⭐ Official Review [Album]: "VOICE OF THE HEART" (SP-4954)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 19 17.8%

Votes: 39 36.4%

Votes: 39 36.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters
True enough, the songs were collated from different years in order to "create" the Voice of the Heart album.
So, yes, in 1983 he had to say "it wasn't an album of outtakes" in order to promote it.

But....
Sailing On The Tide...is as powerful, as good as Horizon's Happy (the other Tony Peluso tune).
Ordinary Fool...is as good--even better--than some of Hush's songs
Two Lives...is as good, perhaps better, than much of Made In America.
Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore...that song should never remain on 'the shelf.'
Look To Your Dreams...is NOT really a throw-away. A great song.
At The End of A Song and You're Enough are better than the insipid "Now."
Prime Time Love...I might consider a lesser song, then again it never got a proper treatment.

Of course, my point is this:
the caliber of the songs on VOH is at least as good--or better--
than some songs on the previous albums.

Voice of the Heart was released the same year Karen passed away...think about that for a moment. It's amazing the album materialized at all.

I'm sure Richard brought together what he had available. Doesn't every artist believe that their latest album is the best or something you will enjoy listening to? I feel like some here are blaming Richard for the collection of songs used on VOTH. I get the feeling that some are unhappy with the album or the collection of songs...or where are the hits? Ask yourself this question...would be happier if the album wasn't released and these 10 songs never saw the light of day?

I would have preferred less choir and more of Richard adding his backing vocals but it is what it is. I've always considered VOTH a vocal gift from Karen to the fans. In 1983 I thought it was the last album we would hear from Carpenters and the last song was a send off that Karen would always be with us no matter how hard the world may get.

It's a dirty old shame that so much energy in our little group of members/fans is expended on the years of 1978 through the early 80s. I understand that many want to attempt to "fix the timeline", if I may borrow that often-used science-fiction trope.

There are so many what-ifs and why-nots about those years in particular in the attempt to use 20/20 hindsight and fix the perceived problems. Well, the past is written. It is what it is, to use another well-worn phrase.

The albums, the decisions, and the events are the way they are. Let's embrace them for what they are.

1983 was a really rough time for Richard. The fact that a new album was compiled at all should be considered a great gift. Go ahead and like what you like. We can all do that, but let's try to see things through the eyes of reality. VOICE OF THE HEART was one tough project. The fact that it's not quite up to the standards of CLOSE TO YOU or A SONG FOR YOU should be understandable.

I truly admire Richard for his fortitude in giving us all he's given us over the years and I wish others could appreciate all that he's done, rather than constantly second-guessing his every move.

But, people will be people, I guess. It's late, I'm tired, and probably shouldn't even be posting this, but I'm a bit cranky tonight.

Here is Richard Carpenter,
regards Ordinary Fool:
"Originally it was recorded the way we did virtually all our recordings, bass, piano, drums and a "work lead" so,
as you know, the drummer and bassist could hear the melody while reading their charts. Karen was not that taken with the song and it did not make the album (Hush). Following Karen's tragic and untimely death in February 1983, I put together an album of outtakes
from various years that I felt were pretty decent songs, if not hits, and "Ordinary Fool", obviously, was one of them.
I always felt the song perfect for Karen's voice and even though it is a work lead, it's flawless,
so I completed the chart, adding strings, winds, brass and a tenor sax solo by John Phillips.
The result remains one of my favorite Carpenters recordings and I feel if Karen could hear it a few times now, her opinion of it just might change. "
Source:
Carpenters Fans Ask- Richard Answers, May 2005

It's a dirty old shame that so much energy in our little group of members/fans is expended on the years of 1978 through the early 80s. I understand that many want to attempt to "fix the timeline", if I may borrow that often-used science-fiction trope.

There are so many what-ifs and why-nots about those years in particular in the attempt to use 20/20 hindsight and fix the perceived problems. Well, the past is written. It is what it is, to use another well-worn phrase.

The albums, the decisions, and the events are the way they are. Let's embrace them for what they are.

1983 was a really rough time for Richard. The fact that a new album was compiled at all should be considered a great gift. Go ahead and like what you like. We can all do that, but let's try to see things through the eyes of reality. VOICE OF THE HEART was one tough project. The fact that it's not quite up to the standards of CLOSE TO YOU or A SONG FOR YOU should be understandable.

I truly admire Richard for his fortitude in giving us all he's given us over the years and I wish others could appreciate all that he's done, rather than constantly second-guessing his every move.

But, people will be people, I guess. It's late, I'm tired, and probably shouldn't even be posting this, but I'm a bit cranky tonight.
I agree totally Harry Cranky or not You made an Excellent point I for one appreciate Everything as it is by every artist I listen to Nothing is 100% perfect all the time but there is really Tons of great music to enjoy by The Carpenters and many others and I'm thankful to Richard for All his Labor and the Love he put into the Music on his part as well as all of Karen's work on her part for me if history was to be changed or corrected to everyone else's ssatisfaction It wouldn't be the same wonderful experience for those of us who are content with what we have 'As it is"!

^^ and ^^^
Cranky, or not, this is America.
(1) Everyone has an opinion and the RIGHT to express it.
So long as that opinion is respectful and dignified, where is the harm in expressing it ?
We are ALL fans, otherwise we would not be here, on this forum.
(2) The reason that 1978-1983 evokes so many opinions is simply that those are the years most wanting in documentation.
The official fan club newsletters are VERY few in number for those specific years, thus questions will certainly arise.
I was surprised to read in the NEWSLETTERS that the duo had intended a Christmas SINGLE for 1979,
so what is the harm in speculating upon what that single might have been ?
(3) I love the album, Voice of the Heart. Always have, always will. It does not bother me if others do not share in my assessment.
(4) Music is SUBJECTIVE.
(5) History is forever hidden from our full access or understanding, thus, questions will always arise.

I never understand the desire to stifle ANY viewpoint.
Who says my view is more valuable than any other, simply because it is more positive ?
Again, I think it's a beautiful album, I play it often and still appreciate it.
But, no one need feel they have to feel the same way.

Your views are perfectly fine. As I said, I was just being a bit cranky.

I love the music of the Carpenters - all of it - but the early stuff really rings my bell. I guess it's just a bit distressing coming here every few hours looking for some great discussion about some of that great, early sound, only to find pages and pages devoted to what I perceive as the "lesser" years.

A Christmas single in 1979? It didn't happen, and there's nothing wrong in speculating what it *could* have been. But it would likely have been something already heard, nothing new.

I remember bringing home the VOICE OF THE HEART album and playing through it once. It sounded lovely, if not "hit-laden". And I vowed not to overplay it. Here was an album-full of Karen's vocals that might have to last me a lifetime. LOVELINES and the solo album added to that arsenal. To this day, I don't play those very often as I don't want to wear them out.

I remember when the Single MBIYFT came out (1983). Very little airplay did it get.
Even TODAY, very few people are familiar with the song. Yes, it is a sentimental selection and Karen sings it beautifully.
Be that as it may, my sister heard the song At The End of A Song
(for the first time a few days ago)and immediately stated it was one of her favorites.
I think that song backed by Look To Your Dreams would have made a better SINGLE release.
But, yes, everyone has their own tastes.
In my opinion, MBIYFT and Now are the two weakest songs off of this album.

The single, ‘Make Believe It’s Your First Time’ got heavy airplay on the AC stations in the Kansas City market. I heard it often in the fall of ‘83.

Pop stations refused to play it, MBIYFT, for the easy listening chorus In my hometown. They did play Touch Me When We’re Dancing, and I Believe You. I always felt that At The End Of A Song was the best cut off the album, and tried to imagine it without the smalty, sappy easy go lucky chorus. In today‘s world of software magic i would hope a choral effect of Karen’s voice could be dubbed in to replace the easy listening chorus. If there was to be an RPO 2, I would hope this would be near the top of the list for a second chance.

i am ever so grateful for Ordinary Fool being released. I can’t imagine it ever being on a shelf of unreleased material. It is perfect from start to finish!

Orlando's WDBO played Ordinary Fool the day of the album release.
I remember that day....heard that one song and raced to the "album store," in Leesburg, to buy the album.
The "Record Rack" at the Mall played the entire album in-store and had it heavily stocked,
with a store-sticker reading "HIT album." I never located a vinyl copy of the 45-Make Believe It's Your First Time, at that time.
MBIYFT did get some airplay here (Central FL) but it was never going to really make it on the radio--too sappy and slow.
I still feel it is a rather weak song and wrong for a single release. Of course, Karen sings it beautifully.
At The End of a Song, now that is a great song !

Last edited:
Our station WMGK in Philly played both "Touch Me When We're Dancing" and "Make Believe It's Your First Time" - but only "just". While those two were on whatever charts they were on, they were played - somewhat sparingly - but they did make it to air in a large metro market.

I recall that we were setting up a computerized music system using our IBM System/34 when "Touch Me" was being added. Our "title" field had one less character than that title and I recall the "Me" getting truncated to just "M" when it was entered. As soon as the song began to descend back down the charts, it was deleted from the playlist never to return.

After Karen's death, I remember that we played "Make Believe It's Your First Time" and some employees flocked to my radio (a nice Sony) to hear the record that they couldn't believe. Karen had passed away - how could there be a new record? Once again, once the record had passed its peak, it was instantly removed from circulation, never to be heard again.

It was years until I next heard a Carpenters record on anyone's air, and it came from an Allentown soft easy listening station when I heard "Honolulu City Lights" while in a car dealer buying a car.

Your views are perfectly fine. As I said, I was just being a bit cranky.

I love the music of the Carpenters - all of it - but the early stuff really rings my bell. I guess it's just a bit distressing coming here every few hours looking for some great discussion about some of that great, early sound, only to find pages and pages devoted to what I perceive as the "lesser" years.

A Christmas single in 1979? It didn't happen, and there's nothing wrong in speculating what it *could* have been. But it would likely have been something already heard, nothing new.

I remember bringing home the VOICE OF THE HEART album and playing through it once. It sounded lovely, if not "hit-laden". And I vowed not to overplay it. Here was an album-full of Karen's vocals that might have to last me a lifetime. LOVELINES and the solo album added to that arsenal. To this day, I don't play those very often as I don't want to wear them out.
Harry, I do the same thing. For instance, I have deliberately not listened to HORIZON for months. The reason? My ears get fatigued. After a rest I can hear anew. It makes it an event. Silence, candles and presto!

Myself, I play at least one Carpenters' song each day. Often-times, I will play a particular Album
for one week. Another album, the following week, etc. Sometimes I cycle through only the Hits (1969-1973, 1974-1978).
In fact, I have carried this ritual through since about 1975....and, it was HORIZON
that really cemented my Carpenters' love.
No ear fatigue for me, ever...at least, not with Carpenters.

Voice of the Heart is not one of my favorite albums. It's one of the weakest ones in the canon, in my opinion. And I believe this comes from Richard picking the weakest of songs in the vault for inclusion all the while songs like Where Do I Go From Here, You're the One, and Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night sat on a shelf. The first posthumous album should/could have been what Lovelines ultimately was...sans Karen's solo stuff replaced with the few "better" tracks from VOTH.

^^ I was fist pumping your comment Geographer all the way down until the last part of your last sentence when you had to fire yet another torpedo into the blazing, crippled, ill-fated USS Karen Carpenter Solo Album. Let's not forget it was your guy that cherry-picked songs off that work to use on his projects. So they couldn't have been all that bad. Just sayin'...

Harry, forgive me for going a bit off-topic and I don't want this thread to become a tit-for-tat marathon...do with it what you will...

^^ I was fist pumping your comment Geographer all the way down until the last part of your last sentence when you had to fire yet another torpedo into the blazing, crippled, ill-fated USS Karen Carpenter Solo Album. Let's not forget it was your guy that cherry-picked songs off that work to use on his projects. So they couldn't have been all that bad. Just sayin'...

Harry, forgive me for going a bit off-topic and I don't want this thread to become a tit-for-tat marathon...do with it what you will...

If one thinks about it, we could have had one less posthumous album and yet still have all the songs. My point was that Karen's solo album cuts should have been left on Karen's solo album. We already had a couple released on From The Top/Essential Collection...then a few more "dribbled" out on Lovelines. By the time her solo album was release, there was only a few songs most fans hadn't already heard or owned. In kind, the October '83 release...the first one after Karen's passing...could have been a bigger seller had the material been better. At that time, a stellar tune such as Where Do I Go From Here, You're the One, and/or Kiss Me the Way You Did Last Night, would have fared way better as singles to promote that album than MBIYFT did.

I find no "wow" moments on VOTH, apart from Ordinary Fool. But on Lovelines I have no less than three "wow" moments and some great listenable tunes such as "Uninvited Guest" and "Honolulu City Lights." The weaker VOTH tunes could have found there way on to other compilations as "previously unreleased" tunes, or on As Time Goes By (making even that release stronger). thus boosting sales of those releases.

A more cynical part of me thinks that it's all been some sort of evil marketing strategy: Release all the weaker tunes first, soon after Karen's passing, as that's when they are more likely to sell. Then, release the great ones years later, after her memory has faded somewhat, and then, finally, release her solo album. I don't believe this scenario, but I was actually "mad" when I heard Lovelines because I couldn't believe Richard would have given us VOTH with such weak material first.

I loe VOTH. I'd rank it equal to or higher than MIA, Ticket, Passage and even go so far as to say it's as good as the great Tan album.

I return to the Fan Club Newsletters, because we need HISTORICAL perspective.
The Voice of the Heart album was intended as a TRIBUTE to Karen--Jerry Moss oversaw the artwork for the album,
as well as the advertising campaign for the album (source: A&M First 25 Years book).
It was slated for (and completed by) summer release, but held back until fall (PEOPLE mag)---due to concerns of appearing
to "take advantage" of Karen's passing. Interviews AT THAT TIME intimated that enough material was
left "in the vaults," but Richard did not know if A&M would request another album of material.
At the time
, it was a definitive NO GO for any of the SOLO material.
The Lovelines album was intended for the 20th Anniversary of their signing to A&M--two of those
songs had already been included in the highly-rated CBS Movie of Karen's life (You're The One and Where Do I Go From Here).

We are comparing APPLES to ORANGES:
Voice of the Heart was TRIBUTE.
Lovelines was CELEBRATION.
They both work beautifully for their respective purposes.

Historical perspective is often overlooked, especially by those who weren't around then.

At the time, it was a definitive NO GO for any of the SOLO material.

I’ve often wondered what the trigger was for the inclusion of solo material six years later. Was it a lack of enough viable remaining Carpenters tracks to make up a full album? Or a gradual acceptance that they were releasable after all? Or to partially satisfy the fan requests for the solo material since her death? From the interviews I’ve read, Richard received a drip feed of polite requests after 1983 for Karen’s album to be released and that the floodgates only opened after fans got to hear a sprinkling of tracks in 1989.

Last edited:
I return to the Fan Club Newsletters, because we need HISTORICAL perspective.
The Voice of the Heart album was intended as a TRIBUTE to Karen--Jerry Moss oversaw the artwork for the album,
as well as the advertising campaign for the album (source: A&M First 25 Years book).
It was slated for (and completed by) summer release, but held back until fall (PEOPLE mag)---due to concerns of appearing
to "take advantage" of Karen's passing. Interviews AT THAT TIME intimated that enough material was
left "in the vaults," but Richard did not know if A&M would request another album of material.
At the time
, it was a definitive NO GO for any of the SOLO material.
The Lovelines album was intended for the 20th Anniversary of their signing to A&M--two of those
songs had already been included in the highly-rated CBS Movie of Karen's life (You're The One and Where Do I Go From Here).

We are comparing APPLES to ORANGES:
Voice of the Heart was TRIBUTE.
Lovelines was CELEBRATION.
They both work beautifully for their respective purposes.

For me, who was both "around then," and "at the time," It still makes no sense that weakest material was assembled and released while the stronger material was left in the vault "at that time." Whether it was a "tribute" album or a "celebration" shouldn't matter on the quality of the material released. One would think the best tracks would come out as a "tribute" anyway. And, it was also a "no go" in 1989 (Lovelines) regarding Karen's solo album but tracks still made their way out and on to a Carpenters' album. If it were a "no go," then it should have been a "no go." Only when it was a "go" should the solo stuff have come out on the solo record...in complete form.

For me, who was both "around then," and "at the time," It still makes no sense that weakest material was assembled and released while the stronger material was left in the vault "at that time."

I’ve read of many artists who, whilst in the middle of recording an album, think it’s the best they’ve ever done. Only with several years’ hindsight and distance from it, do they look back and question why they ever recorded or released certain songs. I’d say that definitely applies in the case of VOTH. Richard has said so himself.

Just thoughts - with no evidence at all:

Were the songs on VOICE OF THE HEART more easily put together during the year of grief that Richard was obviously going through? Conversely, were the songs on LOVELINES more intricately difficult to finish off, so he held off on putting them together? Were the songs for the telemovie thought of in advance to be saved for that occasion?

Was VOICE OF THE HEART put together for some attempt at a thematic style for a singular album? LOVELINES certainly "hangs together" as an album.

Just thoughts - with no evidence at all:

Were the songs on VOICE OF THE HEART more easily put together during the year of grief that Richard was obviously going through? Conversely, were the songs on LOVELINES more intricately difficult to finish off, so he held off on putting them together? Were the songs for the telemovie thought of in advance to be saved for that occasion?

Was VOICE OF THE HEART put together for some attempt at a thematic style for a singular album? LOVELINES certainly "hangs together" as an album.

Some of the same questions I have!

For me, who was both "around then," and "at the time," It still makes no sense that weakest material was assembled and released while the stronger material was left in the vault "at that time." Whether it was a "tribute" album or a "celebration" shouldn't matter on the quality of the material released. One would think the best tracks would come out as a "tribute" anyway.
I’ve read of many artists who, whilst in the middle of recording an album, think it’s the best they’ve ever done. Only with several years’ hindsight and distance from it, do they look back and question why they ever recorded or released certain songs. I’d say that definitely applies in the case of VOTH. Richard has said so himself.

I think that "Voice of the Heart" is a good collection of songs, but not one of my favorite "albums."
But as far as weaker or stronger material, it all subjective to that listener. Many of us strongly disagree as to their "Carpenters" favorite or least favorite tracks. It's fun to discuss history, but you can't change it!

Back
Top Bottom