⭐ Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 18 20.0%

Votes: 48 53.3%

Votes: 15 16.7%

Votes: 8 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“LOVELINES”

lovelines.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M SP-3931
Date of Release: 10/31/89
Chart Position: U.K.: #73
Album Singles: "Honolulu City Lights"/"I Just Fall In Love Again"
"If I Had You"/"The Uninvited Guest"
Format: Vinyl/Cassette/CD

Track Listing:

1.) Lovelines 4:28 (Temperton)
2.) Where Do I Go From Here? 4:24 (McGee)
3.) The Uninvited Guest 4:24 (Kaye/Tweel)
4.) If We Try 3:42 (Temperton)
5.) When I Fall In Love 3:08 (Heyman/Young)
6.) Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night 4:03 (Lawley/Dorn)
7.) Remember When Lovin' Took All Night 3:47 (Farrar/Leikin)
8.) You're The One 4:13 (Ferguson)
9.) Honolulu City Lights 3:19 (Beamer)
10.) Slow Dance 3:35 (Margo)
11.) If I Had You 3:57 (Dorff /Harju/Herbstritt)
12.) Little Girl Blue 3:24 (Rodgers/Hart)

Album Credits:

Produced by Richard Carpenter, except #1, 4, 7 and 11: Produced by Phil Ramone
Tracks #1, 4, 7 & 11:
Recorded at A&R Recording Studios, New York, New York; A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood California; and Kendun Recorders, Burbank, California
Engineered by: Jim Boyer, Glenn Berger, James Gutherie and Ray Gerhardt
Assistants: Bradshaw Leigh, Chaz Clifton, Dave Iveland, Ralph Osborne, Randy Pipes and David Crowther
Selections #4 & 6 remixed by Phil Ramone & Jim Boyer in M.E.S.M.
Selections #1 & 11 remixed by Robert De La Garza; Assistant: Greg Goldman
Tracks #2, 5, 8 & 12:
Recorded and mixed at A&M Recording Studios
Engineered by: Ray Gerhardt and Roger Young; Assistant: Dave Iveland
Mixing engineer: Robert De La Garza; Assistant: Greg Goldman
Tracks #3, 6, 9 & 10:
Recorded and mixed at A&M Recording Studios
Tracks 3 & 6 engineered by Roger Young; Assistants: Dave Iveland and Robert De La Garza
Tracks 9 & 10 engineered by Roger Young; Mixing engineer: Robert De La Garza; Assistant: Greg Goldman
Mastered by Mike Reese at A&M Mastering Studios
Art direction: Chuck Beeson; Design: Peter Grant; Photography: Norman Seeff (front cover), Ed Caraeff (back cover)
Special "thanks": Greg Goldman, Roger Young, Robert De La Garza, Ray Gerhardt, Ron Gorow, Peter Knight, Karen Ichiuji, Roberta Kleine, Nancy Sorkow, David Alley and Billy Jones / Ardel Travel

Karen A. Carpenter Memorial Foundation
P.O. Box 1368
Downey, CA 90240

I love Lovelines! I consider it one of Carpenters best albums! It was released in 1989 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their signing with A&M Records and included songs that had played in the movie The Karen Carpenter Story. Lovelines contains 1 track from 1977, 5 tracks from 1978, 4 tracks from 1979 and 2 tracks from 1980. "You're The One" is from 1977, outtake from Passage. "Where Do I Go From Here", "Honolulu City Lights" and "Slow Dance" are from sessions in 1978, maybe for a supposed album that never came to reality. Also from 1978 are "When I Fall In Love" and "Little Girl Blue". Both of them were recorded for their 1978 TV Special, however the first one only appeared in their 1980 TV Special. "Lovelines", "If We Try", "Remember When Lovin' Took All Night" and "If I Had You" were all recorded in 1979 for Karen Carpenter's solo album. They were remixed by Richard, and the bass lines were replaced by Joe Osborn. "The Uninvited Guest"and "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night" are outtakes from Made In America, recorded in 1980. The fans were very pleased when this album came out, after a long time since Voice Of The Heart and An Old-Fashioned Christmas. Especially because it contained selections from Karen's solo album! It's really an excellent album!

