Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Amy Grant
AGE TO AGE
A&M SP-5056
AG-AgeToAge-AlbumCover-250.jpg

. "In a Little While" Amy Grant, Brown Bannister, Gary Chapman, Shane Keister 4:20
2. "I Have Decided" Michael Card 3:13
3. "I Love a Lonely Day" Chapman, Michael W. Smith 4:03
4. "Don't Run Away" Grant, Chapman 3:33
5. "Fat Baby" Steve Millikan, Rod Robison 2:09
6. "Sing Your Praise to the Lord" Rich Mullins 3:12
7. "El Shaddai" Card, John Thompson 4:05
8. "Raining on the Inside" Grant, Kathy Troccoli 4:10
9. "Got to Let It Go" Grant, Bannister, Chapman, Keister, Smith 4:00
10. "Arms of Love" Grant, Chapman, Smith 3:10

• Amy Grant: vocals
  • Jon Goin: guitars
  • Gary Chapman: guitars, background vocals
  • Mike Brignardello: bass
  • Paul Leim: drums
  • Terry McMillan: percussion
  • Farrell Morris: percussion
  • Michael W. Smith: keyboards, piano
  • Shane Keister: keyboards, organ, synthesizer
  • Sheldon Kurland: strings
  • Gene Meros: saxophone
  • Dennis Solee: saxophone
  • Bobby G. Taylor: oboe
  • Cindy Reynolds: harp
  • Lori Brooks: background vocals
  • Jackie Cusic: background vocals
  • Diana DeWitt: background vocals
  • Phil Forrest: background vocals
  • Pam Mark Hall: background vocals
  • Dennis Henson: background vocals
  • Gary Pigg: background vocals
  • Kathy Troccoli: background vocals

• Producer: Brown Bannister
  • Executive Producer: Michael Blanton, Dan Harrell
  • Engineer: Jack Joseph Puig
  • Mastering by Steve Hall
  • Arranger: Alan Moore
  • Design: Dennis Hill
  • Photography: Mike Borum
Released on Myrrh/Word in 1983 & on A&M in 1985

The first contemporary Christian album to go gold & platinum, and considered her breakthrough record

JB

This is my favorite amy grant release along with her earlier albums. Every song is a favorite especially "EL SHADDAI" and "IN A LITTLE WHILE". Those two are standouts for me.

Sometime back in late 2014 and early 2015, I had become so enamored of Amy Grant's HOME FOR CHRISTMAS and her extra cassette track of "Let The Season Take Wing", that I undertook the adventure of trying to assemble a decent-sized selection of her albums. One of Amy's biggest fans is a regular on the Steve Hoffman forum, and I engaged him about what he recommended.

Unequivocally, he responded that Amy is best represented by her A&M label output. There have been all sorts of reissues done since her A&M days, but hands-down, the A&M stuff has the winning sound. So I began a search of eBay and other used sources and assembled a pretty good-sized collection on CD.

The earliest I found for a while was CD 5056, AGE TO AGE, and I began my new listening experience there. As the disc played, I thought it was pretty good. And then I got to "El Shaddai". There aren't that many records that stop me in my tracks, but this one did. I must have played it over and over again a hundred times. An instant favorite.

With more searches, I ended up with a few more earlier CDs in the series. My collection now includes:

CD 5053 NEVER ALONE
CD 5054 IN CONCERT
CD 5055 IN CONCERT VOLUME TWO
CD 5056 AGE TO AGE
CD 5057 A CHRISTMAS ALBUM
CD 5058 STRAIGHT AHEAD
CD 5060 UNGUARDED
CD 3900 THE COLLECTION
CD 5199 LEAD ME ON
75021 5321-2 HEART IN MOTION
31454 0001-2 HOME FOR CHRISTMAS
31458 8050-4 "Let The Season Take Wing" (cassette)
CD 0230 HOUSE OF LOVE
580 829-2 "Say You'll Be Mine" (CD single)
31454 0760-2 BEHIND THE EYES
06949 0462 2 A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER
06949 3316 0 LEGACY...HYMNS & FAITH
B0000612-02 SIMPLE THINGS
B0003415-02 GREATEST HITS | 1986-2004
B0000695-02 THE BEST OF AMY GRANT 20TH CENTURY MASTERS THE CHRISTMAS COLLECTION

In my research, I don't believe any earlier albums were issued on A&M CDs, and I have one later disc, MY BEST CHRISTMAS that I got for its inclusion of "Merry Christmas Darling."

I have sporadically listened to some of these albums, but with less driving-time in retirement, my pure listening time for full albums is limited. I need to allocate more time to exploring these, but I fear I won't find another "El Shaddai"...

Harry

I dont think there will ever be another " El Shaddai" it is truly a One of a kind tune by A One Of A Kind Artist.

Harry, try "I will carry you" . I can't remember which disc its on but it is another classic. On one of her Christmas albums, "Christmas Lullaby" grabs me as well.

I remember A&M promo guy Jon Konjoyan telling me he went to a BBQ at her home, and Amy was one of the nicest folks he'd ever met. I remember another guy - name withheld- telling me that in person, Amy was almost mesmerizingly beautiful.

These clusters of Amy Grant and Petra releases on A&M were part of A&M's own "label merge frenzy" that occurred in the mid-80s. These particular ones were from a deal A&M arranged with Christian music label Word/Myrrh records. Everything prior to Straight Ahead previously existed on the Word or Myrrh labels. The Horizon imprint was briefly revived as part of the Christian music group of labels as well. A&M ventured in to classical music with a similar arrangement with Nimbus records and another label whose name escapes me at the moment (Denon?). In addition to this they had other labels (Gold Mountain, I.R.S.) that were growing and even started new imprints like Oz Records for Australian and New Zealand bands they were hoping to break in the US (this was brought about by the huge success of Men At Work on another label).

--Mr Bill

www.deuceofclubs.com used to be called amygrantsmandible.com and was an amusing blog. Once you go to Deuce Of Clubs you will see it still IS the Amy Grant's Mandible Blog. An amusing read!

--Mr Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom