⭐ Official Review [Album]: "PASSAGE" (SP-4703)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 10 9.3%

Votes: 55 50.9%

Votes: 35 32.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
An idea crossed my mind this morning when I glanced at the artwork for PASSAGE. Suppose that they DID use the familiar Carpenters logo on the front - what would it look like. So, I prepared this little mock-up:

passage copy.jpg

I tried it on the right, but it looked really odd there, so I moved it to the larger area, where it looks more balanced with the title at the bottom. I don't know if I like it or not...

Harry
I totally missed this post, great job I like this!!!

Passage is the only LP released in September.
No Lp's were released in these months: January, February, April, July, December.

One LP in August (Close To You), one in November (The Singles 1969-1973).
March had two releases (Tan and Now & Then).
June and October had four releases each:
June: Song For You, Horizon, Hush, Made In America.
October: Offering, Portrait, Voice, Lovelines.

Passage is the only LP released in September.
No Lp's were released in these months: January, February, April, July, December.

One LP in August (Close To You), one in November (The Singles 1969-1973).
March had two releases (Tan and Now & Then).
June and October had four releases each:
June: Song For You, Horizon, Hush, Made In America.
October: Offering, Portrait, Voice, Lovelines.
“As Time Goes By” was released in Japan on August 1, 2001, and then in April 2004 for the rest of the world. “An Old-Fashioned Christmas” was released on October 26, 1984, and “Karen Carpenter” was released on October 8, 1996. Richard’s second solo album was released March 4, 1997. “Live At The Palladium” was released November 6, 1976, and “Interpretations” was released in the UK & Canada on October 3, 1994 and in the US on February 7, 1995. “Time” was released in October 1987, “Live in Japan” was released March 6, 1975, “The Singles 1969-1981” was released in June 2000, and the 74-78 album was out in November 1978. “Icon” was released in December 2014.

Back to Passage....and...one of my Carpenters' favorites,
I Just Fall In Love Again...
It seems as if the version heard on the UK Reader's Digest compilation
has no reverb that I can discern (as is heard in the Anthology comp).

Are these old ears deceiving me ?

I'm hearing the same as you, Gary, and ran it by Chris May who suggests that it was a mastering choice that brought out the reverb in the first ANTHOLOGY set.

Just for the fun of it I played--back to back--
Carpenters' I Just Fall In Love Again,
and
Anne Murray's I Just Fall In Love Again.

We all have our respective tastes and opinions,
but, even after all these years,
for the life of me,
I can't get behind Anne Murray's utterly boring take on this song !
Not only the lead, but the arrangement is simply boring to my ears !
But, Carpenters' version---
wow....what an awesome production.
Yes, I'd call it over the top,
but I really love it.

Just for the fun of it I played--back to back--
Carpenters' I Just Fall In Love Again,
and
Anne Murray's I Just Fall In Love Again.

We all have our respective tastes and opinions,
but, even after all these years,
for the life of me,
I can't get behind Anne Murray's utterly boring take on this song !
Not only the lead, but the arrangement is simply boring to my ears !
But, Carpenters' version---
wow....what an awesome production.
Yes, I'd call it over the top,
but I really love it.

Anne Murray is not my cup of tea. She has a pleasant voice and I did enjoy You Needed Me and Snowbird somewhat. But is just not in the realm of Karen Carpenter. Anne and Helen Reddy swim in the same pond as far as vocal abilities, so to speak. Karen's performance on IJFILA is brilliant but, as it has been discussed frequently on this forum, is buried under an out-of-control production. This could be one of the songs that Richard with the help of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra could buff up to the diamond that it should have been.

I'm crazy, I guess, as the song above--Anne Murray's Talk It Over In The Morning--
does absolutely nothing for me !
Not the arrangement, not the lyric, not the vocals.
Sorry, Anne--I know my mom loves you....

I'm crazy, I guess, as the song above--Anne Murray's Talk It Over In The Morning--
does absolutely nothing for me !
Not the arrangement, not the lyric, not the vocals.
Sorry, Anne--I know my mom loves you....

Yep...crazy! Listen again on repeat until you love it!

^^Yep, I tried....
Anyway, that song seems awfully similar to
I Kept On Loving You....
which is far superior (imho).

Well, I need help from the musically inclined folks.
There does not appear to be a "credit" on Passage
for performer of the flute in
Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft.
As customary, Earle Dumler is credited on Oboe.

In any event, I ask: the flute is in this song, correct ?

The arrangement of this song is a delight to the ears !

One of the Carpenters more unusual and satisfying efforts. Light years away from Close to You, and that's not a bad thing! I love the album cover, and Harry, I like the "mock up" with their traditional trademark Carpenters insignia.

I probably would have given this set 5 stars, but at only 8 songs it lacks something, like a 9th song! I found this album as novel and different as KC's solo album. Even the (hit) singles were different. "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song" and "Calling Occupants" must of both caught radio and Carpenters fans off guard. "Sweet Sweet Smile" had a country flavor similar to "Reason To Believe" from several years back. (I always thought that Karen's voice would of made impact on a country/pop album in produced in Nashville.) "Two Sides" stands out to me as a track tailor made for Karen to sing.
The long album version of Calling Occupants ends this set on a real high with Karen and Richard's perfect background and singer Karen's heartfelt lead vocal. I always thought the single mix was really "choppy." The meat was there, but the potatoes were no where on the menu......... -John

Does "Two Sides" vocal sound like it has more echo on the original A&M CD of PASSAGE compared with the Remastered Classic or the track on THE COMPLETE SINGLES?

May 5, 1979 Billboard (page 6) article, author Paul Grein, makes interesting reading (excerpts):

"MOR artists go to funkier sound"....
"cutting funkier, more rock-oriented tracks to broaden their acceptance."
"the Carpenters made a big departure with their 1977 album, Passage, which netted a top 40 single...
most favorable reviews of their career..."

Also: "In a recent radio interview, Herb Alpert stressed that Richard and Karen Carpenter
will still record as the Carpenters...but, Richard wanted to take some time off...
leading to Karen's match-up with Phil Ramone."
"explains Ramone...we're going to go in a totally different direction..."

Read:
Billboard

In another post I referenced the 1977 Carpenters' Live version for the song
Don't Cry For Me Argentina,
for those who have yet to hear it, here it is:

They were trying to widen their image with the Passage album, and Klaatu (the group that originated "Occupants") was really the talk of the town at that time, so along with Richard liking the song, they probably did it to raise their "cool" factor. Whether that was a successful move is open for debate....I've always thought their "peak" had passed by that point anyway and they weren't likely to change their career arc. I always thought they should have made a serious foray into country music, considering they had several country songs in their repertoire.

I totally agree that they should of made a country/pop album. But I'm glad they did Passage and "Calling Occupants."
It may not have made the Carpenters any more cool, but it must of been fun recording it.......and fun raising a few eyebrows in the industry. I wish Richard would of taken more chances at that time, as what did they have to lose?

Back
Top Bottom