Any unreleased tracks from Richard's "Time" album?

Without A Song

This thought crossed my mind when reading here about all the unreleased tracks from Karen's solo album. I hope that most, if not all of those tracks, are officially released someday. Karen's singing voice is so incredibly distinctive, it should get as much exposure as possible.

As for Richard, I always found his voice to be a pleasant one. Not out of this world like his sister's but one I still like hearing. Which is why it's so much fun to hear them sing and harmonize together.

But I digress. As stated in the subject line, my query is: Are there any unreleased tracks from "Time" featuring Richard or someone else on lead vocals?

Are there any unreleased tracks from "Time" featuring Richard or someone else on lead vocals?

I’ve often wondered that and can only say that I’ve never heard or seen any evidence to support the fact that there is anything completed or releasable sitting in the vaults. It’s possible but would he release it now? Highly doubtful.

There were several additional tracks cut actually. My guess is that the solo work didn’t get the attention the Carpenters catalog has, so it’s never really been discussed.

This is an excellent question. Would be so interesting to know and to hear these tracks if they exist.

I would love to hear them! Richard is a great talent, and with the right song, he carries a tune very well!

If I remember correctly, at the time of TIME's release, the song "The Reply" was listed as a possible cut on the track listing. Of course, we now know that from Akiko's album; however, I thing it was originally intended for TIME (with Richard singing lead, of course, not Akiko).

I only listened to this album for the first time, a few weeks ago. apart about 2 or 3 tracks, I actually rather enjoyed it surprisingly!
just my opinion, but I think `time` didn't that well really, so I don`t think there`d be much interest commercially, to do a second one, even if he did have extra tracks.

There were several additional tracks cut actually. My guess is that the solo work didn’t get the attention the Carpenters catalog has, so it’s never really been discussed.

I really hope these songs eventually do see the light of day, especially since sometimes songs left off an album can be just as good if not better than some of the tunes put on the album. Just think of the songs recorded during the "Made in America" sessions that showed up on "Voice of the Heart," "Lovelines" and "As Time Goes By."

Here are a few tidbits from the official Carpenter Webpage, Q & A:
Source: www.richardandkarencarpenter.com/fans_ask_7.htm
(1) "Peter Knight did (arranged) “It’s Christmas Time”. ...charted for me, we will not be releasing..."
Could this, then, be an unreleased Richard Carpenter performance ? I would like to hear it !
(2) "The Reply," written with Pamela Phillips Oland for Japanese singing star Akiko Kobayashi..."
Thus, it appears as if the song was specifically intended for Akiko.

One of the few RC solo songs that I get a big kick out hearing is ....Say Yeah !
( Paul Janz/Pamela Phillips Oland). !

(1) "Peter Knight did (arranged) “It’s Christmas Time”. ...charted for me, we will not be releasing..."
Could this, then, be an unreleased Richard Carpenter performance ? I would like to hear it !
(2) "The Reply," written with Pamela Phillips Oland for Japanese singing star Akiko Kobayashi..."
Thus, it appears as if the song was specifically intended for Akiko.

One of the few RC solo songs that I get a big kick out hearing is ....Say Yeah !
( Paul Janz/Pamela Phillips Oland). !

I distinctly remember reading that "The Reply" was on the track list prior to TIME's release. Of that, I am certain, because, when I got my copy of TIME, I remember wondering why this song wasn't on there. I'm wondering, if reconstructing a timeline, if Akiko might have been a possible guest vocalist? But I don't think so. But I am not wrong on this one. I remembered the song existed before Akiko's CD.

^^Oh, I fear I have given the impression of doubting your memory.
No such impression is intended. My linking to the Carpenter fansite is merely intended to
provide Richard Carpenters' response to a fan's question. As, I have no information
of my own to offer ! Richard writes as if he wrote the song, The Reply, specifically for Akiko.
I certainly did not mean to infer that you were " wrong on this one."
:)

!
If you read the question it is regarding the piano arrangements and whether they were charted. So I think he's referring to what were hear on Christmas Portrait and not a different recording. The original question sounds like the person was asking if there might be printed music at some point featuring the charts that were created for Richard so that someone could play the piano arrangement at home on their own piano.

For the benefit of other readers, here is the entire Q & A from the official website:
Q:
I know you wrote the piano arrangements for "From This Moment On" and "It's Christmas Time".
Are they charted and if so, will you ever consider releasing them?
A:
No, Ken Welch did “From This Moment On” and
Peter Knight did “It’s Christmas Time”.
They were charted, but for me, and we will not be releasing them.

On a related note, I see in December 1985...
" Richard and vocalist Pam Miller performed
It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well Little Children.
Richard also sang his new arrangement of A Cradle In Bethlehem
and dueted with Pam on Christ Is Born."
(Source: Feb 1986 Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter #85)

I would like to hear those gems.

For the benefit of other readers, here is the entire Q & A from the official website:
Q:
I know you wrote the piano arrangements for "From This Moment On" and "It's Christmas Time".
Are they charted and if so, will you ever consider releasing them?
A:
No, Ken Welch did “From This Moment On” and
Peter Knight did “It’s Christmas Time”.
They were charted, but for me, and we will not be releasing them.

On a related note, I see in December 1985...
" Richard and vocalist Pam Miller performed
It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well Little Children.
Richard also sang his new arrangement of A Cradle In Bethlehem
and dueted with Pam on Christ Is Born."
(Source: Feb 1986 Carpenters Fan Club Newsletter #85)

I would like to hear those gems.
Plus we know that Richard has done Together At Christmas, plus he has written December Morn and Christmas Turned Blue, both of which were sung by Seiko Matsuda (with Richard on background vocals on one) on her Love album from 2002.

Speaking of unreleased, has anyone ever heard the song
I've Never Been In Love Before.
CFC Newsletter #47 (Feb 1976) mentions that that song was recorded by K,R & Wes Jacobs
for RCA .

^^Oh, I fear I have given the impression of doubting your memory.
No such impression is intended. My linking to the Carpenter fansite is merely intended to
provide Richard Carpenters' response to a fan's question. As, I have no information
of my own to offer ! Richard writes as if he wrote the song, The Reply, specifically for Akiko.
I certainly did not mean to infer that you were " wrong on this one."
:)

Yeah, yeah. No worries. I understood what you meant. I was just saying for my own edification that this is a memory I specifically and directly remember. In fact, I remember where I was living at the time, and the record store that had a small promotional packet (really just one sheet) that had a track (or is it tract?) listing that had "The Reply" on it.

There are some of us who will disagree with you.

myself being one :)
whilst I don`t like every track, there are more I do than don`t, so even back then, I would have been happy with the purchase.
I think this album is compared too much to their carpenters stuff myself. people have been quoted as saying that the range is too high for her in a lot of the tracks, but perhaps that`s the point, she wanted to do something different that reflected her, rather than the carpenters stuff.
personally, I admire her for doing it, would the album have done any good back then, who knows, but I think it should have been consumers and fan` to decide, not the guys who put her off releasing it. ok, they all say it was her who shelved it and that may well be right, but that decision was based on what was said to in my opinion!

Another reason why I fervently hope that all songs featuring Karen and/or Richard on vocals will someday be released is not just my appreciation for their voices but that their tunes, both separately and together, are always backed by top-flight arrangements and musicianship.

Speaking of unreleased, has anyone ever heard the song
I've Never Been In Love Before.
CFC Newsletter #47 (Feb 1976) mentions that that song was recorded by K,R & Wes Jacobs
for RCA .
Must’ve been part of the same sessions that produced “Iced Tea”.

If there are any unreleased tracks let them be burned! Haha That album was a total dog.

I agree. Dog through and through. He didn’t seem to have a clue what worked for him and that he wasn’t ever cut out for Pop. As far as I know, it’s the worst seller in A&M history so we aren’t alone by any means in our opinion.

I am, however, glad that some have found enjoyment in it. Shame that I can’t.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom