⭐ Official Review [Album]: "TIME" (SP 5117/CD 5117/DX 1687)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 8 12.5%

Votes: 13 20.3%

Votes: 24 37.5%

Votes: 12 18.8%

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
In the A & M press release Richard states, regarding this album: "I couldn't be prouder of it."

Gosh I'd hope he'd say that about an album he'd been working on for two years. Had he said "I'm okay with it", that wouldn't be great promo, would it? He said what he was supposed to say to sell the record.

It is interesting to see that Calling Your Name Again has amassed well over ten MILLION youtube views.

Where are you seeing that? I just went to look and I don't see any of those vids with ten million views on them. I'm seeing three of them with tens of thousands (one with nearly a hundred thousand) but nothing with ten million.

Ed

What's always puzzled me about Paul Grein's review of "Time" is how he doesn't say anything about "When Time Was All We Had," Richard's mostly a capella tribute to Karen. Maybe he didn't care for Richard's performance on that track either, but to ignore the song completely while reviewing the album makes no sense at all. I personally really liked it along with most of the rest of "Time."

That's the best thing on the album. The lyric, while I love the idea of it, is Hallmark-ian silliness. It could have been good but Pamela Oland aims low. I've never liked her work and I don't like it for other artists she's written for either. I get why it's there but I also could have done without Herb's solo on it. The vocal arrangement, however, is just scary good. To my ears, that's what Richard was best at. The stack of him sounds absolutely marvelous and I wouldn't have been mad to get a whole album of him that way.

Ed

Even if Richard states in a press release that "I couldn't be prouder of it" does not make his words less accurate or less meaningful.
He said the words, therefore I assume at least some part of the sentiment is true.
Again--I do not advocate "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." His album is not a "Carpenters" album, it could never be,
but I can still find things that are there to enjoy.

Here is the link to the ten-million-plus views of Richard Carpenter,
Calling Your Name Again:

Here is another view from the period, July 11, 1985, " RICHARD CARPENTER REBUILDS HIS CAREER -- SOFTLY "
Richard Carpenter: ''I`m going to miss Karen, of course, both personally and professionally as I have since she passed on,'' he said.
''But I know what I want to do and how to do it. And I`m rather excited about it.''
"Carpenter expects to release his record by next spring, following up with a tour."
Full Interview/article:
RICHARD CARPENTER REBUILDS HIS CAREER -- SOFTLY

Don't forget the People Magazine article, October 1987:
My intention was to get back into my music and create something new,” says Carpenter.
Here:
Four Years After His Sister Karen's Death, Singer Richard Carpenter Makes His Debut as a Solo Act

Thank you for setting the record straight once again Gary. At least I can say I admire you for referencing your sources on a regular basis...The Time album is a colossal "el floppo". Richard had definitely lost his mojo by this point. Sorry to say, ain't nobody a fan of this work. It is forgettable in every way. I haven't even listened to it and I already know what it is all about. Richard should've done movie scores for sure, but you know what? HIS HEART WAS NOT IN IT!!! And as we all know, perhaps Gary 95% of the content in this forum is personal opinion. Have a nice weekend!:)
If you haven’t listened to it, then how can you complain about it? You sound like some of those reviewers who only listen to 3 seconds of a track and then grade it.

It is a FANTASTIC piece of work. Richard was willing to go outside his boundaries and create something different, but then fans shoot him down (and really the lead single was not the best choice) and 10 years later he puts out an elevator music album with no vocals. “TIME” was and is Richard’s Greatest Solo album to date, and it’s too bad that in the last 30 years he hasn’t put more of it on compare or even recorded the occasional vocal that appeared on a comp.

If you haven’t listened to it, then how can you complain about it? You sound like some of those reviewers who only listen to 3 seconds of a track and then grade it.

It is a FANTASTIC piece of work. Richard was willing to go outside his boundaries and create something different, but then fans shoot him down (and really the lead single was not the best choice) and 10 years later he puts out an elevator music album with no vocals. “TIME” was and is Richard’s Greatest Solo album to date, and it’s too bad that in the last 30 years he hasn’t put more of it on compare or even recorded the occasional vocal that appeared on a comp.

That's the thing though. He didn't go "outside" of anything. He created "Made in America II". Further, he didn't have Karen's voice to get the songs over so nearly nothing worked. As a background vocalist, he's great. He absolutely isn't a lead vocalist. With the exception of the awful "Say Yeah!" and awful-in-his-hands "Who Do You Love", this pretty much is elevator music with vocals. Dusty & Dionne have definitely sounded better elsewhere and Scott has too. This album flopped for a reason. He was obviously happy with it but few others were.

Ed

Even if Richard states in a press release that "I couldn't be prouder of it" does not make his words less accurate or less meaningful.
He said the words, therefore I assume at least some part of the sentiment is true.
Again--I do not advocate "throwing the baby out with the bathwater." His album is not a "Carpenters" album, it could never be,
but I can still find things that are there to enjoy.

Here is the link to the ten-million-plus views of Richard Carpenter,
Calling Your Name Again:

Wow. I'm truly speechless. Wonder why it got so many views? Maybe it got linked to an article that people were gobbling up or something.

Ed

^^Thanks for the input, Ed !
By the way, I also find it interesting that
Calling Your Name Again is charting---August 3rd, 2019--in Oman, at #27 !

Calling Your Name Again

iTunes:
#27 Oman

Hmm... Maybe it got licensed for something and that’s gotta be what’s doing it. If you look at the comment section of the vid, you can note the odd climb in views. Either way, good for Richard.

Ed

That's the thing though. He didn't go "outside" of anything. He created "Made in America II". Further, he didn't have Karen's voice to get the songs over so nearly nothing worked. As a background vocalist, he's great. He absolutely isn't a lead vocalist. With the exception of the awful "Say Yeah!" and awful-in-his-hands "Who Do You Love", this pretty much is elevator music with vocals. Dusty & Dionne have definitely sounded better elsewhere and Scott has too. This album flopped for a reason. He was obviously happy with it but few others were.

Ed

“Made In America II”? Ha! Ha! Sorry but “Time” is like night and day to MIA.

In the 1986 Larry King interview with Richard Carpenter,
he answers a question regarding the "Time" album (25:04-20): "...I like some of the new synthesizers...
...I think it's turning out very, very, well.... and the company is' excited about it, I just played them some things the other day
...."

Keep listening and hear what is said about Karen's "almost completed" solo album (26:33-27:30):
Richard Carpenter "I've heard it and, of course, it's very good."

Interview:

Disagree totally. The only thing different about MIA is that Karen’s vocals are there. Same record otherwise with even lesser tunes.

Ed

You and I must be listening to two different records, since MIA is slow and downbeat, whereas “Time” is upbeat and fast. The only similarities on MIA to “Time” are ‘(Want You) Back In My Life Again’ And ‘Beechwood 4-5789’.

Sorry to say, ain't nobody a fan of this work. It is forgettable in every way. I haven't even listened to it and I already know what it is all about.

Wow, I have to say that this is pretty sad. To have totally dismissed an album without listening to it just doesn't make any sense. I could understand it maybe a decade or so ago when the thing was out of print and hard to find, but these days you could listen to it free on places like YouTube.

But - we all have our likes, dislikes, and prejudices. I wouldn't ever be tempted to go listen to, say, a Rod Stewart track or album, as I can't stand the guy. But I don't know how a Carpenters fan can feel that way about Richard.

And don't say "ain't nobody a fan of this work" because I am. I was very happy with Richard's TIME and count it as a favored album.

You and I must be listening to two different records, since MIA is slow and downbeat, whereas “Time” is upbeat and fast. The only similarities on MIA to “Time” are ‘(Want You) Back In My Life Again’ And ‘Beechwood 4-5789’.

When did "When Time Was All We Had", "Calling Your Name Again", "Something In Your Eyes", "I'm Still Not Over You", "Remind Me to Tell You", "In Love Alone, and "Time" become fast tunes? "Who Do You Love" is upbeat but fast? Not hardly. It's not as if the two fast tunes are any good either. Scott Grimes is all forced happiness on his track and "Say Yeah!" is just embarrassing - especially thanks to Pamela Oland's first-draft lyric. Had Richard come to the table with good songs, this album could have been at least decent. It could have even overcome his inability to be a lead vocalist. It's really over-produced a la "Made in America" and has even lesser tunes than "Made in America" did. I don't hate Richard in any way but I honestly don't know what he was thinking with this tune selection. There was no way it could work and it didn't.

Ed

Last edited:
I like the album but what I hate is the overly-compressed, processed sound of it. The drums are electronic, it’s synth-heavy and Richard’s leads are terribly processed as well. It hasn’t aged well. It reminds me of Agnetha Faltskog’s second post-ABBA solo album from 1985, Eyes Of A Woman, which was produced by Eric Stewart (of 10CC fame) and sounds very similar. Love the Beechwood style video in this clip though! :laugh:

It’s good that Richard was able to have a personal feeling of accomplishment with this, but it’s a total, embarrassing dog of a record. When Time WAWH is the one track that sticks with me — the rest is a dated affair from the worst era in the history of music to have a dated sound.

I like the album but what I hate is the overly-compressed, processed sound of it. The drums are electronic, it’s synth-heavy and Richard’s leads are terribly processed as well. It hasn’t aged well.
I don’t hate the album as I do really like some tracks. But I don’t like the processed sound and electronic drums should ever be on any Carpenters album. Richard is singing too high. The album is a product of its time but still it makes me scratch my head especially how Richard and Karen were brought up in the era of real instruments and using natural sounds that Richard would choose to make his solo album sound like this.

Thank goodness Karen’s solo album didn’t have this electronic, processing sound. Karen’s album still sounds fresh today while Time feels dated.

The album is a product of its time but still it makes me scratch my head especially how Richard and Karen were brought up in the era of real instruments and using natural sounds that Richard would choose to make his solo album sound like this.

Agnes was his greatest champion and I’m sure she loved it but yeah, you’re right. They were never trendy so why he chose to fall for the trend of the day is puzzling. The album is all the worse for it.

When did "When Time Was All We Had", "Calling Your Name Again", "Something In Your Eyes", "I'm Still Not Over You", "Remind Me to Tell You", "In Love Alone, and "Time" become fast tunes? "Who Do You Love" is upbeat but fast? Not hardly. It's not as if the two fast tunes are any good either. Scott Grimes is all forced happiness on his track and "Say Yeah!" is just embarrassing - especially thanks to Pamela Oland's first-draft lyric. Had Richard come to the table with good songs, this album could have been at least decent. It could have even overcome his inability to be a lead vocalist. It's really over-produced a la "Made in America" and has even lesser tunes than "Made in America" did. I don't hate Richard in any way but I honestly don't know what he was thinking with this tune selection. There was no way it could work and it didn't.

Ed
They are still more upbeat and has more good songs than 95% of MIA. MIA was "Missing In Action". The majority of MIA should've stayed in the vaults, whereas "Time" it belongs out there. I think "Say Yeah!' should've been released as a single in America, along with Who Do You Love?. The other songs on "Time" may be ballads, but they are uptempo ballads, whereas MIA's ballads were slow, boring and downbeat. How did I Believe You and Those Good Old Dreams even get picked as singles when there were better songs that could've been released. And on "Time" the songs sound more 80's. Calling Your Name Again really sounds like an Air Supply's Two Less Lonely People In The World.

And with "Time", I keep thinking that, had Karen still been alive in 1987, she might've parroted back Richard's comments from 1979, but instead of doing disco, it probably would've been more in line of doing electronic.

Ed
I don’t have much to say on this album for little is positive. I’m actually shocked we are still talking about it. But, since we are, the song Something In Your Eyes is a favorite for me but I like the one Claire de la Fuente sang better. I can listen to it in repitition and Richard was there for that recording, too. There is just not a substitution for Karen and anything that is similar is simply not Karen. The best was already recorded.

Gee....I am mixed on this album. But, I am glad this album is being discussed !

Granted, I do not like Richard's lead vocals....but, I never did (example: I rarely listen to I Kept on Loving You, and that's a great song).
I note that Calling Your Name Again is a highly regarded song in certain countries (Philippines, for one), and I have always liked it.
I get a kick out of Say Yeah ! Is it a masterpiece ? Of course not, but, it's fun and maybe Richard thought so, too.
Something In Your Eyes is a fine ballad, I really like the song--always have from the very first hear.
In Love Alone is the song that they (RC/JB) wanted to play (1982) for Karen, so, I can imagine Karen singing it.
The title track, Time, is a nice instrumental. When Time Was All We Had....nice vocal stacking.
The only song on this album that grates on my nerves is the Scott Grimes vocal, simply unlistenable to my ears.

Ultimately, I am not sure what is expected. Richard is not a lead vocalist and that is too bad.
Ignoring that I do not care for his lead vocals, those songs are still okay: Who Do You Love, Say Yeah, Calling Your Name Again.
The Dusty Springfield ballad is (imho) a pop music masterpiece.

Now, at the time the album "Time" was released, Carpenters were still battling negatives (image, or such things).
I was still finding it quite difficult to locate their product in retail outlets, so
--no matter what Richard had turned out (good or bad)--
it was going to be an uphill climb for sales or radio-recognition.
(I located exactly ONE copy of the album in Ocala).

Those of us who saw him perform in Florida, mid 1985,
can attest to the fact that he was musically and psychologically ready to move-on.
So, when the album came out, I bought it, I sort of wanted the album to succeed.
I know it did not make much of an impression on me at the time.
but, every once in a blue moon I give it a spin.

Wow, I have to say that this is pretty sad. To have totally dismissed an album without listening to it just doesn't make any sense. I could understand it maybe a decade or so ago when the thing was out of print and hard to find, but these days you could listen to it free on places like YouTube.

But - we all have our likes, dislikes, and prejudices. I wouldn't ever be tempted to go listen to, say, a Rod Stewart track or album, as I can't stand the guy. But I don't know how a Carpenters fan can feel that way about Richard.

And don't say "ain't nobody a fan of this work" because I am. I was very happy with Richard's TIME and count it as a favored album.
I totally agree with you Harry Well said and stated I too consider TIME to be a favored album too so even if nobody else likes it I'll borrow an expression from my late Dad " That's fine MORE FOR US".:laugh:

Since Richard likes to tinker with his productions, maybe it's "Time" to revisit this piece of work and make it more relevant, instead of a relic.
Add an outtake or two if there are any, and make it available again?

Back
Top Bottom