⭐ Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 51 49.0%

Votes: 36 34.6%

Votes: 13 12.5%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I just listened to this album for the first time, so beware of a novice writing about an album that many have you have lived and breathed for decades.

I liked it. Karen's vocals were impeccable throughout. I did, however, miss the baroque touches interspersed throughout the first four albums. Those provided a little variation from the balladry and added an eccentric touch to the proceedings. Did Richard not record any more lead vocals from here on out (other than the Christmas albums and the section in Occupants)?

I do wonder though why "Tryin To Get the Feeling" didn't make the cut. It seems melodically stronger (particularly in the verses) than many of the other ballads that were included. Also, I feel that the Nichols/Williams partnership and Bacharach are missed a bit here. Still, I look forward to listening to this album many more times and getting to know the songs better. I'm not going to vote on it yet.

The Single version of Solitaire,
seems to my ears,
sounds 'brighter' than the album version.
Are the strings mixed more 'up front' for the single ?
A great song, I must say #17 does not begin to do it justice.
(Same for #11 for single mix of I Won't Last A Day Without You; a travesty.)
In any event, I fail to imagine Desperado attaining higher charting had it been released instead.

The Single version of Solitaire, seems to my ears, sounds 'brighter' than the album version. Are the strings mixed more 'up front' for the single ?

I think it is a brighter mix. The little guitar figure is always pointed at as the most obvious change, but there are other, more subtle, differences between the single and the album version of "Solitaire". Karen's vocal sounds more upfront at times in the single version, and overall I think it does have a bit of a crisper sound. A big improvement for me, elevating the song to more favored status.

Harry

I think it is a brighter mix. The little guitar figure is always pointed at as the most obvious change, but there are other, more subtle, differences between the single and the album version of "Solitaire". Karen's vocal sounds more upfront at times in the single version, and overall I think it does have a bit of a crisper sound. A big improvement for me, elevating the song to more favored status.

Harry

The piano is also deleted further down the tune in the mix to make room for the lead as well if one listens carefully. If I'm not mistaken, Tony's guitar lines were cut during the session and just mixed out for the album mix preferentially and left in for the single mix.

As news of Glen Frey reached me, I could not help but think of
Desperado
and Karen Carpenter's haunting vocal take of the song.
I thank him for his talents which, in turn, allowed Karen to shine with her talent.
Mark, over at InsightsandSounds, has written a beautiful memorial
to them both.

This Week (on January 25,1975, to be precise):

Please Mr. Postman
reaches #1 on Billboard Charts.

".....it debuted on the Hot 100 at number 77 on November 23, 1974.
Nine weeks later it became the third and final number one single of the Carpenters' career.
Fred Bronson, The Billboard Book of Number One Hits, Billboard, 1988."

Poor Horizon seems to be in a difficult place; a "could've-would've-should've" album if you will. Richard himself calls this album "draggy", and I can see where he's coming from with its ballad-laden tracklist (a tragically short tracklist at that; "Aurora" and "Eventide", wonderful as they are, are not really full "songs" to me). They could've added more upbeat tracks or chosen different material to change it. At the same time, its production, arrangement, and... that voice... are unrivaled. Its songs, individually, are strong and melancholy at its finest. For some, Horizon is the beginning of a new and marvelous musical path; for others, it's the beginning of the end, heralded by the OK Chorale that, almost ironically, signified that things were not really OK. Nonetheless, it really is a sophisticated album, representative of the duo themselves at the time: an image of perfection and well-roundedness becoming undermined by (and almost concealing) some kind of pain.

Horizon. I love the album. One of their best. But for fun, I created a Horizon disc with a few changes. I added Tryin' to Get the Feeling, replaced Solitaire with the single version, and added in Ordinary Fool (just because I love it and her voice seems to fit the Horizon sessions). So it looks like this:

Aurora
Only Yesterday
Desperado
Please Mr. Postman
Tryin' to Get the Feeling
I Can Dream, Can't I?
Solitaire (Single mix)
Ordinary Fool
Happy
I'm Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You
Love Me For What I Am
Eventide

It creates a longer album (43 minutes and 12 songs) and a variety of textures. I tried adding Sailing on the Tide but it just didn't feel right regardless of where I placed it.
Anyway, try listening to it in this order. Tell me what you think. I really like it!

Here is a new promotional ad that I had not seen before, it must have run around the time of Please Mr Postman single as it states Postman was in the top 10 for singles that week.

Cashbox Dec 28, 1974
Cashbox%20Dec%2028%201974%20Carpenters%20Won%20Ad.png~original

Yes, i agree. The front cover and the ones with the two dogs are natural and they look what they are - young, fresh, good looking people. Dressing in a way that suits the exact year they are in. Contrast this to the 'Tan album' inside pic (front for the UK) only 4 years before.

Although, (for some odd reason) I actually like that Tan Album photo...I'm not sure I dislike any photo of the duo, even the cheesy ones.

Perhaps my ears deceive me,
but the very ending of the song
Happy,
as heard on the Japan issued Treasures CD
does not at all sound the same as that on the Horizon mix.

The TREASURES (JP) version of "Happy" fades a few seconds sooner than the HORIZON album version.

Thanks, Harry.
Yes, that last high-pitched instrumentation is chopped off a bit sooner.
And, what is that (last) instrument ? Harmonica ?

Speaking of "Happy", I was curious to know if Karen plays the drums on it? I know she plays on "Postman"...is that the only track featuring her on drums?

Back
Top Bottom