• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 10.2%

Votes: 51 52.0%

Votes: 30 30.6%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cuyler

Bright colored pinwheels go 'round in my head.
How interesting! Was the record like a sampler of sorts to give the DJ/radio station a taste of (almost) every song on the album? I imagine "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song" is not included because it was the lead single from the album and had already been released in its entirety before this sampler.

In any case, your photos show that all of your materials are in wonderful shape! Great to see a glimpse of how the radio/record industry operated in the late-1970s!

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

How interesting! Was the record like a sampler of sorts to give the DJ/radio station a taste of (almost) every song on the album? I imagine "All You Get From Love Is a Love Song" is not included because it was the lead single from the album and had already been released in its entirety before this sampler.

In any case, your photos show that all of your materials are in wonderful shape! Great to see a glimpse of how the radio/record industry operated in the late-1970s!
My 45 was posted on u tube a while ago but it's gone.
It was used here with a video overlay. If you listen closely you will hear pops and ticks confirming it's the "A Foreplay Special"

Cuyler

Bright colored pinwheels go 'round in my head.
My 45 was posted on u tube a while ago but it's gone.
It was used here with a video overlay. If you listen closely you will hear pops and ticks confirming it's the "A Foreplay Special"
Wow, thank you so much for sharing. I find the idea of a 33 1/3 rpm 7" disc to be fascinating. Does this video have your audio transfer, or did @Billy Rees happen to get his hands on a different one?

The narration is hilarious too. Very 1970s. I notice that broadcasters of the 1970s have what could be considered a slight accent by younger people today. Everything was more precisely accentuated back then, à la Walter Cronkite.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Wow, thank you so much for sharing. I find the idea of a 33 1/3 rpm 7" disc to be fascinating. Does this video have your audio transfer, or did @Billy Rees happen to get his hands on a different one?

The narration is hilarious too. Very 1970s. I notice that broadcasters of the 1970s have what could be considered a slight accent by younger people today. Everything was more precisely accentuated back then, à la Walter Cronkite.
You would have to ask him but the placement of those pops and ticks sound exactly like my 45 lol
But really it doesn't matter to me ha...he did a great job on matching up the video on Calling Occupants and Sweet Sweet Smile to the Foreplay Special. Nice video.

Here is my original 33 1/3 45 rpm ( I posted this someone else before)
First is a scan capture w my sleeve it came with.
Second was taken with my camera to show the grooves a bit more.
It's a 45 and both sides are the same.
gwPUtS7.jpg

QqevGFc.jpg

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I don't own this press kit, I only found these photos online. They are in great shape though and I wish I owned it but at least I got the 45 record from this press kit.

Another Son

I just found a surprising record in a second-hand record and book shop.

The title:- "Disco Disco Double!" on EMS Records, Australia, probably from 1978 - a TV advertised album.

The advertising slogan on the cover proclaims, "Thirty Disco Greats!"

Some of the tracks include Staying Alive, Night Fever, Singing in the Rain, I Can't Stand the Rain, Everybody Dance, Fantasy.... and Sweet, Sweet Smile!

These are instrumental versions, not the originals, but these were obviously inspired by the originals, and the album was using the idea of the originals to sell the record.

Of the originals of these tracks, "Stayin' Alive" peaked at Number 1 in Australia, "Night Fever" at Number 7, "I Can't Stand the Rain" at Number 1, "Singin' In the Rain"at Number 23, "Fantasy" at Number 25.... and "Sweet, Sweet Smile" at Number 100.

Could it be that someone involved in the production of this album was a Carpenters fan and wanted to include one of their tracks somewhere... ANYWHERE.... no matter what its genre, style or hit status?

Maybe I wasn't so crazy proposing "Sweet, Sweet Smile" for the school disco as an early teen in 1978, after all!

GaryAlan

I still love, love, love this album !
Well, here is one bandmember, Terry Draper of Klaatu, discussing Calling Occupants (and, Carpenters from 3:35-3:58):

Top Bottom