🎄 Holidays! Another year without "Something Festive" on CD

Trevor

Another year without "Something Festive" on CD...
oh well.
I know Sergio's song is available on CD. Anyone elses?
I am not a big fan of Christmas music anyway...

Herb's two songs have been on CD for years (though they are slightly different than their SOMETHING FESTIVE versions);

Pete Jolly's track came out on a COOL YULE disc in the UK;

Sergio's song is on the YULESVILLE CD from Shout! Factory (but it's a poorly edited extended version);

Burt Bacharach's track is on the SOMETHING BIG box set from Hip-O;

Claudine's "Snow" has been on various compilations and Japanese CDs for years; (...Sometimes de weend blows, thwoo de twees...)

Liza's track may have been on a Japanese disc a while back, but I've not confirmed that;

We Five's track is on the YOU WERE ON MY MIND/MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY two-fer;

Leaving the two Baja Marimba Band tracks still missing in action on CD here in 2007.

Harry

Bacharach's version of "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" is really cool as is all Burt Bacharach material, but that song was just nailed by Herb, I think. ("Terrific, terrific!")

I think Burt plays it just a little too fast.

I think Pete Jolly's version of Most Wonderful Time Of The Year on the Yule Jazz compilation is different than the one from Something Festive. At least the one I have, it's a newer version.

I like "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" as done by Bobby Helms, though it doesn't appear on the one Christmas Album he did (which is usually all I typically see this time of year)...

It is available as the B-side on the newer '45' of "Jingle Bell Rock"... I was disappointed in that version of "Jingle Bell Rock"... It sounds like it was mixed a little bit differently than its original pressing, backed by "Captain Santa Claus & His Reindeer Space Patrol"...

I did "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" at a Christmas Party we had at work... I even got to open the "Christmas Song Contest" with Leslie Duncan's "Love Song"... (I tried to sound like The Lettermen, but I really had the "Punch" version in my head, so I think I sounded like Steve Adler or Charles Merriam--luckily not Kathy Ward or Dee Steele...!)

Dave

audiofile said:
I think Pete Jolly's version of Most Wonderful Time Of The Year on the Yule Jazz compilation is different than the one from Something Festive. At least the one I have, it's a newer version.

Probably true, but the COOL YULE version is the old A&M recording. Sounds great too.

It seems that Pete Jolly, Sergio Mendes, and Herb Alpert have all redone tunes that were on SOMETHING FESTIVE!. Herb's "Winter Wonderland" with Jeff Lorber is on the JAZZ TO THE WORLD disc, Sergio's updated "Christmas Song" came out om that Target HOLIDAY JAZZ disc a couple of years ago, and you say that Pete Jolly had an updated recording out of "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year."

Harry

Harry said:
audiofile said:

Probably true, but the COOL YULE version is the old A&M recording. Sounds great too.

Harry

Could someone give me a link to this album?

I think I've asked this before. Who owns it and what would it cost to put it out. I'd like to include the bonus tracks of Claudines other Christmas tune and Wes Montgomery's Greensleeves and K & JJ's Little Drummer Boy. They're putting out everything else. Why not this?

Should I talk to those Omega people? (Just Kidding)

One has to remember that the original SOMETHING FESTIVE was basically a promo album for the A&M label in conjunction with B.F.Goodrich.

I'm sure that Universal would own the rights to the album, but they seem more content licensing out the tracks to whomever wants to do new compilations rather than issue this album as it existed in the '60s.

If I'm not mistaken, Steve S. told us once that it was put on a release schedule some years back but was later withdrawn.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom