⭐ Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 51 49.0%

Votes: 36 34.6%

Votes: 13 12.5%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Here's "Only Yesterday"

Even if YouTube blocks it, now you have a copy on your computer haha.

This video was a little frustrating because I could tell that the speed was not consistent throughout the original film. I have a feeling that, when lipsyncing was going on, the music was playing more slowly, but whoever edited stitched the pieces together to play faster. I had to ultimately slow it down by five frames (24 frames per second) to make the audio match as best as possible.

Cheers!

Here's "Only Yesterday"

This video was a little frustrating because I could tell that the speed was not consistent throughout the original film. I have a feeling that, when lipsyncing was going on, the music was playing more slowly, but whoever edited stitched the pieces together to play faster. I had to ultimately slow it down by five frames (24 frames per second) to make the audio match as best as possible.
Here's "Only Yesterday"

Cheers!
“Only Yesterday” was originally edited on film, so the audio would’ve been synched originally with the 24fps film. Any later transfers to videotape would’ve introduced a few issues due to needing to speed the film up to 25 or 30 fps.

“Only Yesterday” was originally edited on film, so the audio would’ve been synched originally with the 24fps film. Any later transfers to videotape would’ve introduced a few issues due to needing to speed the film up to 25 or 30 fps.
I de-telecined the video and put the output to 24 fps.

Cheers

Here's "Only Yesterday"

Cheers!

I have to hand it to you. EXCELLENT flat transfer of "Horizon"'s FLAC files. The results are just fantastic. I'm about to convert these to ALAC and keep them. I love that you didn't try to remove the very mild clicks and pops, though I'm sure you'd have done an excellent job if you had. May do that myself too. These are really fun to listen to. I've begun with "Love Me..." (a favorite) and it sounds fantastic. The strings are a bit further forward in places and the backgrounds are too. Even the balance on them is very slightly different. I'm sure this would be a real trip to hear in Quad.

Thanks for the work you've done. I do this all the time so I know it's not the easiest thing.

Ed

I have to hand it to you. EXCELLENT flat transfer of "Horizon"'s FLAC files. The results are just fantastic. I'm about to convert these to ALAC and keep them. I love that you didn't try to remove the very mild clicks and pops, though I'm sure you'd have done an excellent job if you had. May do that myself too. These are really fun to listen to. I've begun with "Love Me..." (a favorite) and it sounds fantastic. The strings are a bit further forward in places and the backgrounds are too. Even the balance on them is very slightly different. I'm sure this would be a real trip to hear in Quad.

Thanks for the work you've done. I do this all the time so I know it's not the easiest thing.

Ed
Thank you! Unfortunately, I had to remove three major clicks in "Happy." When I first got the record, maybe 10 years ago at this point, I accidentally dug a deep scratch across those three grooves with my record player at the time, and they clicks have been there ever since... but thank goodness for technology that allows me to digitally remove those! Haha!

Here's "Only Yesterday"

Cheers!
It said Transfer Expired, I would LOVE to listen to it if I could....thanks!

Thank you! Unfortunately, I had to remove three major clicks in "Happy." When I first got the record, maybe 10 years ago at this point, I accidentally dug a deep scratch across those three grooves with my record player at the time, and they clicks have been there ever since... but thank goodness for technology that allows me to digitally remove those! Haha!

Gotta love digital editing. Clicks disappear easily as long as there aren't too many that need to go. You can knock a tune out of time by going too far. You didn't so no worries. Another excellent transfer. This is very different. Folded down, the synths in the b-sections really pop out. There's also more reverb on Karen's lead here. The backgrounds are even a bit louder in places. When the second b-section comes in, the synth really pops with Karen & Richard falling behind in that spot. Probably sounds great in Quad too. So many other little differences here. Really fun to hear. I'm moving glacially through these and enjoying the trip.

Thanks again! I'm beginning to think I need to find one of these. 'Course, your "rip" is likely better than mine would be but I'd love to have one for the site to scan.

Ed

Folded down, the synths in the b-sections really pop out.
My suspicion is that, due to quad oddities, some tracks are actually inverted, so say you have an inverted piano in the left channel and a normal piano in the right channel, when you fold it down to mono, you get basically zero piano, or only residual piano... so that tends to make other things, like synths, really pop. I don't know how the technology works, but I can hear the inversion over the speakers when I listen to the quad "Singles 1969-1973" on my stereo setup!

So many other little differences here. Really fun to hear. I'm moving glacially through these and enjoying the trip.
I'm also so glad that you enjoy the transfer! One of my favorite subtle differences on this entire record (which I have mentioned before) is Karen's alternate take on the line "...the pain I was going through, and waitin' was all my heart could do..."

I never tire anymore of Solitaire....used to hate it when I first heard it on the Singles 74-78 in Summer of 1988.....but now I adore it to bits and think it is her crowning vocal achievement....well for me it is tied with SUPERSTAR....the two best songs they ever did...

In Carpenters: The Musical Legacy's studio discography section, there was a particular entry I decided not to include with regard to the song "Happy."

I can, however, explain it here because member @Cuyler has been so kind as to post links to the quad versions of the Horizon album. The section I'm about to refer to is only most audible in this particular mix. In other words, it wouldn't have made sense to try and write about it for the general public, who otherwise may not have access to the quad mix.

At 3:07, the ARP Odyssey synth begins its solo. At 3:18, following a single measure hold (on an A natural), it jumps the octave, and a second synth track (overdub) begins to play a 5-note figure, starting on the major third, which then conintually repeats to fade.

