⭐ Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 18 20.0%

Votes: 48 53.3%

Votes: 15 16.7%

Votes: 8 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
^^My ears must be missing something,
as the actual background harmonies on You're The One
do not "sound" like the usual K&R multi-harmony background.

I think that’s because they’re mixed very low in the background compared to the usual Carpenters overdubs. They do become slightly more audible on the next line “is that you’re mine”.

Lovelines. Special times. Great leftovers, worth a second helping! Four (!!!) solo songs from Karen's shelved solo album. Jackpot! :) One of the essential releases from the Carpenters culled from 1977-1980. I think it comes across as a good studio album, nothing seeming really out of place, and works well with Karen's solo material. Evidently Richard must of accepted these songs more than the powers at A&M, or why would they be here? I find it interesting that four "Karen" tracks show up on a Carpenters album, when we now know that more Carpenters material was still in the can. Or was it just easier to use these tracks rather than complete other unfinished tracks?

But I'm not arguing, just enjoying! These are some of the strongest Carpenters tracks released in the 1980's, period.

I find it interesting that four "Karen" tracks show up on a Carpenters album, when we now know that more Carpenters material was still in the can. Or was it just easier to use these tracks rather than complete other unfinished tracks?

(In reference to the LP Lovelines 1989)
Does anyone have any facts or theories about this?
This just kind of slipped out of my head yesterday, and I don't know if it's been discussed previously or not, or if anyone even questioned this?

This just kind of slipped out of my head yesterday, and I don't know if it's been discussed previously or not, or if anyone even questioned this?

I don't think anyone knows the definitive answer as to why Richard decided to include tracks from Karen's solo album on the last Carpenters studio release, especially given that he and A&M deemed the album unreleasable at the time. He doesn't give any indication as to the reason why in the liner notes for Lovelines. Whilst I'm glad he included them, I think it's still an insult to Karen that he felt they were worthy of release in 1989 (albeit only with his personal remixing) after telling her the album was "sh*t" in 1980. Who knows. Maybe he felt they were the best of the bunch and with a little work could be spruced up. Maybe he thought the other as-yet unreleased Carpenters tracks wouldn't fit the mood of the album. Maybe this was his way of relenting to Carpenters fans hounding him for the last piece of Karen's legacy by giving them a taster. Whatever the reason, the fact that he did include these tracks, and those on From The Top, only served to intensify the demand from the fans that he release the entire album in its finished form. And I'm glad we finally got it.

I expect that after the hammering he received from the public and wanting to maximize sales, he included the tracks.

Was the album marketed with the knowledge that there were Karen solo tracks on this Carpenters album?

by this time, there was very little marketing. I happened to be in a mall and my spidey sense directed me to what was in the old days called a " record store ", the clerk told me it had just arrived. that day it was only the lp that was on display.

by this time, there was very little marketing. I happened to be in a mall and my spidey sense directed me to what was in the old days called a " record store ", the clerk told me it had just arrived. that day it was only the lp that was on display.

lol. I've been rummaging record stores since I was a child. That's how I found lots of my "stuff." I do believe it was their only vinyl copy though. CD's were big by then, and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't that the last new Carpenters release that was pressed on Vinyl? I have it too! :) My clue was when I picked up my CD and it said of course *produced by Richard Carpenter. Then under that **produced by Phil Ramone. ??? But I didn't know their was a solo album until I read Richard's (always wonderful) liner notes. Then confused, solo album, but where is it? I looked through old Billboard magazines (thank you Paul Grein) and eventually found the answer. No instant gratification in the pre-internet days!

Thank you @ars nova :)

Was the album marketed with the knowledge that there were Karen solo tracks on this Carpenters album?
Yes it was. I have a marketing package for the album. Plus the single “If I Had You” was put out as a Karen Carpenter solo single (although the “B-side” was credited to the Carpenters).

I’ve played the cassette of “If I Had You/The Uninvited Guest” a few times now. Funny thing is it seems to have a jazzier mix for “If I Had You” than I’ve heard on the pink promo CD or the “Lovelines” mix that appears on “Lovelines” and “Interpretations”. The brass instruments seem to be more forward in the mix and brighter than on the CD versions. I wonder if it’s an earlier remix that Richard was thinking of but then changed his mind on the jazzier mix and buried the brass for a more pop mix. Maybe that’s why the cassette single is so rare—Richard had it pulled or cancelled after a short print run.

I think it's fairly typical that many listeners to commercially recorded cassettes will turn off the Dolby B processing as it seems "dull" with it turned on. I know I've done that with the few purchased cassettes that I've had.

With Dolby off, you're hearing an emphasis in certain higher frequencies, which would probably account for the perception of the brass being louder.

When I want to digitize a cassette, I've found that I have to switch the Dolby off, and then with software in the computer, attempt to compensate for the exaggerated highs.

This video is the fantasy of any Karen Carpenter/Carpenters fan! What if???

Last edited:
You Know, over the last few months "Lovelines" has really grown on me to the point where It's currently my favourite album definitely stronger than any other albums released posthumously.

I still feel that had the 1978-1979 been released it would have been pretty strong:

1. I Believe You
2. Dancing In The Streets
3. Slow Dance
4. Look To Your Dreams
5. Honolulu City Lights
6. Where Do I Go From Here
7. When I Fall In Love
8. Leave Yesterday Behind
9. Little Girl Blue
10. You're The One
11. Thank You For The Music

You Know, over the last few months "Lovelines" has really grown on me to the point where It's currently my favourite album definitely stronger than any other albums released posthumously.

I still feel that had the 1978-1979 been released it would have been pretty strong:

1. I Believe You
3. Slow Dance
4. Look To Your Dreams
5. Honolulu City Lights
7. When I Fall In Love
9. Little Girl Blue
10. You're The One

these are all terrific cuts, but there is nothing here that a&m felt would gather airplay. when I called and was told the album had been shelved, I asked why; I was told the album was stale. dancing in the streets, if a complete track had been recorded, might have been successful.

1. I Believe You
3. Slow Dance
4. Look To Your Dreams
5. Honolulu City Lights
7. When I Fall In Love
9. Little Girl Blue
10. You're The One

I'd have to disagree with you there. There are some nice tracks on there but nothing remotely resembling a hit, and too many covers, ballads and old-fashioned songs. It would have been completely out of step with the contemporary music scene in 1979 and I suspect would have bombed if it had been released.

Already, in 1978, I Believe You became their worst selling-Single to that point in time (?).
I still find it hard to believe when Karen says: "on I Believe You or Close To You, it's four-part harmony.
We sing it, then triple each one." (October 30, 1978; RDigest Liner Notes).
The four-part harmony between those two songs does NOT sound anything alike (to my ears).
Needless to say, I always felt IBY was a nice album cut, yett dubious as a Single release.
No matter what album had been created, and released--in 1978/1979,
it was going to be an uphill battle !

these are all terrific cuts, but there is nothing here that a&m felt would gather airplay.

It would have been completely out of step with the contemporary music scene in 1979

Needless to say, I always felt IBY was a nice album cut, yet dubious as a Single release. No matter what album had been created, and released--in 1978/1979, it was going to be an uphill battle !

I wish a 10th anniversary studio album would of been released, but I agree that just those songs from Simon's list would of been a bit of a snooze-fest. But broken up and released on various albums, the songs are decent.

I think what makes the album "Lovelines" stronger, and a different listening experience are the Karen Carpenter solo tracks intermixed. I think Richard heard 'something' in those songs or he would have not released them as part of a Carpenters album. Karen actually had (somewhat) of a hit with "If I Had You" which was probably the highest chart action the Carpenters had posthumously!

In many people's eyes the Carpenters have always been out of step with the contemporary music scene. It would of been a battle to have a hit single, or album no matter what. We are a small number of truly dedicated appreciators, so we would like to hear it, regardless of it's commercial value. But we don't want to embarrass Richard either.........

Already, in 1978, I Believe You became their worst selling-Single to that point in time (?).
I still find it hard to believe when Karen says: "on I Believe You or Close To You, it's four-part harmony.
We sing it, then triple each one." (October 30, 1978; RDigest Liner Notes).
The four-part harmony between those two songs does NOT sound anything alike (to my ears).
Needless to say, I always felt IBY was a nice album cut, yett dubious as a Single release.
No matter what album had been created, and released--in 1978/1979,
it was going to be an uphill battle !

I really need to crank up the wayback machine, but I think the poor response to I BELIEVE YOU is what lead to the album being shelved. this is kind of a blur, because CHRISTMAS POITRAIT and THE SINGLES 1974-1978 were also released in that timeframe.

by the time LOVELINES was released, WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE had been a hit for England Dan a John Ford Coley, but I don't know if carpenters recorded it first or at the same time, as with TRYING TO GET THE FEELING AGAIN and Barry Manilow.

I wish a 10th anniversary studio album would of been released, but I agree that just those songs from Simon's list would of been a bit of a snooze-fest. But broken up and released on various albums, the songs are decent.

I think what makes the album "Lovelines" stronger, and a different listening experience are the Karen Carpenter solo tracks intermixed. I think Richard heard 'something' in those songs or he would have not released them as part of a Carpenters album. Karen actually had (somewhat) of a hit with "If I Had You" which was probably the highest chart action the Carpenters had posthumously!

In many people's eyes the Carpenters have always been out of step with the contemporary music scene. It would of been a battle to have a hit single, or album no matter what. We are a small number of truly dedicated appreciators, so we would like to hear it, regardless of it's commercial value. But we don't want to embarrass Richard either.........

carpenters might be described as out of step, but they were selling. a bazillion different factors could have influenced their slump, but I know, given time and a refocus of their personal lives, they would have rallied, perhaps not as the carpenters touring group or carpenters weak abc-specials act, but they would have survived the trends by not giving in to the trend.

According Wikipedia, “Make Believe” (Carpenters version) is the highest, hitting at #7 on the US AC chart (same position as “Sweet Sweet Smile”). The next was “Your Baby” at #12 followed by “If I Had You” (same position as “Beechwood 4-5789” & “Calling Occupants”).

According Wikipedia, “Make Believe” (Carpenters version) is the highest, hitting at #7 on the US AC chart (same position as “Sweet Sweet Smile”). The next was “Your Baby” at #12 followed by “If I Had You” (same position as “Beechwood 4-5789” & “Calling Occupants”).

It's OK to be wrong. I made my point, and thank you for setting the record straight! :)

Back
Top Bottom