• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 10.6%

Votes: 48 51.1%

Votes: 29 30.9%

Votes: 7 7.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Song4uman

I Just Fall in Love Again....
I think it should have been a single. I know it is long, but so was Calling Occupants..... So I don't think that was a reason for not releasing... imho

Jonathan

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I really like that Passage framed print and it's signed by the artist very cool. It's too bad he is not selling them any longer. I always thought that album cover was brilliant.

My only disappointment about this album is the inside gatefold, they really should have included some pics of Karen and Richard, maybe even one with the orchestra performing. We know there were some behind the scenes photos taken and could have been used as inserts like something similar to this one.

Song4uman

I really like that Passage framed print and it's signed by the artist very cool. It's too bad he is not selling them any longer. I always thought that album cover was brilliant.

My only disappointment about this album is the inside gatefold, they really should have included some pics of Karen and Richard, maybe even one with the orchestra performing. We know there were some behind the scenes photos taken and could have been used as inserts like something similar to this one.
He might be willing to print and sell more. Not sure. He and I messaged not too long ago.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

From the Newsletters
I'm surprised that no video clips have ever surfaced from news coverage from this taping, as 4 tv stations were present.
I wonder if Richard has film footage from this event in his archives.

NEWSLETTER #54 - July, 1977

Hi Fans: There will be something entirely new on the next Carpenter album to be released soon, It will contain a variety or music, and the highlight will be a score from the Argentina rock opera "Evita" entitled "Don't Cry for Me Argentina". Karen will solo with a background or 50 singers from the Gregg Smith Chorale, plus the entire Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra. The famous British conductor Peter Knight, was flown from London to conduct the scores, and Richard's buddy Wes Jacobs new in from Michigan to play tuba. We were privileged to attend the taping at A & M Studios, and we round the sound stage filled to capacity with musicians. Four TV stations had mini-cams there to film footage or the session for the evening news, as it was the largest recording session ever attempted for an album track.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Terrific photo of Karen, Wes and Richard. Karen is in the same outfit that matches the photo I posted a while back of her in the studio, so this must have been taken on the same day.

Check out the write up on this event here.

24th May 1977 - on this day
The Carpenters record "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"

It was such a momentous recording that it was picked up by news outlets hailing it as the largest recording session ever in the history of popular music. With around 160 musicians, Richard had this to say about the song: "This song was submitted to us by the publisher, and I immediately felt it was perfect for Karen, though now I feel differently, as I believe the song doesn't linger long enough in a lower register, a great area for Karen's voice. We contacted England's late, great Peter Knight to orchestrate the song, and two others on "Passage". Peter flew to Los Angeles to conduct the L.A. Philharmonic for the recording. Between the 100 plus member "phil" and the 50 voice Gregg Smith Singers, the recording session had to take place on the A&M Sound Stage, and was wired into Studio D. It was an experience I'll never forget."

Richard says regarding this photo "With Wes Jacobs on the A&M Chaplain Stage. Wes, who was the tuba chair with the Detroit Symphony, was visiting us and sat in with the Los Angeles Philharmonic for the recording of "Don’t Cry For Me Argentina" "

MHrtHYK.png

Karen in same outfit
0W3xFb8.jpg

goodjeans

Terrific photo of Karen, Wes and Richard. Karen is in the same outfit that matches the photo I posted a while back of her in the studio, so this must have been taken on the same day.

Check out the write up on this event here.

24th May 1977 - on this day
The Carpenters record "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"

It was such a momentous recording that it was picked up by news outlets hailing it as the largest recording session ever in the history of popular music. With around 160 musicians, Richard had this to say about the song: "This song was submitted to us by the publisher, and I immediately felt it was perfect for Karen, though now I feel differently, as I believe the song doesn't linger long enough in a lower register, a great area for Karen's voice. We contacted England's late, great Peter Knight to orchestrate the song, and two others on "Passage". Peter flew to Los Angeles to conduct the L.A. Philharmonic for the recording. Between the 100 plus member "phil" and the 50 voice Gregg Smith Singers, the recording session had to take place on the A&M Sound Stage, and was wired into Studio D. It was an experience I'll never forget."

Richard says regarding this photo "With Wes Jacobs on the A&M Chaplain Stage. Wes, who was the tuba chair with the Detroit Symphony, was visiting us and sat in with the Los Angeles Philharmonic for the recording of "Don’t Cry For Me Argentina" "

MHrtHYK.png

Karen in same outfit
0W3xFb8.jpg
Beautiful pic of Karen.

Top Bottom