⭐ Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 18 20.0%

Votes: 48 53.3%

Votes: 15 16.7%

Votes: 8 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I was just thinking, but in 1989, I wonder if A&M USA was sending analog copies to the foreign offices, like A&M Canada for them to make their LP, Cassette and CD releases from? I would assume that in the US, the LP’s and cassettes were mastered from analog masters, while the CD had a digital master. But here in Canada, while I know from my CD copy that has aad on it the everything was recorded and mixed in analog, I wonder what master A&M Canada was using. Did A&M just send one digital master to Canada for all 3 formats (in which case, did AMC make an analog master from the digital for the LP & cassette versions) or did A&M USA send both an analog and digital master for A&M Canada to use?

I don't think I've ever seen any debate about this version of the song compared to Karen's on this forum - originally recorded by Jennifer Warnes. A different, but equally lovely take. Nobody belts it out like Karen does though.

I don't think I've ever seen any debate about this version of the song compared to Karen's on this forum - originally recorded by Jennifer Warnes. A different, but equally lovely take. Nobody belts it out like Karen does though.

Hi, Newvillefan. I remember contributing to a discussion on here about this a couple of years ago.

One thing I’ll say is that Richard did a good job of modifying the chords, to make a more flowing and satisfying song than Jennifer Warnes’ version. Warnes’ version is more stilted as, due to the chords chosen, it seems to come to a stand-still at the end of each stanza and then has to re-start.

Jennifer Warnes, herself, does a good job with her delivery. I think it’s her arrangement or the original composition that is lacking.

Kudos to Richard

Hi, Newvillefan. I remember contributing to a discussion on here about this a couple of years ago.

One thing I’ll say is that Richard did a good job of modifying the chords, to make a more flowing and satisfying song than Jennifer Warnes’ version. Warnes’ version is more stilted as, due to the chords chosen, it seems to come to a stand-still at the end of each stanza and then has to re-start.

Jennifer Warnes, herself, does a good job with her delivery. I think it’s her arrangement or the original composition that is lacking.

Kudos to Richard
What I find annoying about Jennifer's version, is that her vocal is so buried in the mix. It sounds like she's standing behind the orchestra, rather than in front of it. Thank goodness that Richard got it right, and put Karen front and center.

I never liked how it sounded at 3:06...."And that's..." it always grated my ears....a beautiful song but never cared for how her voice sounded at that place...

No, nobody "belts" this song out like Karen - it seems to have been deliberately composed to give her a chance to "stretch" on a romantic ballad and to showcase exactly how strong and resonant her so-called "warm and soft" voice could become - given the right material and arrangement - she demonstrated this before on several recordings, most notably on the classic Christmas song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (where even her vibrato - always present but mostly restrained and subtle - stands out firm and gorgeous)...

I don't agree that Warnes' version is equally lovely, although it is different (including some lyrics) and pleasant - with her relatively weak and "whispery" voice it would have been better to let the acoustic guitars accompany her all the way through and ditch the orchestral arrangement (which not only buries her under it's layers but seems a tad amateurish, as if set up by some High School band director overreaching his command of the techniques required)...

Back
Top Bottom