Any Info yet on Richard's Christmas CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
William,

Richard's new album is complete and due be released by Universal under A&M logo this fall.Probably late October / early November 2002.

Among the tracks will be new original songs by Carpenter / Bettis "Together At Christmas Again " and Carpenter / Phillips Oland "December Morn " -which would be a great Album title :)

There will be at least one Petula Clark lead vocal track and several other guest vocalists have been recorded -we will have to await the final track selection to see more surprises :o

Hoping that "Toyland " (1978 great outtake) will be included at last for offical release on this set-Richard was doubtful about this track at January 2002 CPAC concert :sad:

Just hope against hope that Universal can get behind this release worldwide , should especially do well in US / Canada and Japan /Asia with huge Carpenters base ( although Christmas is not a key holiday season there) and Richard does plenty of TV/ Radio & personal promotion in late 2002 :o

Peter .....waiting with fascination new original tracks......

Well, I'm ambivalent about the new Christmas album.

On one hand, I'm looking forward to it, as I look forward to all new Carpenters releases. :)
On the other hand, a third Carpenters Christmas album around is a little too much. It will only be great, if some Karen songs are included. Somewhere in the internet I read that Karen once recorded SILENT NIGHT in German, so it's called STILLE NACHT. Does somebody know more about this? :?:

Petula Clark is a nice lady, but her voice is too old, in my opinion. I listened to ALL THOSE YEARS AGO on her compilation album, and there you have it.

I like Richard playing piano instrumentals, so I will buy the Christmas CD anyway.

Petula should be great , having attended CPAC concert ( performances with Richard were a highlight :) ) , her voice was fine in concert , far better than on PBS Special Album recordings.IMHO 2002 ATYA was very simply and beautifully done and I look forward to Petula's new tracks with Richard.

The new set will feature plenty of new original songs and several Richard Instrumentals , I doubt whether any Karen lead Vocals will feature :o

There are many Carpenters Christmas outtakes that could be completed , remixed and remastered for the best sound , however many feature other performers & vocalists .Richard would need to clear performance & track copyrights and this would take time -similar to the problems with ATGB Album (2001).Karen and Ella Medley was planned for 1991 Box Set :shock:

"Stille Nacht " , the German version of Silent Night was a highlight of 1978 "Christmas Portrait" TV Special with Karen using her ligual skills again .This should be released .....but it was a duet as well :!:

Someday Richard will complete these tracks and outtakes either for a third Chrismas Album , or bonus tracks for special re-issues :)

Now Richard does need to release on DVD / Video , Carpenters TV Specials with improved vision and audio for all the Fans...... :) :)

Peter.....humming Silent Night.......

It would be great for me to hear Karen sing STILLE NACHT, cause I'm German.

This song was ofcourse originally written in German language, but not in Germany: It was written in Austria, if I remember this right.

Fascinating, that it has become THE Christmas hit all over the world!

Somewhere I read that Karen and Richard's grandgrandparents or so came from England and Germany.

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht
alles schläft, einsam wacht
nur das traute, hochheilige Paar
holder Knabe im lockigen Haar
schlaf in himmlischer Ruh
schlaf in himmlischer Ruh

Bruno
getting Christmas feelings in the summer :o

Karen and Richard's father Harold was English (born in China where his parents were missionaries, schooled in England, moved to USA as a teenager). Their mother Agnes was German-American.

I wonder if Agnes' upbringing was at least partially responsible for her being so emotionally cold towards her children (unwilling to hug Karen or tell her that she loved her etc.)? My grandparents were German immigrants, very stern and sober people, and they believed that displays of emotion were inappropriate, even unseemly. It didn't mean that they didn't love their children, just that they never learned how to show it. I wonder if it's something in the Prussian character?

As far as Karen singing Stille Nacht, it was a duet with actress Georgia Engel (she sang soprano, and Karen the alto part). It was very beautifully done, and Karen handled the German pronunciation very well. Unfortunately, they didn't sing the whole song, at least not on the TV special (if I recall correctly, only the first verse?).

Murray

Well, Murray, in general the British are known for not showing their feelings. The Germans are known for deep feelings. If you look at how the Germans celebrate Christmas, for example, you will see what I'm saying. German Christmas songs are full of emotions. But, yes, they are more earnest than American Christmas songs, not so funny and upbeat. Well, Beethoven was a German composer, and Cole Porter an American, that says it all. :wink:

But I think, we can't generalize all Americans, Germans, British or others. Every individual is, well, individual!

And PLEASE, don't call the Germans PRUSSIANS! In Germany there are living lots of different people with different mentalities. Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt.....very different! Prussia, if ever, has something to do with Berlin, but not with the other Germany.A bavarian man would kill you, if you would call him a Prussian! :wink:

And PLEASE, don't call the Germans PRUSSIANS!

I was referring to my grandparents, who came from the Prussian region of Germany. I didn't mean to imply that all Germans are Prussians. Sorry if it came off sounding that way :!: I know that modern Germany is made up of many distinct regions, each with it's own local character. I was just wondering if people of Prussian descent are perhaps, in general, a little more "uptight" than people from other areas of Germany :?:

A bavarian man would kill you, if you would call him a Prussian!

Thanks for the advice. Believe me, I won't be trying that in a Munich beer hall! :D A professor of German history once told me that if you were to ask a Bavarian what his nationality is, he will almost always say "Bavarian", NOT German.

Murray

I see, I have misunderstood your posting, Murray. :)

Yes, it's true what your professor says about Bavaria! We have parliament elections in autumn, and the next federal chancellor will probably be Edmund Stoiber, a very conservative man, who is currently the president of Bavaria! Wonder, how that will work out..... :shock:

By the way:
I live in the Cologne area. And the Cologne people are the most tolerant and openminded people in Germany! :D

Someone posted about that Agnes and Harold were Christian missionaries in China? Were they Methodist missionaries? Were they very religious when they raised Rich and Karen? I don't remember reading anywhere that Richard and Karen even went to church in their adult years. They also had a huge astrology wheel wall thing in their den...so I wouldn't think they were conservative Christians.
Anyone know anything about this?
Steve

Someone posted about that Agnes and Harold were Christian missionaries in China?

Better put your glasses on Steve, and read my post again! :laugh: It was Harold's PARENTS who were missionaries in China (it says so in the Coleman book).

Unfortunately, none of the bios have anything to say about K&R's spiritual lives. However, I have been able to gather a little information over the years in this regard. About 5 years ago, through a mutual friend, I was fortunate to become aquainted with one of the C's eastern cousins (who is a psychologist by profession, and also a part-time evangelist). I was told that Karen became interested in religion again during her time in therapy with Levenkron, and that she accepted Christ as her Savior during a weekend visit to her cousin's home sometime in 1982. Richard and Mary, according to his cousin, never go to church. Richard, apparently, had a lot of bitterness towards God, blaming Him for not preventing Karen's death. His cousin told me that he was "working on him". This was 5 years ago, so I don't know if anything has changed.

BTW, this cousin had enough memorabilia to start a museum (Agnes gave him a lot of Karen's personal effects, including clothing, jewelry, and his prized possession, her Bible, in which she'd marked verses that gave her comfort during her struggle to overcome anorexia). I wish that every fan could see his family photo album!

Sorry that I can't provide more information, or reveal the cousin's identity. I promised that I would keep this confidential, and I've already said far, far too much! This is the last I will say on this subject...

This is interesting stuff...thanks for sharing! Karen found Jesus before she died? Well, I'm glad she at least found spirituality during her final days. Maybe one day Richard will realize that there's a bigger plan and his pain of losing Karen may be insignificant compared to all the lives saved from the grips of anorexia? who knows...

This is wonderful news about Karen!
From 1977, I felt a pressing urge to pray for Karen and Richard, but particularly Karen. I prayed for the years until her death that she would find peace in her life through developing a spiritual relationship with Jesus. I have always wondered about the result.
Thank you so much for the information- it is nice to be reminded that sometimes prayers are answered in the way we'd like.
Mark

I know this is going to sound hokey, so I apologize...I'm not religious, at all. But, I am open to the possibility of an afterlife of some kind. I would like to believe that Karen is on 'the other side,' with her parents and other passed on loved ones, and is a lead singer of some kind of angelic choir...performing duets with the Patsy Cline or the Big Bopper, Ella, Clooney, Nat King Cole, etc. I think one of the 1st things on my list to do on the 'other side' would be to track down and finally meet Miss Carpenter.
Steve

I'm pretty tolerant of all views, but I think our last poster is right. Time to close 'er down.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom