1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Official Review [Album]: "TIME" (SP 5117/CD 5117/DX 1687)

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by Chris May, Nov 13, 2014.

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

1. ***** (BEST)

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. ****

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. ***

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. **

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  5. *

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

There appears to be no "Official Review" Thread for
    Pianist/Arranger/Composer/Conductor.

As incredible as we all find Richard's keyboard work on the song
    This Masquerade,
    it really is surprising to me that he did not choose to perform that song for his PACC-solo effort.
    I was listening to This Masquerade a few minutes ago,
    and that would have made a terrific addition to this second solo outing.

Geographer and Mark-T like this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam "We are observing your Forum".........Baby

I like Richard's album, but it's missing one key ingredient. His sister. For example there are some great background vocals, and just when you would expect Karen to jump in, you hear Richard. He is the best arranger/producer, keyboardist, but not a singing talent. That is his downfall. His background vocals on "Something In Your Eyes" are wonderful, as is Dusty Springfield singing the lead. But one can only imagine what it would of sounded like with a Karen lead. I also like "Time" and the very 80's opening track, "Say Yeah." I think it would of been interesting to feature a few of these songs on Carpenters compilations in the 90's or 2000's. He certainly has done a fine job of continuing the Carpenters legacy, that seems to be his primary job, not a recording artist.

I never owned his second solo effort, "Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor." I like the song selection, I'm sure it's beautiful. I was hoping for a pop-type album with maybe an instrumental or two. This is just not my cup of tea. But I will listen to it.

3. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

I like to go way back in the threads from time to time...reading your comment Gary from almost 4 years ago, the only thing I have to say is RIGHT ON!, I agree completely.

Jamesj75 and newvillefan like this.