• Two exciting new Carpenters releases are in the pipeline! The new book Carpenters: The Musical Legacy will be available on November 16, 2021 and can be ordered here. A big thanks to the authors and Richard Carpenter for their tremendous effort in compiling this book! Also, the new solo piano album Richard Carpenter's Piano Songbook is being released January 14, 2022, and is available for ordering here.

Anyone here like NFL football as much as Carpenters music? Like I do?

Without A Song

I just wrote a book soon to be published about my travels to 500-plus NFL games. While the book is focused on football, I made sure to get a plug in for my favorite music act of all time. It was an easy transition. Richard's 32nd birthday took place on the same day I saw my childhood idol Bob Griese play in person as he led the Miami Dolphins to a 28-21 victory over the San Diego Chargers on Oct. 15, 1978. It was only my second NFL game; now I've seen 555 of them.

Here's what I wrote about Karen and Richard. Looking back on it, I wish I had been much more effusive in my praise. Then again, I was lucky to get in what I did. The publisher didn't want it included. But I'll always stand my ground when it comes to Karen and Richard's music. On the back of the book I describe myself as an avid Carpenters fan.

"Looking back on that day, I can't help but notice a couple of interesting things about it. Like how the game took place on the 32nd birthday of a future idol of mine, this one musical in nature: singer-songwriter Richard Carpenter. The music he made with his sister Karen is some of the most memorable I'll ever hear."

Portlander

Not only the NFL, but I am also an avid follower of MLB and the NBA. While you were cheering for your childhood idol in 1978, I was doing the same for Fran Tarkenton who was mine and playing in his final year prior to Tommy Kramer taking over. Matt Ryan is my favorite QB nowadays and I still have the curse of not winning a Super Bowl as I did during all those years with the Vikings. Being a New Englander, I should have jumped on the Patriots bandwagon after Brady took over for an injured Drew Bledsoe! Good luck with your new book and thanks for giving well deserved praise to Richard and showing your loyalty to the Carpenters on the back cover.

Without A Song

Thanks, Portlander. Here's a fun fact about Griese and Tarkenton: They were both born on Feb. 3, Tarkenton in 1940, Griese in 1945. It was the first and possibly only time that two starting QBs in a Super Bowl shared the same birthday.

Top Bottom