Am I crazy or did something change?

Proudofyou

I went to listen to the philharmonic album and there's a new intro to yesterday once more?? I have the iTunes download and either I'm nuts, or there's a different arrangement at the beginning than when I first downloaded it?? Did I miss a thread on this? Apologies if I did.

The final version of the album with the final mixes of YOM and TTR, WOJB for me is great. My favorites are INTBIL, with the beautiful interlude that segues seamlessly into the song. That gave me chills - one of the best moment for me. TTR benefitted by having the new stereo piano, which makes the song sound like it was just freshly recorded even though parts of the recording go back 50 years. I do like the additional orchestration on WOJB though the final balance put Karen's vocals a bit further back in the mix than I would have liked. I also like "Superstar" and "Rainy Days..." while CTY was a bit of a disappointment. It lacks a bit of finesse that the original and previous remix versions have. I get the feeling Richard had trouble deciding how he would or could enhance this song. I would have loved it if it had the extended ending that it has on the original CTY album. There were missed opportunities with TOTW and PMP. I think Richard could have done more with new arrangements on these. Overall, the album was a success for me, but only the version with the final mixes.

obviously there's a segue etc, but I'm talking about a change in orchestration since I downloaded the album months ago. it's like someone went in overnight and replaced that one specific track after releasing the album!

Yes, there were a couple of changes made to iTunes tracks upon the release date, most notably Yesterday Once More's intro. It was surprising to me too to hear my iTunes version suddenly change from the version I initially downloaded. The change was discussed somewhere in the Philharmonic thread. The preview track of YOM that was available as 'single' download had the piano in the start as it is on the CD version, then it was updated with the change on release day with the harp leading in. It's too bad the CD of the album doesn't have the updated version.

It's too bad the CD of the album doesn't have the updated version.

Well, we don't officially know that just yet. There have been reports of purchased CDs that may have the updated tracks.

ok, so at least I know I wasn't imagining it. wouldn't it be cool if that could be a regular thing? buy an album, pay a nominal membership fee and get updated tracks every so often! lololol. looks like I just created an entire new industry. hahaha.

Well, we don't officially know that just yet. There have been reports of purchased CDs that may have the updated tracks.

You think it's confusing now, just wait until the vinyl comes out LOL :uhhuh:

oh boy. another carpenters album or a gucci bag. at this point, I could have bought out the gucci store for all the money I've spent on this music over the years.

Yes, there were a couple of changes made to iTunes tracks upon the release date, most notably Yesterday Once More's intro. It was surprising to me too to hear my iTunes version suddenly change from the version I initially downloaded. The change was discussed somewhere in the Philharmonic thread. The preview track of YOM that was available as 'single' download had the piano in the start as it is on the CD version, then it was updated with the change on release day with the harp leading in. It's too bad the CD of the album doesn't have the updated version.
Are you saying that your already downloaded iTunes versions suddenly “upgraded” all by themselves? Both of my downloaded versions, downloaded the day they both came out are identical to the day I downloaded them. To date, I haven’t been able to hear this alternate version with the harp and no piano.

Are you saying that your already downloaded iTunes versions suddenly “upgraded” all by themselves? Both of my downloaded versions, downloaded the day they both came out are identical to the day I downloaded them. To date, I haven’t been able to hear this alternate version with the harp and no piano.

Good question, Matthew. I just checked my downloaded versions again. They have not changed, but when I play the album through the iTunes app on my phone, I hear the updated versions. I guess it's because when I play them through the phone app it's streaming. Which is strange, because I have the downloaded versions on my phone too, but instead it plays the updated ones. Sorry if what I posted before was confusing. I would have sworn the versions on my computer were playing the updated versions as well.
I find iTunes to be so frustrating lately for many reasons.

Last edited:
Yes!!!!! My phone plays a different intro version than my computer for YOM....but it wasn't always like that till recently!!!

Back
Top Bottom