Far and away the best posthumous Carpenters release, 'Lovelines' has everything....great music, great performances and a teaser for Karen's solo album. It's much more cohesive than 'Voice of the Heart' and holds together amazingly well. That makes it more diverse, upbeat and fun, while still retaining the unmistakable Carpenters/Karen Carpenter sound.

'You're The One', 'Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night' and 'Where Do I Go From Here' stand up to anything Karen and Richard ever put to tape. Great stuff. It's just a class act all the way around....great collection of songs and excellent cover, too.

I agree it is the best of the post-Karen's-passing albums, as it should be, since it was kind of a "best of what's left" album. I suppose at this point Richard figured that her solo album would never see the light of day anyway so that's why the tracks from it were included. As an album, it doesn't hold together as well as some of their best efforts, but that's understandable since it's really a compilation, not an album "proper." I like it, but don't play it often as a whole...I listen to favorite cuts on compilations mostly these days.

The album credits state that selections #4 and #6 were remixed by Phil Ramone and Jim Boyer in M.E.S.M. Song #4 is IF WE TRY and I understand Phil's involvement but Track#6 is KISS ME THE WAY YOU DID LAST NIGHT and I was under the impression that this was simply CarpenterS and not a solo offering. Where and when did Ramone dabble here? KISS ME....is the outstanding CarpenterS included on this record. It has the polished sophistication that time morphed to sheer perfection. Thriving in the studio with this refined sound. Fresh, innovative overdubs, the arrangement is indicative of RC's potential when leaving the OK Chorale in the corral. This should've been the lead single from Made in America. Why we have the doomed, damned Wedding Song is a mystery to my ears. The Uninvited Guest is a triumph. Simple arrangement and Karen flourishes. You're The One is a flawless vocal. Listen- to-listen I hear utter brilliance at Karen's mastery of her instrument. Listen to her breath control, diction, phrasing, power. Remarkable. Should I intro the new recruit to an impeccable Karen Carpenter delivery this tune would surely say it all. Really guys, find a quiet spot and give this song a quick study. I'm willing to bet you'll be stumbling for glorious adjectives as I am.

This is a bit of a tangential, but relevant (I think), sidebar (because it relates to songs that were recorded in the late 1970’s and only later found their ways onto albums): can someone help me understand the context of “I Believe You” as a single in June of 1978? “Sweet, Sweet Smile” had just been released six months earlier as the final single from an actual album, Passage, it was fairly successful in some markets, and it seems what naturally would follow the last single from an album is some time off to create a new one, right? I’d be interested in folks' thoughts as to why the duo felt an immediate follow-up single was needed? At the time, were they anticipating the release of a new album by that fall? Did A&M just want to have new “product” on the airwaves? Any insights would be appreciated.

Relatedly, does anybody else find the overtly sexual, “I Believe You,” to be a HUGE leap for the duo, in terms of lyric content for a single? “Superstar,” an early single, was certainly sexual, but sanitized for young Karen, but “I Believe You” is pretty literal, in terms of sexual content, to wit: “I believe you when you say that every time that we make love will be the first time we've made love and every act of love will please you...I believe you when you say you’ll fill my body with your soul (icky*), and love will grow into a freckled little girl...” I mean, I get it; the song was released in a time when pop music was ramping-up its sexually-charged/suggestive lyrics: “How Deep Is Your Love?” “I Wanna Kiss You All Over” “Tonight’s The Night” and “Do You Wanna Make Love?” Maybe it was part of the duo’s continued attempt, as People magazine put it a few years earlier, “to grow up.” Thoughts?

This is my favorite Carpenters album that was released after Karen passed on. Voice Of The Heart is my second favorite! I am happy that I have some of Karen's solo work on vinyl. The last vinyl I was able to get was a Greatest Hits compilation (Only Yesterday?) that was issued in the UK. I enjoy this album from start to finish...

The album credits state that selections #4 and #6 were remixed by Phil Ramone and Jim Boyer in M.E.S.M. Song #4 is IF WE TRY and I understand Phil's involvement but Track#6 is KISS ME THE WAY YOU DID LAST NIGHT and I was under the impression that this was simply CarpenterS and not a solo offering. Where and when did Ramone dabble here? KISS ME....is the outstanding CarpenterS included on this record. It has the polished sophistication that time morphed to sheer perfection. Thriving in the studio with this refined sound. Fresh, innovative overdubs, the arrangement is indicative of RC's potential when leaving the OK Chorale in the corral. This should've been the lead single from Made in America. Why we have the doomed, damned Wedding Song is a mystery to my ears. The Uninvited Guest is a triumph. Simple arrangement and Karen flourishes. You're The One is a flawless vocal. Listen- to-listen I hear utter brilliance at Karen's mastery of her instrument. Listen to her breath control, diction, phrasing, power. Remarkable. Should I intro the new recruit to an impeccable Karen Carpenter delivery this tune would surely say it all. Really guys, find a quiet spot and give this song a quick study. I'm willing to bet you'll be stumbling for glorious adjectives as I am.

Actually,the album credits state tracks #4("If We Try") and #7("Remember When...") were remixed by Phil Ramone and Jim Boyer.These were evidently done in 1980. Richard remixed "Lovelines" and "If I Had You" in 1989.

This is a bit of a tangential, but relevant (I think), sidebar (because it relates to songs that were recorded in the late 1970’s and only later found their ways onto albums): can someone help me understand the context of “I Believe You” as a single in June of 1978? “Sweet, Sweet Smile” had just been released six months earlier as the final single from an actual album, Passage, it was fairly successful in some markets, and it seems what naturally would follow the last single from an album is some time off to create a new one, right? I’d be interested in folks' thoughts as to why the duo felt an immediate follow-up single was needed? At the time, were they anticipating the release of a new album by that fall? Did A&M just want to have new “product” on the airwaves? Any insights would be appreciated.

Relatedly, does anybody else find the overtly sexual, “I Believe You,” to be a HUGE leap for the duo, in terms of lyric content for a single? “Superstar,” an early single, was certainly sexual, but sanitized for young Karen, but “I Believe You” is pretty literal, in terms of sexual content, to wit: “I believe you when you say that every time that we make love will be the first time we've made love and every act of love will please you...I believe you when you say you’ll fill my body with your soul (icky*), and love will grow into a freckled little girl...” I mean, I get it; the song was released in a time when pop music was ramping-up its sexually-charged/suggestive lyrics: “How Deep Is Your Love?” “I Wanna Kiss You All Over” “Tonight’s The Night” and “Do You Wanna Make Love?” Maybe it was part of the duo’s continued attempt, as People magazine put it a few years earlier, “to grow up.” Thoughts?

"I Believe You" was released as a single in October, 1978-and was intended to be a preview of the new album that was planned for Spring 1979.Most of the album was recorded at that point,but by early 1979-K&R decided to shelve it.This is the reason why those 1978 tracks ended up appearing on later albums.

I agree- "I Believe You" is one of K&R's more "avante-garde" recordings.Very classy track & mature lyrics.

Getting back to the topic at hand-"Lovelines" turned out to be one of K&R's finest albums,and I feel it's even superior to some of the 70's albums.

[quote="mr J., post: "I Believe You" was released as a single in October, 1978-and was intended to be a preview of the new album that was planned for Spring 1979.Most of the album was recorded at that point,but by early 1979-K&R decided to shelve it.This is the reason why those 1978 tracks ended up appearing on later albums.[/quote]

Many thanks, mr. J! Question: do you have a song list of the shelved album? It woul be interesting to get a sense of what they were puttin together at the time. Any rumored titles? So interesting...

I like Lovelines a lot. I can't decide if I like it or Voice of the Heart more, but that's because they're both great. I'd just like to point out that while I like Richard's remixes a little bit more than the original, he very thankfully left the instrumentation alone on If We Try and Lovelines. Joe Osborne would have ruined those two tracks. His style just does not suit them at all. Ol' thunder thumbs really makes those tracks what they are.

7 lines below the above listed album credits heading you WILL see that it states Ramone and Boyer remixed tracks 4 and 6! While clearly indicating that Phil produced tracks 1,4,7,11. Now am I cross-eyed or what? My guess is that it's a typo but nonetheless it begs the question why did Phil Ramone dabble here remixing selection#6? AHA!!! Alas, a typo it twas. I checked my LOVELINES liner notes to discover that PR's involvement begins and ends with selections 1,4,7,11. For a brief moment I thought the sparring had commenced.

All's well

Upon a fresh listen Kiss Me The Way You Did's harmonies, structure, creativity put such an evolving spin on the vocals lead and backup. This tune should've made it's debut on MIA as intended. It's certainly as worthy or more than Touch Me as a single release in '81. Still sounds fantastic and a hot track. Easily making the AC charts of the day. This production gives me an inkling where Richard could've headed foregoing his oft induced chorale singers.

"Grow up, teenagers, make sex", lol! There are quite a few songs done by the Carpenters that I listen to solely for the fact that Karen sang them, I wouldn't bother playing I believe you if not for this reason, the lyrics are very ridiculous, "I'd live in a cave if you wanted to"?? What?? "Steal a star so you can put it on my finger"? Why would anyone believe him, it is pretty much more like "are you for real?" than "I believe you". "Frecked little girl"?? And overall the song is tedious, Karen does the best as usual to break this sleepy monotony but... no, thanks.

Lovelines makes it for a fine listen however there's not much extraordinarily exciting about the album to my ears, Carly Simon's Little Girl blue is much more compelling, When I fall in love has ran out of "listenability", the overcrowded arrangements of You're the one and When I fall in love get in Karen's way instead of helping her and the character of The uninvited guest is as stupid as her sister of Strength of a woman. I can't have enough of Slow dance though!

I prefer Voice Of The Heart, especially for Now/ Make Believe'/ At the End'/ Ordinary Fool/ Your Baby'.

The Carpenters were most definitely on the artistic ascent after the critical disappointments of Hush and Passage.

I still remember my shock, and elation, at seeing "Lovelines" in the record store , at the time of its release. Seems there was little promotion,
and it should have been released as soon as the KC Story TV-Movie aired. The hype-sticker on the LP specifically targets the songs "You're the One"
and "Where Do I Go From Here" as being from the Movie. Rolling Stone magazine even gave it a favorable review at the time.
The album has always been one of my favorites, with some outstanding arrangements and, of course, flawless , lovely vocals.
Never understood its poor chart performance, as it deserved much better.

Timing and promotion. Lovelines should have been released right before The Karen Carpenter Story aired. Sales of their albums picked up after the TV movie and with the sticker promoting the TV movie this would have sold.

Viewing my vinyl LP of Lovelines , the hype-sticker on cover also promotes " Carpenters' 20th Anniversary",
The vinyl itself is nearly translucent, very light-weight, and is tinged purple.
The Cover artwork /photo is itself stunning.

Again, quoting from the 1994 Coleman Biography:
Page 329--
"Lovelines...a potpourri...included four songs from Karen's solo album.
These inferior tracks proved the wisdom of the earlier decision to stop the album,
...serving to underscore the value of Richard's stewardship."

Thankfully, the album review in Rolling Stone (February 1990) got it right:
"Four of those unreleased cuts surface on Lovelines, and they are liberating...
her vocals come damn close to soulful."

Back
Top Bottom