Anne Murray documentary

cam89

Anne Murray documentary. At 11:29 she sings a beautiful duet with Glen Campbell, I say a Little Prayer For You/By the Time I get to Phoenix....I love Anne's voice. One thing I will say is she was not shy in showcasing or talking about how good she was....and she was good...she was great!

I always wonder how many male singers wanted and approached to sing with Karen....I know she sang with Perry Como and Andy Williams, John Denver, Gene Kelly and others...but a singer of her calibre she should have been doing more duets....but I guess she chose to sing pretty much with Richard as they were a duo....maybe the Record Company frowned upon her doing so...

At 14;00 Jann Arden mentions she Karen Carpenter.....Jann Arden is a huge fan of Karen and covers SOLITAIRE in one of her albums....as well as dedicating numerous albums to KC

John Denver was the closest male contemporary that sang with Karen. Comin’ Through The Rye/Good Vibrations. Most of us would really love to hear a clean copy of that performance. And the Cutaway.....

That was a nice documentary, 2005 Music of My Life.
It sure struck home to me--and reinforces my opinion-- that Karen Carpenter's voice
remains unparallelled: that is, compare Karen's vocals on When I Fall In Love
with Anne Murray's duet of same with Celine Dion (above, 31min).
Carpenters were--as usual-- ahead of their time !

Anne Murray documentary. At 11:29 she sings a beautiful duet with Glen Campbell, I say a Little Prayer For You/By the Time I get to Phoenix....I love Anne's voice. One thing I will say is she was not shy in showcasing or talking about how good she was....and she was good...she was great!

I always wonder how many male singers wanted and approached to sing with Karen....I know she sang with Perry Como and Andy Williams, John Denver, Gene Kelly and others...but a singer of her calibre she should have been doing more duets....but I guess she chose to sing pretty much with Richard as they were a duo....maybe the Record Company frowned upon her doing so...

At 14;00 Jann Arden mentions she Karen Carpenter.....Jann Arden is a huge fan of Karen and covers SOLITAIRE in one of her albums....as well as dedicating numerous albums to KC

Finally watched the 'Music of my Life" documentary and fully enjoyed it. Thanks for posting, cam89.

Yes, I've never heard Anne Murray sing her own praises so much but you have to be extremely confident to make your life out of standing up on stage in front of thousands of people and singing every night. She does have the goods to be able to do this, so her confidence is warranted. She's certainly a very strong person.

I especially liked Anne's live performance of "Can't Help Falling in Love", (the Elvis song), on this doco. Julio Iglesias' voice blended well on this song, too. On this song, Anne hits a warm, rich 'D' below 'Middle C', which Karen was also known to hit, (on other songs).

I have seen Anne Murray live four times, I think, and I'm really glad that I got to see her, seeing as she's now retired. She was faultless live, every time.

I don't think that either Karen or Anne are necessarily the best singer - they are / were both great. I enjoy their sound immensely, in different ways. I enjoy both Anne's and Karen's, (Carpenters'), version of 'When I Fall In Love' equally - I couldn't pick a winner. Anne's version is remarkably warm. For me, Anne is in front with 'I Just Fall in Love Again'. 'Let Me Be the One', Karen wins by quite a long shot, for me. I love Carpenters' harmonies and orchestration on 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again', so that version wins out - and so it goes on. (Anne and Karen and Richard recorded quite a number of the same songs).

What people who are only familiar with Anne's hits perhaps don't realise is that Anne is actually quite rooted in rock. Quite a number of her album tracks have quite a rock edge - more along the lines of the hit, "You Won't See Me". She certainly has that rock edge to her voice, which she also uses more on stage. She's quite a remarkable singer. She can sing almost any style incredibly well - pop, rock, country and also almost bluesy numbers and songs with a hint of gospel.

Like Karen, when Anne goes up into her head voice, demonstrating her contralto capabilities, the sound is truly beautiful - as it is with her chest voice.

What she says on the 'Music of my Life' documentary, about having a good set of ears, certainly seems to be true. Throughout her thirty-two or so albums - and I have all of them - I don't think she's chosen one dud song, or one song that she hasn't been able to do justice to.

Actually, there's just one album that I don't have and that's her very latest, from 2007 - her "Duets - Friends & Legends" album. I didn't get that because I thought it's going to have a lot of the singing of other people on it - and some of them, I wasn't that keen on. I still may get it, sometime.

I don't think that either Karen or Anne are necessarily the best singer - they are / were both great. I enjoy their sound immensely, in different ways.

Really nice set of comments about Anne - and good to see someone who likes her as much as I do. Now, I think I may know what you mean by "best singer", but you might want to elaborate it a little more, because there are several primary aspects involved in being a good or better or best singer - other than the attractiveness and appeal of tonal quality. What do you have in mind specifically?

Had The Carpenters were NOT nominated for "Best New Artist" at the Grammy Awards in early 1971 which they did, I think that Anne Murray might have won!!

Really nice set of comments about Anne - and good to see someone who likes her as much as I do. Now, I think I may know what you mean by "best singer", but you might want to elaborate it a little more, because there are several primary aspects involved in being a good or better or best singer - other than the attractiveness and appeal of tonal quality. What do you have in mind specifically?
Thank you. My comment wan't really too deep - I was just referring to some earlier posts and saying that I didn't necessarily regard either Karen or Anne Murray as the better singer - that I enjoy them both, in different ways.

Sorry, I misunderstood - I thought that you meant in comparison to other female singers...I agree, it's hard to choose, although most people here would give the edge to Karen, of course - but thankfully we have both!

The disbanded rock group The Tragically Hip (with the late Gord Downie) has 23 & Bryan Adams also has 23!!! I think Gordon Lightfoot has 13 or 14 Junos.

Back
Top Bottom