⭐ Official Review [Album]: "VOICE OF THE HEART" (SP-4954)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 19 17.8%

Votes: 39 36.4%

Votes: 39 36.4%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 3 2.8%

• Total voters

To be honest, I’ve been a little obsessed with “Two Lives.” Karen’s voice is so perfectly melancholy, and the oboe simultaneously soars and cries. I’m going through something kind of similar in my real life, so the whole song really resonates with me.

To be honest, I’ve been a little obsessed with “Two Lives.” Karen’s voice is so perfectly melancholy, and the oboe simultaneously soars and cries. I’m going through something kind of similar in my real life, so the whole song really resonates with me.

This is one of my favorites as well!

I think Bonnie Raitt covered this song....always wonder if she had heard Karen's version and what she thought of it. Bonnie was on the Anne Murray documentary talking about Anne....

Many off-topic posts deleted above. This isn't a forum where anyone really cares about obscure manufacturing or mastering issues.

Here are more headwinds, since at least April 1980, for Carpenters airplay:
A Record World survey of radio programmers from top 40 radio stations across the country found that virtually no programmers consider
any artists as automatic adds today. Since Elton John's heyday in the early '70s, radio has seen a plethora of artists fall frighteningly fast
from automatic add status to obscurity. Consider a list of artists whose releases were once jumped on by radio but now compete for top 40 airplay:
John Denver, the Carpenters, Barry White, Olivia Newton -John, the Osmonds."...
"Programmers are quick to point out that no one is guaranteed of an add in today's market,
no matter who they are and what their track record is."

Here:

April 1980, Record World Since Elton John's heyday in the early '70s, radio has seen a plethora of artists fall frighteningly fast - John Denver, the Carpenters, Barry White, Olivia Newton -John, the Osmonds."...
"Programmers are quick to point out that no one is guaranteed of an add in today's market, no matter who they are and what their track record is."

Here:
Nevertheless, some of the named artists bounced back, big time. Even around this time, Elton John had quite a big hit with ‘Little Jeanie’, (I think, the end of 1980) and then continued to have consistent hits throughout the 1980s, especially in the first half of the decade. Olivia Newton-John went on to have one of the biggest hits of the 1980s, (‘Physical), plus a number of other big hits, with her reinvented image. Just goes to show, even those who called the shots couldn’t predict what might happen.

VOICE OF THE HEART — The Carpenters — A&M SP-4954 — Producer: Richard Carpenter

Completed before Karen Carpenter’s death earlier this year, this LP will probably be the last and most remembered collection of new songs by the brother and sister duo. One cannot help feel sad about the void she has left, but the songs featured on this LP are some of the best the duo has recorded in some time and the uplifting messages in their lyrics demand that “Voice of the Heart” be taken as a message of happiness and optimism. This is a fond farewell from a great singer who will be long appreciated for her inspirational and strong love for the music she sang. Recommended cuts Include the single, "Make Believe It’s Your First Time,” the nostalgic “At The End Of TheSong” and the escapist “Sailing On The Tide.”

I've just set my old 1990s AIWA stereo stack system back up this week and been playing some of my old LPs. I'd forgotten just how beautiful this album really is and it sounds incredible on vinyl.

When I first heard 'Two Lives' many years ago, I hated it, but I've come to really love it. The acoustic guitar parts in the verses really are outstanding - they twinkle along and wrap themselves around Karen's vocal throughout the track.

I found myself shaking my head with sadness when 'Make Believe It's Your First Time' played - it's amazing how differently two versions of the same song, with the same singer, can make you feel. The solo version is both innocent and yearning, whereas the Carpenters' version is wistful and full of sadness.

Great album.

This still remains a very sentimental album to me and what I still consider a gift to the fans. It’s not a perfect Carpenters album but it sure made me feel at the time, this was the last album the ending track made it all so final and I was content. Little did I know at the time there would be more to come.

Carpenters Nov 22, 1983 VOTH Article Palm Springs CA The Desert Sun.jpg

This article says Richard had booked time in the studio on Feb 11th. I’d love to know what he had planned that day to work on recording or laying down vocals with Karen, to what song or songs was he considering?

This article says Richard had booked time in the studio on Feb 11th. I’d love to know what he had planned that day to work on recording or laying down vocals with Karen, to what song or songs was he considering?

It also says he completed nearly 20 tracks. There were ten on VOTH so that leaves, the following 9 tracks, so what he says checks out.

Slow Dance
Where Do I Go From Here
Honolulu City Lights
The Uninvited Guest
Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night
Little Girl Blue
When I Fall In Love
Rainbow Connection
Leave Yesterday Behind

I guess he considered other tracks like ‘Peter Pan Moon’ and ‘Fallin’ For Love’, but couldn’t use them as there wasn’t a complete lead. As he’s said: “Peter Pan Moon would be on Voice Of The Heart if it had a whole lead. We were crazy about that, but never got it completed and it doesn't have a whole lead”.

Does anyone know anything about 'Peter Pan Moon'? Can't find a thing online ...

I’ve looked too and nothing. At first I thought it might have been a soundtrack song but no such song exists. Given that it’s never been recorded by another artist, it sounds like a demo they were considering releasing at the time but that they never got round to finishing.

We know from Richard himself that are still a few songs with a complete or partial lead that he could put out if he wanted to. The tracks with a partial lead could be woven into a nice medley, similar to what ABBA did with the ‘Undeleted’ tracks:

Complete Leads

All My Life
Won’t You Play A Simple Melody
Try And Win A Friend
Something’s Missing
Why Don’t They Understand

Partial Leads

All Good Things Don’t Have To End
Come And Be Kind
Peter Pan Moon
Fallin’ For Love

They cut it on the evening of June 13, 1980 into the early hours of the 14th. A couple of guitar overdub sessions with Peluso ensued over the next several days through June 23, followed by a full orchestral chart recorded on August 26 (same day Karen's "Wedding Song", "Last of the Romantics" and "Somebody's Been Lyin'").

They cut it on the evening of June 13, 1980 into the early hours of the 14th. A couple of guitar overdub sessions with Peluso ensued over the next several days through June 23, followed by a full orchestral chart recorded on August 26 (same day Karen's "Wedding Song", "Last of the Romantics" and "Somebody's Been Lyin'").

That always confused me that they’d go to all the expense of a full orchestra when Karen hadn’t yet even laid a vocal down.

That always confused me that they’d go to all the expense of a full orchestra when Karen hadn’t yet even laid a vocal down.
This is why they typically recorded several in one day. You essentially pay union musicians a bulk rate for their time and get as much done as possible.

there are a few entries for peter pan moon on youtube. it is a gentle, child-like song. i do not know if it is the same as carpenters recorded, but it is a unique title to have multiple offerings. google search peter pan moon, the song. i can easily hear a richard carpenter treatment.

richard has stated that karen wanted to hear everything,, the complete orchestration, while she performed the lead vocal.

richard has stated that karen wanted to hear everything,, the complete orchestration, while she performed the lead vocal.

I get that, but it’s an expensive way to go about it if for any reason it doesn’t turn out as expected.

Back
Top Bottom