Anyone planning on going to a concert?

DeeInKY

Just asking because there seems to be a good number of shows on the schedule now, and I just scored 2nd row tickets for Cincinnati. :goodie:

I plan on going. I hope he comes back to new England boston or here in new Hampshire. I would love the xfinity music hall again awsome venue well worth the 3 hours drive,

I wish Herb and Lani would come to cleveland ohio for those tri c jazz fests at our local colleges on the west side of cleveland

Herb's touring again?

I was saving up for another concert this summer (Depeche Mode), but at nearly $250 per seat, that maaay not happen. :D I have a classical concert in Grand Rapids to attend in May but I'm not planning on any more this year.

I have to say the ticket prices are very reasonable. I paid more for one ticket to see Springsteen a couple years ago than for these two.

I've wanted to see Herb for 50 years and it has just never worked out for me before. I figure now is the time. :D

Wow! Looks like a terrific summer here in San Diego! The San Diego Symphony Orchestra's Bayside nights will feature Herb on July 6, Sergio on August 6! Plus a lot of other artists (Tony Bennett, Ozomatli, Dr. John, Boz Scaggs, The Commodores, and Latin Jazz Superstars).

Over at Humphrey's by the Bay (there's a few A&M connections here) we have Steely Dan, Willie Nelson, David Crosby, Brian Setzer, Sheryl Crow, Diane Schuur, Taj Mahal, King Crimson, Gordon Lightfoot, The Temptations, Chris Isaak, Huey Lewis, Diane Krall, The remains of the Turtles, the remains of The Monkees (Dolenz and Co.), Bryan Ferry, America, Doobie Bros, Dave Koz, Pink Martini, George Benson & Kenny G, Indigo Girls, and the Beach Boys!

--Mr Bill

Concerts have gotten so outrageously priced in most cases, that I don't even bother watching for tickets most of the time. Those Depeche Mode tix will eat into my concert budget for about five years. :laugh:

This summer, I found out that Mrs. Elvis Costello Diana Krall is appearing in Ann Arbor in early June, and Jean-Luc Ponty is doing a limited set of gigs this summer entitled "The Atlantic Years" featuring a band made of some of his bandmates from that era: Jamie Glaser, guitars - Wally Minko, keyboards - Baron Browne, bass - Rayford Griffin, drums. I would presume the set list would feature his 70s output.

While it's not happening in this country, Ponty is also doing a trio gig with guitarist Bireli Lagrene, and bassist Kyle Eastwood--that is one I'd really like to catch (I am a fan of all three), but the airline tickets to France would be a bit prohibitive. :D

Random thought - the Turtles and Monkees remnants could get together as the Zoo. Flo and Eddie and Mickey (unless Flo is still going by The Phlorescent Leech). :biglaugh:

It's late. I'm getting silly. :nut:

Still think he would do well at the Bass Hall here in Fort Worth. Pretty good acoustics, as I know for which Mr Alpert is keen.

Wow! Just got back from tonight's show. I am just so happy right now. :agree:We were in the pit and I'd say we were less than 10 feet from Herb.
Excellent! First time seeing Herb?

My wife, Rita, and I drove four hours from Evansville, Indiana to see Herb and Lani and the band in Cincy last night.
What a thrill! He was my first favorite musician. I started loving his music around the time of "A Tasted Of Honey" in 1965. I was in 4th grade at that time. The following year I was playing cornet in beginner band in school (they said I had to start on cornet rather than trumpet) so that I could be like Herb. I've purchased every album he's ever made (excluding a couple of the compilation albums) - many on vinyl, many on cd, multiple copies of most of them. I have all of the HA cds on the Shout! Factory label. I now have all but three on the HAP label. So, I'm a big lifelong fan. But, I've never seen him in concert. And to be honest, I never expected to see him in concert because he doesn't often perform in this part of the country.

Until last night in Cincy! What an incredible performance by all five musicians! Our seats were almost dead center in the 3rd row. Two rows of folding chairs were set up between the stage and the first row of fixed seating, so that put us in the 5th row. The view and sound were awesome!

I'm not typically a big autograph seeker. But, this was not a typical show for me. So, I decided to go prepared. I took a mint copy of the "Warm" lp cover. I also took a cd cover for the Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 album "Look Around" which contains the hit song "The Look Of Love" on which Lani sang. I have the "Anything Goes" and "I Feel You" cds, but those cd covers are comprised of darker colors and an autograph wouldn't show up so well. The "Look Around" cd cover is much lighter in color, which is why I opted to take it instead.

I got Herb's autograph on the "Warm" lp cover. I got Lani's autograph on the "Look Around" cd cover. I got to shake Herb's hand. Herb asked where I was from. He told Lani that Rita and I drove four hours to the concert, and they both seemed impressed and grateful for that. They could not have been more gracious. I got to shake hands with Bill Cantos and Hussain Jiffry. My wife and I got a photo with Herb and Lani. My wife took a photo of Hussain and myself. I am a bass player, and got to talk bass talk with Hussain for a bit.

When my time with Herb ended I made the comment that I can die now. One of the Taft Theatre staff members standing nearby told me, "Oh please, don't do that."

So, I'm gushing a bit. I've had the opportunity to meet a handful of other stars. But, last night was a thrill like no other for me.

I do not see a way to upload photos to this forum. Otherwise, I would share the photo of my wife and I with Herb and Lani, as well as the photo of Hussain and me. I am on FB ("Mark Thurman") and those photos are posted there if you're interested.

@Ronnie Madrid - you're braver than I was. We tried to figure out a way to score a meeting, but decided that just being there was so good that we would just leave it at that. :uhhuh: We were in the folding chairs - second row but there were two empty chairs in front of us. We were right in front of Herb and only a couple feet from the edge of the stage. Seemed like everyone there was having a wonderful time. We were keeping time and bopping around to the music. There were some folks sitting completely still. I don't know how they managed that.

@Ronnie Madrid - you're braver than I was. We tried to figure out a way to score a meeting, but decided that just being there was so good that we would just leave it at that. :uhhuh: We were in the folding chairs - second row but there were two empty chairs in front of us. We were right in front of Herb and only a couple feet from the edge of the stage. Seemed like everyone there was having a wonderful time. We were keeping time and bopping around to the music. There were some folks sitting completely still. I don't know how they managed that.
I'm not usually one to make such a dastardly attempt to meet someone. You certainly had wonderful seats! My seat was directly in front of Lani's mic stand, five rows backs. It was an unforgettable experience for both of us!

I shot some video of the Cincy concert from the 5th row with my iPhone. I have a video of the stage entrance and first song, which is 637 MB. I have a video of Herb's hits medley, which is 754 MB. I have some other videos from this concert as well. I've never posted concert videos on YouTube. I know that some people do, but it appears to me that doing so is asking for trouble if you don't have permission to do so from the artist. I do not want to do anything wrong in terms of sharing any of these videos. But, at the same time, if Dee (who was sitting on the 2nd row at this concert) or a handful of other big fans on this forum wanted to see them, I wouldn't be opposed to sharing them. I just don't want them to be shared in a way that would lead to a problem. Have people on this forum ever shared concert videos with each other in the past?

In terms of the actual sharing, since these are very large files, they are too big to be sent by regular e-mail. I found an app earlier this evening called WeTransfer, which allows me to send these large files. It takes about 2 to 3 hours to upload each individual file. WeTransfer asks me for my email address and also the email address(es) of the recipient(s). Then, if I understand it correctly, once the upload is completed, the recipient(s) receive(s) a link via email message that allows access to the files for a seven-day period. I'm guessing that the recipient(s) can download the file(s) to their hard drives if desired.

So, is sharing files such as this with others on this forum a good thing or a bad thing?

Videos can be uploaded to YouTube as "private," to where they are not visible to anyone except those who have been given the direct link to the video to view it. It will never show up in their search results.

Vimeo has a way to password-protect videos.

I would suggest sharing these links only privately (through private conversations here, for instance). We have had issues with public posting of videos in the past, from the BBC's legal department sending nasty emails, to members who steal the videos and repost them on social media.

Videos can be uploaded to YouTube as "private," to where they are not visible to anyone except those who have been given the direct link to the video to view it. It will never show up in their search results.

Vimeo has a way to password-protect videos.

I would suggest sharing these links only privately (through private conversations here, for instance). We have had issues with public posting of videos in the past, from the BBC's legal department sending nasty emails, to members who steal the videos and repost them on social media.
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestion, Rudy!

I've never utilized the Conversations feature of this forum. But, I would reply to anyone who initiates a conversation with me.

Thanks again!

Just learned that Herb & Lani are planning to perform in Nashville, TN! The date -- Sept. 26 -- at City Winery is exactly 8 years since I first saw them. That was in Brookfield, WI, west of Milwaukee. The following day I saw them again in Naperville, IL. Got my photo taken with both and some album covers signed. Also met the terrific supporting musicians, who were surprised at how far I had traveled. My daughter was attending college in Chicago at the time. The Nashville date is, to my knowledge, the first time Herb's been in Music City since his art exhibit was on display there several years ago. Glad to hear they're heading South.

JB

Back
Top Bottom