This repeating figure was also given to the viola section, playing the same harmonic structure from the root (in a pizzicato style) a measure earlier. For some reason, violist Sam Boghossian just couldn't find the groove, which is not uncommon for classically trained string players. He felt so bad, he even offered to stay late that night following the session until he got it right. Richard chuckles to this day, and remembers saying "It's alright Sam, we'll take care of it."

Chris

I'm also so glad that you enjoy the transfer! One of my favorite subtle differences on this entire record (which I have mentioned before) is Karen's alternate take on the line "...the pain I was going through, and waitin' was all my heart could do..."
I love these quad mixes because you can really hear some of the backing vocal lines that are virtually impossible to single out with your ears only in the original mix. Thanks for sharing!

This repeating figure was also given to the viola section, playing the same harmonic structure from the root (in a pizzicato style) a measure earlier. For some reason, violist Sam Boghossian just couldn't find the groove, which is not uncommon for classically trained string players). He felt so bad, he even offered to stay late that night following the session until he got it right. Richard chuckles to this day, and remembers saying "It's alright Sam, we'll take care of it."
I love, love, love the stories you are able to tell about the Carpenters behind the scenes, @Chris May! Thank you so so much for sharing. When I first got the Horizon CD (the Remastered Classics edition) probably in 2005(?), I got it especially to listen to "Only Yesterday," but found myself falling in love with Side 2, particular because of that ARP Odyssey synth on "Happy." So, a few years later, when I found this very quad disc for $4.00 at a used record store, I was like, "Sure, why not? When will that ever come along ever again?" (the only other disc I've seen on sale is currently going for $400+ on eBay). This was the first major difference I noticed on the disc. (I think I was so excited, that's when I took the stylus off the record to swing it back to the beginning, and that's when I dug those deep scratches in the grooves... still kicking myself about it to this day.)

It's so good to know the full story behind this little idiosyncrasy on this album. To this day, I consider the entire Horizon album, from the music on the record to the envelope-style packaging, Ed Caraeff's photography, and the Goudy-esque typeface to be artistry at its finest. Horizon will always be one of my favorites.

For anyone visiting this thread after four days from now (basically in June 2021 or later):

I’m also blown away at how you can really hear how delicate a touch Richard could have on the piano in Karen’s first few phrases of Desperado. He’s really almost just barely playing behind her, and you have to have a really great instrument and versatile touch to be able to play that delicately behind her. You can really tell how thoughtful he was in the arrangement here to let her almost entirely have the listener’s ear in these first few phrases. And you can really hear this all in this quad mix you shared. Superb.

I’m also blown away at how you can really hear how delicate a touch Richard could have on the piano in Karen’s first few phrases of Desperado. He’s really almost just barely playing behind her, and you have to have a really great instrument and versatile touch to be able to play that delicately behind her. You can really tell how thoughtful he was in the arrangement here to let her almost entirely have the listener’s ear in these first few phrases. And you can really hear this all in this quad mix you shared. Superb.
Totally agreed. Listening to Richard play the piano while Karen sang is one of the reasons why I firmly believe that I'm a better accompanist than soloist when it comes to the piano. He, Elton John, and Billy Joel are the three pianists that come to mind when I think of good accompanists who pull back when appropriate and add flourishes to fill the spaces where the singer goes silent or takes a breath.

Per @Chris May, the piano track on "Desperado" on the quad vinyl is an alternate take (I think from start to finish). It's such a treat to hear Richard's talent on two different takes of "Desperado" imho. I think Karen's vocals are an alternate take at a few points throughout the song as well, if I'm not mistaken. In either case, Rich and Karen never cease to disappoint and amaze!

The piano he plays on the quad mix of Our Day Will Come is Richard at his finest. His jazz styling blows me away every time I listen to it. CD-4 or SQ. Both sound amazing. The race cars and crashes are different however on the 2 formats. One crashes on the front and center speakers, the other on the rear speakers. You get about 5 Karen’s singing on Johnny Angel too. Wish there had been CTY, Carpenters, and A Song For You vinyl releases in the states or Japan. Only 8-tracks and super rare reel to reel. As I’ve said before, Jambalaya has the best mix of all quad songs, I think. It actually makes the song more appealing, and fun.

I think Karen's vocals are an alternate take at a few points throughout the song as well, if I'm not mistaken.
The bulk of the vocal tracks on the song are the same take as the standard album version. I confirmed this in Audacity. The only deviation occurs from 2:24 to 2:38 into the track. The phrase:

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses, come down from your fences,

then the two are the same again from "open the gate"

Just an FYI, if your looking for test pressings of the quad version of “Horizon”, they are on eBay being listed from about $5,000 CDN to $6,500 CDN!
Interesting thing, looks like the tests were pressed on October 22, 1975.

They don’t sound any better than regular pressings from my experience. Worth maybe $100-150 US dollars max. They have been on EBay for months now. I doubt they will sell at that inflated price, but there’s always a taker out there somewhere. I have several Carpenters test pressings of regular stereo albums, and there is not one note different. Just a collectors item, more novelty than anything I think. Usually the label sends them out in advance of the actual promo copy to follow a few weeks later. No artwork. Usually a piece of paper taped on the outside with all the album information on it.

Happy Birthday
Horizon !
Date of Release: June 6, 1975
WOW! I remember hitching to the mall and blowing off school to buy this album. I was so excited. Walking out of Sam Goody I almost walked right into my Aunt. I rarely got away with anything. Great memories/great album.

Back
Top Bottom