Another Loss In Jazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

We just lost two more jazz legends - Pianist Roland Hanna, who played on the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis sessions for Horizon, who died at the age of 70. Also, trumpeter Bill Berry died on Wednesday. He was a popular name on the west coast, and featured ex-TJBers Nick Ceroli and Dave Frishberg in his bands at one point.

Capt. Bacardi

The loss of Sir Roland is sad indeed. From ragtime to Ellington-either solo,trio or in a big band,Roland Hanna could do it all-with intellect,soul,class and dexterity. Like Hank Jones,an unsung grand piano master of which there are precious few today. Neil,if you get a copy of Thad & Mel's "Consummation",as we discussed in a recent thread, let it be known that it is Sir Roland who introduces the theme by himself-a wonderful moment. Mac

My first exposure to Sir Roland was on Jim Hall's CTi album Concierto, on which, if I'm not mistaken, the lineup consisted entirely of past or future A&M'ers. (Hall, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Ron Carter, Sebesky...)

The comparison to Hank Jones is an apt one--both "compleat" jazz musicians of unerring taste and dependability. R.I.P., Sir Roland.

- William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom