⭐ Official Review [Album]: "TIME" (SP 5117/CD 5117/DX 1687)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 8 12.5%

Votes: 13 20.3%

Votes: 24 37.5%

Votes: 12 18.8%

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
You're right - lousy is harsh - I should have said "almost totally lacking in pleasant vocal qualities".

Well, now "hate" is a tad harsh...I dislike Richard's feeble attempts at singing, but I don't hate either him or his voice.

See? I wish I'd have thought of "feeble." Maybe I really am running out of adjectives. Take over for me, won't you? :cool:

See? I wish I'd have thought of "feeble." Maybe I really am running out of adjectives. Take over for me, won't you? :cool:
:) I haven't noticed any slouching off in either the quality or quantity of your "adjective stockpile" lately - you're doing just fine and, in fact, it's hard for me to keep up sometimes...carry on.

Matthew, I agree with much of what you said, and am one of the people that really like most of TIME. I can do without Scott Grimes. The rest is quite good as far as I'm concerned.

As for Ed, well he is, (to use a phrase from the very last episode of STAR TREK: TNG), "anti-TIME". I respect Ed's opinions, but fear he may run out of negative adjectives some day! :) For now, he's doing OK on that front.
What I learned from this (and totally agreeing with Harry's assessment, here) is that neither Karen's solo effort and Richard's solo effort would never match the "magic" of them together. Karen's solo album is okay...completely wrong material for the best voice of the modern era unfortunately. But I have to say that TIME is the better of the two, in my opinion. Made In America is one of my favorite Carpenters albums, too, which goes counter to most voices here so I don't expect anyone to agree.

What I learned from this (and totally agreeing with Harry's assessment, here) is that neither Karen's solo effort and Richard's solo effort would never match the "magic" of them together. Karen's solo album is okay...completely wrong material for the best voice of the modern era unfortunately. But I have to say that TIME is the better of the two, in my opinion. Made In America is one of my favorite Carpenters albums, too, which goes counter to most voices here so I don't expect anyone to agree.
I agree. MIA is also one of my favorites. I think both solo albums were done for different reasons, and both missed the mark as having as much hit potential as their duo efforts. But I enjoy listening to them both for what they are.

I'm listening to TIME as ripped to my computer from the original CD and am noticing just how good it sounds. This album was well-recorded and well-mastered. Say what you will about being "dated", but you can crank this one up without ear-bleeding. All in my humble opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I'm listening to TIME as ripped to my computer from the original CD and am noticing just how good it sounds. This album was well-recorded and well-mastered. Say what you will about being "dated", but you can crank this one up without ear-bleeding. All in my humble opinion, of course.
There are many cuts I like on the disc. I wish he'd maintained this direction rather than going the instrumental route.

I love it - always have. I love the arrangements (maybe not the electronic drums so much), and the harmonies are very reminiscent of his and Karen's on songs like 'Love Is Surrender', where they'd hold a note in one overdub and go down a note or two with another overdub. There's a lot of that on this album, probably most notably on 'That's What I Believe'.

I am honestly thrilled I can finally listen to it on Spotify. I love this album on so many levels and wish we had more albums from Richard with leads mixed in with the Carpenter releases, like he did with old fashion Christmas, Just in Love. I liked that Richard tried something different for his solo effort as did Karen. I really do enjoy that I don’t have to dig out my CD and can listen to it at the gym. 10/10

Remember how synths and 80 pop elements are littered over dance, rock, retro, pop in today music scene. So I embrace those 80’s elements with Time. Yet the title track Time, is just an amazing blend of vocals and music!

I will always be grateful we have this record as we do Karen’s solo album. I hope one day we could have a special edition with any additional tracks that didn’t make the cut for Time. I love Richard’s vocals and solo leads, just look at the now and then album. He totally knocked those leads out the park in the oldies.

I honestly would have loved Richard to of sung the leads for his solo Christmas project. Yet I know he views have changed but I cannot help but express my gratitude and appreciation for his singing.

There are many cuts I like on the disc. I wish he'd maintained this direction rather than going the instrumental route.
Hands down agree with you! I wish Richard would have sung more leads on his solo work. I know Karen is regarded as one of the greatest singers of all time. Yet there is still plenty of opportunities for Richard to sing leads and create music. I just wish he followed up Time, again with solo leads and guest artists. I think he’d eventually would have had more success, possibly not on a colossal scale initially in the US yet the UK, Japan, Europe and then hopefully the US at some point. Enough success for him to continue to make albums and playing live.

If we look at the Carpenter albums 1976 onwards. They were having more success internationally than in the US and that’s where Karen and Richard could have focussed on, till the US radio came back around. With so much success continuing in the UK, Japan…still till this day. I think US radio were coming back around especially with Touch Me from MIA.

the title track Time, is just an amazing blend of vocals and music!

The title track is one of the very best things on the entire album. It could easily have found its way onto a TV series or movie as a theme tune (and I mean that as a compliment not an insult). It sounds so majestic and soaring.

I was doing some Interior design work for a radio station in Bala Cynwyd when "Time" was released. An employee handed me the vinyl promo album telling me that they would never play it. I was really disappointed to hear it and wished that I had charged them a higher hourly rate. :bangwall:

I was doing some Interior design work for a radio station in Bala Cynwyd when "Time" was released. An employee handed me the vinyl promo album telling me that they would never play it. I was really disappointed to hear it and wished that I had charged them a higher hourly rate. :bangwall:
Love to know which radio station.

I was doing some Interior design work for a radio station in Bala Cynwyd when "Time" was released. An employee handed me the vinyl promo album telling me that they would never play it.

So the stigma from the Made In America days was still alive and well six years later.

No, I think the 'stigma' began when "Sing" was a big hit. Then stations 'reluctantly' played "Postman". A few lingerers stuck with "Need To Be In Love", and that was pretty much it. Carpenters were perceived as poison - the dreaded tune-out - if played. So they were dropped from rotations where stations were in competition for ratings.

Little mom and pop stations could and did play anything as ratings in these smaller markets were not nearly as important.

I, myself, have two tossed vinyl copies of TIME, even though we played "Something In Your Eyes" for a week or so.

No, I think the 'stigma' began when "Sing" was a big hit. Then stations 'reluctantly' played "Postman". A few lingerers stuck with "Need To Be In Love", and that was pretty much it. Carpenters were perceived as poison - the dreaded tune-out - if played. So they were dropped from rotations where stations were in competition for ratings.

Little mom and pop stations could and did play anything as ratings in these smaller markets were not nearly as important.

I, myself, have two tossed vinyl copies of TIME, even though we played "Something In Your Eyes" for a week or so.
Wow when you put it that way...they were doomed from radio play, no wonder they had such a hard time getting radio to play tracks from MIA. Didn’t even Harold Carpenter contact the radio stations asking why they were not playing there latest album. I read that somewhere. It’s all so sad.

The title track is one of the very best things on the entire album. It could easily have found its way onto a TV series or movie as a theme tune (and I mean that as a compliment not an insult). It sounds so majestic and soaring.
Far and away my favorite song from the 'Time' album, too. I've always said Richard should be scoring movies, performing instrumental soundtracks to films, etc. He certainly has always had the talent to do so.

Currently enjoying 'Time' on my 75" TV and sound system. In the UK, this is how Richard's profile is displayed on Spotify. The photo doesn't do it justice - the jukebox to the left is 1.5m tall.

There was a certain face
That filled a thousand screens...

IMG_5707.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom