🎄 Holidays! AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS, SIDE "B" [POLL]

Which Side "B" Track Is Your Most Favorite?

• 8.) "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 9.) "My Favorite Things"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10.) "He Came Here For Me"

• 11.) "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 12.) "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?"

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • 13.) "Selections From 'The Nutcracker'"

• 14.) "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day"

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
“AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS”
Side B

An_Old_Fashioned_Christmas_THUMB.jpg

Track Listing:

8.) Do You Hear What I Hear? 2:53 (Regney/Shayne)
9.) My Favorite Things 3:53 (Rodgers/Hammerstein)
10.) He Came Here For Me 2:12 (Nelson)
11.) Santa Claus Is Coming To Town 4:04 (Gillespie/Coots)
12.) What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve? 2:51 (Loesser)
13.) Selections from “The Nutcracker” 6:14 (P.D. Peter Illych Tchaikovsky, Adapted by Richard Carpenter)

a. Overture Miniature
b. Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy
c. Trepak
d. Valse Des Fleurs

14.) I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day 2:21 (Marks/Longfellow, Adapted by Johnny Marks)

Santa Claus got my vote. It has the signature harmonies. A fantastic arrangement much like what Rich did to Ticket to Ride. Love the sensual ooziness and those downtown low notes!!!

Jeff

Again, I would have picked "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" as it was a signature Christmas single for them - but again, this is the wrong version. It's too "prettied up" for my taste, and the sax solo is just all wrong. Give me the single version any day. It was perfect and needed no embellishments.

So I picked "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" for the excellent use of Karen's lower register.

Harry

[quote="Harry, post: 123003, member: 4”] So I picked "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" for the excellent use of Karen's lower register. Harry [/quote]

I almost picked “I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day” for that very reason, but the classic R&C harmonies on “Santa Claus...” tipped the scale.

I remember when the single of Santa Claus was released and a flurry of copies made their way from Downey to the NW. The pic sleeve was a festive delight and seemed so exclusive. It makes me wonder why I hear lots-o-Karen for the season but no Santa. Instead my airwaves screech Springsteen's. The Perry Como version is a joy. The posting of a live Santa elsewhere fails my download. Oh for the details of the modern age and aging.

Jeff

I just love the classic "Do You Hear". When Karen comes in, it's Christmas magic. I chose "New Year's Eve", though. Something about a romantic Christmas song like this- recorded long before it became trendy to include on Christmas albums. I hear the same wistful longing in her voice as I do in Merry Christmas Darling. And the arrangement is gorgeous.

Again, I would have picked "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" as it was a signature Christmas single for them - but again, this is the wrong version. It's too "prettied up" for my taste, and the sax solo is just all wrong. Give me the single version any day. It was perfect and needed no embellishments.

Exactly. Hate to say it but this version, in one word, sucks. B.B. King says it best: "The Thrill Is Gone."

(The opinion expressed above is purely my own and is not worth the cyber-bits it was written with. :D )

No doubt my vote goes to "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

There really are some great Karen tracks on side 2. I heard the bells is terrific as is He came here for me.
If Karen only had recorded O Holy Night it could have been replaced with this 2nd Santa Claus that pales to the original already recorded.

"What are you doing New Years Eve?" has my vote. I just loved the contemporary aspect of it. I could see this song being sung, with Nelson Riddle and his orchestra backing Karen up, it would have been grand!

"Do You Hear What I Hear", as Karen jumps on the band wagon to join the many covers by myriad artists who have made this one famous (Pat Boone, as well)...

And she still adds to the mystery of "My Favorite Things" being a seasonal favorite making it my 2nd choice, while, I, too, also enjoy the rarity of "What Are You Doing New Years Eve", as it's never as much sung, as literally ASKED! :hockeygrin:

But a real thrilling, and engaging moment is none other than "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day", which ranks with Yes' Jon Anderson's version from Three Ships (A Christmas album, though w/ a few songs 'really Christmas songs' there, too...)

-- Dave

'Do You Hear What I Hear?' is the song I look most forward to hearing every year. It's truly magical when Karen comes in for the second verse. What a VOICE. 'He Came Here For Me' is my second favorite on this album. She sounds better than ever, and it's quite dramatic showcase for her voice.

Wow! This whole side really scream "Holiday Season", doesn't it? :santawave:

Anyway, I have to pick "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day". That song literally had me in tears when I finished hearing it the first time when I bought this album in LP form. I guess it was the song that made me realize what a fantastic angel we just lost.:mudscrying:

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom