An Addition to the TJB Discography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_66_Fan

Don't know if it's been covered here yet, but I've got a 5-lp compilation put out by the 'Longines Symphonette Society' called "A Treasury of the Award-Winning Herb Alpert & the TJB Plus Selections From The BMB. They're stereo lp's in a slipcase, numbered LWS-500 thru 504, undated and has "Courtesy of A&M Records" on the black labels. The slipcase cover has a cropped shot of the "South Of The Border" album cover, and based on the tracks seems to be just after release of "Whipped Cream" -

Side 1: Taste of Honey; Tangerine; Green Peppers; Let It Be Me; Hello, Dolly!; Mexican Shuffle

Side 2: Whipped Cream; Lemon Tree; Bittersweet Samba; A Quiet Tear; Numero Ciaco; Surfin' Senorita

Side 3: Acapulco, 1922; Love Potion #9; Peanuts; El Lobo; Crea Mi Amor; Spanish Harlem

Side 4: The Great Manolette; Ladyfingers; Lollipops & Roses; I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face; Winds of Barcelona; Mexican Corn

Side 5: America; Marching Through Madrid; Butterball; Adios, Mi Corazon; Mexico; Salud, Amor Y Dinero

Side 6: Girl From Ipanema; Struttin' With Maria; Never On Sunday; Limbo Rock; El Presidente; Up Cherry Street

Side 7: The Lonely Bull; Desafinado; Green Leaves of Summer; Crawfish; Swinger From Seville; All My Loving

Side 8: South of the Border; Milford; El Garbanzo; Tijuana Sauerkraut; Angelito; More

The last disc is BMB -

Side 9: Juarez; Maria Elena; Samba De Orpheu; Red Roses For a Blue Lady; Charade; Woody Woodpecker Song

Side 10: Hecho en Mexico; Moonglow/Picnic Theme; Guacamole; Maria's First Rose; Brasilia; Baja Nights

Perhaps these non A&M issued compilation sets don't count?

Tim,

I think when Neil first set up the discography, he only ever intended it to contain regular-issued albums released domestically, since setting up the pages and reviews are rather a chore. That's why items such as the TREASURY that you mentioned, and promotional releases like the DEE JAY SAMPLER weren't included. It's a good bet that once we get this dynamic discography thing going for Carpenters, Neil will want to revisit the old TJB section and update it to the new system. Once it's up, it will be easy to add entries for foreign compilations, promos, etc.

Many of us TJB "hardliners" are proud owners of the Longines set, even though there's nothing really new there, though the gold A&M logo is kind of nifty. Actually, that set was one of my very first eBay purchases, having learned of it here.

Harry
...watching a storm roll through, online...

Harry,
Thanks, I kinda figured that was the case, since you guys are more 'hardcore' than I am! I got this set a while ago at a library book/media sale for $2.50, and the records don't look like they've been played much, if at all. Hope you didn't pay too much for it on eBay! Speaking of eBay, I've been spending most of my online time there, buying car and motorcycle parts, models and kits, and even some Brasil '66 stuff but am returning to the A&M Corner fold for awhile, since it's much cheaper and more fun...! Sitting here at the keyboard doesn't allow me to accomplish much with all the stuff I buy either, not to mention how much it kills my back........

Tim: Melodies & Memories over in Eastpointe (the larger location on Gratiot) used to have a couple in stock all the time. I think they were asking $10 for it, which is a fair deal for a 5-LP set. Thing is, I haven't lived over that way since 1995, and quit working out there in 1999, so it's been over three years since I've been to any of the vinyl shops over there!

Haven't bought many car parts, but did get ahold of a used cylinder head for the Accord in the garage ($50) and a complete McCord gasket set (including head gasket, and all other gasket, o-rings and oil seals) for $20 and change. (Looked up retail pricing on the gasket set--it's usually around $140 for the kit!) Only thing I do now is browse the eBay Motors listings for classic 60's Buicks. The Wildcat logo to the left is a giveaway. :wink: (Although I wouldn't turn down an Electra 225 convertible either!)

-= N =-
...future hopeful Wildcat owner...

Brasil_66_Fan said:
Harry,
Hope you didn't pay too much for it on eBay!

Nah! It was back in the early days of eBay when things were cheap and competition was low! These days, if I see something out of the ordinary on eBay, I try to find alternate sources to just "buy" it. Case in point: this past week there was an eBay listing for a ROCKIN' SLUMBER PARTY album that contained two Herbie Alpert tracks, "Summer School" and "Hully Gully." I knew of this album from Paula here, who'd lent me hers to dub to CD a couple of years ago. The actual single is tough to come by, and this album doesn't show up very often either. Initially, when the bids were low, I considered snapping it up, but they quickly got higher than $25. It was then that I tried another source for used vinyl, and found a copy for less than $20 -- more in line with what it's really worth, both to a collector and to a collector of Herb Alpert stuff like me. BTW, final bidding on the eBay listing yesterday went for $51.

Another case was a Sergio Mendes compilation CD called EASY LOUNGIN' COLLECTION. I'd heard of this one before, but never saw it listed anywhere. It showed up on eBay listed for $25 or higher. I really liked the track listing (even though I've already got all this stuff elsewhere), but I decided I wanted this Sergio disc. Did some online searches and found it at German Music Express for only $20.97. This seemed reasonable and I didn't have to get into the bidding fray. Now I think I'll go post a review about EASY LOUNGIN' COLLECTION over on the Mendes/Brazilian forum.

Harry
NP: EASY LOUNGIN COLLECTION, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

I tend to bid very late...if you catch my drift. :wink: But I always get a sense of what should sell for before bidding on it. I just see so much that goes astronomical--I mean, a lot of those import TJB CDs hardly justify anything more than $20-$30 (especially SRO, quality-wise)...and yet they get into the hundreds of dollars.

Not so much in Herb Alpert-related material, but in others I follow, it's always funny to see these collectors and eBay sellers trying to get away with selling an album at an astronomical figure...and then see the album come out a few months later on CD, which basically makes those other items a lot less valuable! It happened with a couple of Verve By Request titles that I patiently waited for. :wink:

-= N =-

Rudy said:
Only thing I do now is browse the eBay Motors listings for classic 60's Buicks. The Wildcat logo to the left is a giveaway. :wink: (Although I wouldn't turn down an Electra 225 convertible either!)

A Honda Accord owner who's a wannabe neo-classic, gas-guzzler Buick owner? Now that's a strange combo; and I thought the Accord/Triumph Spitfire/TR-6 engineer I work with was odd. Well, I'm worse than all of you; I design truck exhaust systems but own a 1958 Alfa Romeo Spider race car (which should be out running the Meadowbrook Historic Race at Waterford Hills Raceway as I speak if I'd ever get my S!%& together), a 1968 Alfa Guilia Coupe street car which needs it's engine pulled and rebuilt, a bunch of Suzuki motorcycles (two 125s, a 150, a 550, a 600 and a 1000 from 1968 to 1996) in various states of disrepair to almost new, 1000's of model car, motorcycle and airplane kits which I'll NEVER start and/or finish. And that's just for starters. Anytime a package arrives in the mail, my wife gives me the evil eye and my only hope is my 11 year old (the only one of my four kids showing any interest) will carry on where I leave off.
Never bought any cars or bikes on eBay, but have really been tempted. Mostly things like engine and trim parts, books, etc.

And Brasil '66 sheet music, Japanese 45's, a couple of CDs but no albums yet. I've found a lot records at used book sales or resale shops, which is why I've got multiples of each B66 album thru Ye-Me-Le along with many other A&M LPs. I guess I feel like I'm "rescuing" them from the scrap heap, since there's no logical reason to buy them anymore; sounds like I need professional help...

Brasil_66_Fan said:
A Honda Accord owner who's a wannabe neo-classic, gas-guzzler Buick owner? Now that's a strange combo; and I thought the Accord/Triumph Spitfire/TR-6 engineer I work with was odd.

Odd, yes, but logically odd. :wink: We'd had a couple of cars while I was growing up (early 60's Chevy, '73 Catalina, '71 LeSabre, early 70's Plymouth Suburban station wagon), but the one that sticks in my mind most fondly is the white four-door '65 Wildcat we had up until 1975 (when the '73 Catalina replaced it). Unfortunately rust never slept, and there were a couple of other problems that eventually made us retire it.

65wildcat00.jpg

Recent eBay item...'65 Wildcat Coupe

We'd had a few other clunkers (including a 1979 Chrysler Newport that was constantly breaking down, even when new), but after a very bad experience with a Ford I owned, we've bought Hondas since 1988 (when we got the Accord, which has 160k on it but unfortunately threw a timing belt quite awhile ago and bent the valves...hence, the new cylinder head).

Aside from getting the Accord running, the only "toy" :D I've ever wanted was a Honda Rebel:

2003rebel.jpg

Although I'd probably be disowned by the Mrs. and the rest of the family. :wink:

As far as the rest of the collection end of things, I've never been a big buyer of a lot of LPs or CDs...usually, once I find a good copy of the LP, I won't buy any more. And I rarely will buy a compilation of music I already own. (Unless I need an album cover for a scan and nobody else has it--then I'll find a 'dollar' copy somewhere.) I guess I'm more "completist" when it comes to having all of the songs, since I can then put together my own compilations to match others, or roll my own. Especially lately--I've put my 100-CD changer upstairs, and am slowly filling it with custom CDs, either condensing two albums onto one CD, or making up compilations of favorites.

-= N =-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom