An Interview With Stan Getz

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

A while back, PBS did something called, Blank On Blank, fusing old interviews with various celebrities along with animation. I happened upon this by accident while trying to find an interview with Stan Getz on YouTube, and found such an interview using this animation. One poster in the comment section thought that it was demeaning to his character, but I found it insightful, and again, with the animation, an interesting way to present the interview. Unfortunately, I can't provide a link.

Lee Konitz had a classic line about Getz: He's the nicest bunch of guys you'd ever meet. Getz was infamous for his mean streak towards others, usually because of his drinking and drug use. It wasn't until the latter part of his life that he cleaned his act up and tried to make amends towards those he pissed off. It was at that time he met Herb Alpert and they started to work together.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm not familiar with much of his work, besides "Desafinado" and the posthumous release, Bossas and Ballads: The Lost Sessions, but I'm starting to familiarize myself with his music more and more. Yes, I was aware of his alcoholism and drug use, which gave him his mean streak, and the fact that he worked with Herb Alpert. I liked how he explained what jazz is to him: "Jazz is not about licks. It's not about who can play the fastest. Jazz is about a logical beginning, middle and ending".

Not sure why anyone would think it's demeaning. I liked the animation and the film contained his own words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom