• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 9 10.5%

Votes: 43 50.0%

Votes: 28 32.6%

Votes: 6 7.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LondonRobert

View attachment 3301

If any of you have the COMPACT DISC COLLECTION from the UK (1990), that version of PASSAGE also had the 80s "better" mastering - same as the A&M CD from the 80s and the SWEET MEMORY set. All of those sound better than the Remastered Classic versions and those in 1998 or later box sets.

No commercial CD has the single - or LP - mix with the right-trailing reverb. You'll need original vinyl for that.
Thanks Harry,
I do have that box set and as you say, it does sound better than the remastered classics version.
The box set also include ms a carbon copy of the MFSL release of the a song for you album, which is a great version ( apart from remix of IGTTST !)
How do you feel the other discs in this UK collection compare Harry?

Rob.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
As I recall, most of the other discs are pretty much straight clones of the early A&M's.

tomswift2002

Can't work out which chart this is, or who the DJ is, but All You Get from Love is a Love Song is charting at #24 in the UK here in May 1977...
I already posted that over here: Heard Carpenters

Post 767. It would be interesting to know where the AYGFALS hit #24 as there’s no known chart action for it in the UK or Ireland. (I was just looking at OfficialReports.com and there is no sign of the Carpenters being on the UK May 77 charts, or Dolly Parton being on there either.). I wonder if his tape is from a different country like Australia?

Brian

It would be interesting to know where the AYGFALS hit #24 as there’s no known chart action for it in the UK. I wonder if his tape is from a different country like Australia?
Ah! I can offer an opinion on that, Tomswift. There was very little chart action for AYGFLIALS in Australia, either. It only reached Number 89 and spent 2 weeks on the Top 100. It would take ‘Calling Occupants’ to shake record buyers into action on the Carpenters front, five months later. In fact, ‘Calling Occupants’ was the last single by Carpenters to reach the Top 75 in Australia, ever.

Also, the DJ on the tape has a very English accent and style, rather than an Australian accent or manner.

I think the DJ is probably referring to a regional UK chart, such as his very radio station’s chart. Maybe they just happened to have a lot of requests and airplay for the song at that station, and, possibly, local sales.

Top Bottom