• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are in the pipeline! The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy will be available on November 16, 2021 and can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is being released January 14, 2022, and is available for ordering here.

⭐ Official Review [Album]: "TIME" (SP 5117/CD 5117/DX 1687)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 8 13.3%

Votes: 13 21.7%

Votes: 22 36.7%

Votes: 11 18.3%

Votes: 6 10.0%

• Total voters

Jarred

Your resident analyst right around the corner.
Honestly, I would have preferred the back as the front cover. The last thing Richard needed was a "smiley" photo. The back presents him differently and that's the one I really like. Still, this is all far better than any Carpenters' album cover we got save "Horizon."

richardcarpenterfront3.png

Ed
Yeah, this is twenty times more intriguing a front cover.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
There are three dials on that stopwatch. The red-hand outer dial goes from 0 to 60, so it is likely the measuring seconds. The inner dial with a black hand goes from 0 to 100. Is that hundredths of a second? It must really fly, if so. More likely number of minutes, yes?

So what's the small 0-30 dial for?

tomswift2002

There are three dials on that stopwatch. The red-hand outer dial goes from 0 to 60, so it is likely the measuring seconds. The inner dial with a black hand goes from 0 to 100. Is that hundredths of a second? It must really fly, if so. More likely number of minutes, yes?

Stopwatches like that usually measure minutes, seconds & 100ths of a second. So the 60 ring would be minutes.

Murray

The red hand outer dial (0 to 60) measures the elapsed seconds, and each of the smaller marks between the seconds, represents 1/5th of a second (the watch ticks 5 times per second). The red hand inner dial, measures 1/100ths of a minute, and is a decimal measurement used in industrial time-management applications. In the picture of the watch on the album cover, the red hand is pointing to "20" on the outer scale - which is twenty seconds, and 33 1/3 on the inner scale, which is 0.333 of a minute. The small yellow 0-30 dial measures elapsed minutes, so this watch can be used to time events up to 30 minutes in duration, which is likely the capacity of the mainspring which powers the watch. There are two possibilities for the long black hand: it might measure hundredths of a second, but it's also possible that it could be an independent second hand, used to measure split (lap) times.

Geographer

More importantly, what is the "hidden" meaning of the numbers the dials are pointing to? Looks like 20, 39, and 17 to me. What could it mean? Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
When I first got the TIME album, I tried in vain to make those numbers fit the timing of the album in some way.

Top Bottom