"Another Song" - (Your Thoughts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of that song?

Personally, I'm always very proud to play this song to other people 'cause it's a Carpenters side that almost every non-Carpenters experts/lovers don't know..., : their unique "Progressive-Vocal" side.

That song has a special vintage sound to it also..., a vintage sound typical to the "Offering/Ticket To Ride" and "Close To You" albums..., I think their sound/production was a little more sophisticated starting at the "Carpenters" album (Tan - 1971).

Great background vocals (as usual). I also love Karen's raw drumming and the band's "jammed" feel on "Another Song"..., the multiple tempo/intensity changes..., the "dark" feel... I love that.

I know this could not have been possible (forgive my english), but I would've love if The Carpenters would've done a complete album with that kind of song..., "Mr Guder" and "Help" would've fit perfectly on that album also.

:thumbsup:

I always loved "Another Song". As you say, it's almost another side to Carpenters that we rarely got to hear - their rock'n'roll roots are showing here.

The song got a remix too, and it's only found on the rare Japnese six-disc set called SWEET MEMORY.

Harry

The remix from '94/'95 is awesome actually. My favorite part about it is the newly re-arranged and re-recorded bass line by Joe Osborn. It really spices up that ending! -Chris

I've always enjoyed this song and really love the 'remix' - I hadn't heard it in a while and just had a listen.

Did they ever perform this on the Make Your Own Kind of Music series? I have a video from the series with just their musical numbers - this one isn't on it.

Mike

no1kandrfan said:
Did they ever perform this on the Make Your Own Kind of Music series? I have a video from the series with just their musical numbers - this one isn't on it.

' Same here..., it's not on it.

They didn't performed "Another Song" on "Make Your Own Kind Of Music".

Chris May said:
The remix from '94/'95 is awesome actually. My favorite part about it is the newly re-arranged and re-recorded bass line by Joe Osborn. It really spices up that ending! -Chris

Then it must be very different..., thanks for the infos Chris. :thumbsup:

Roland Chayer said:
Chris May said:

Then it must be very different..., thanks for the infos Chris. :thumbsup:

The remix of this tune can be heard only on the Japanese "Sweet Memory" set, disc number four entitled "At Last". -Chris

I dug this one out this morning. The first half of it doesn't sound all that different, but when Joe Osborn's bass part kicks in for the second half, the thing really cooks!

Harry

I've seen that "Sweet Memory" alot on eBay in the past, but for an unknown reason I wasn't really attracted by it. I've checked if it was on sale this week and I didn't see it. I've seen a "Looking For Love" single starting at $2,000 though (Buy It Now at $4,000). It would be too much of a weird move for me to buy it. :confused:

Is this "Sweet Memory" CD(s)avaiable on import order?

Roland Chayer said:
Is this "Sweet Memory" CD(s)avaiable on import order?

I have seen the discs for sale individually several times on eBay. Originally, the discs were sold separately (in '94 I think), then the entire set sold as a boxed package the following year. -Chris

I purchased my SWEET MEMORY six discs through Yuka, who had access to one last set in her stash. I believe it was originally a mail-order-club thingy, where you bought one disc and every few months another one would be sent your way. Then after the whole set was finished, it was offered AS a whole set.

It's fairly encompassing of the Carpenters catalog, with only about one more disc's worth of material excluded. I once thought about assembling the "missing" seventh disc, but never got around to it.

Harry

Thanks for the infos Harry.

Okay, I just heard that "Another Song" 1995 remix...

I think the resolution of the mix is better, but I prefer the bass line on the original. There's some triplet patterns (and other melodies) that fits Karen's drums fills on the original that were not re-done on the remix..., that's a minus to me. Also, since the bass is so much more present on the remix, it takes away a little of that "dark" quality/feel of the original. The remix is still very pleasant and being alot more powerful gives it a new charm..., it's alot more '70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom