1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Anyone read this?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ullalume, Jan 21, 2014.

1. leadmister

leadmister Well-Known Member

The very definition of art: Expressing pain and embodying it in a way that is beautiful and pierces through your soul.

2. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

The 8 Best Celebrity Holiday Specials Ever...
    #5) The Perry Como Christmas Show (1974)
    "While this particular special is from 1974, Perry Como did notable Christmas TV specials for decades.
    His 1953 special aired in black-and-white on Christmas evening and is almost entirely one tight shot of him singing
    and reading to children sitting at his feet. Over the years his specials evolved alongside television itself, and the
    1974 special is colorful in more ways than one. He welcomes The Carpenters as musical guests and has Peggy Fleming do an ice skating routine. (This is a trend in holiday specials of a certain era: The host takes a break from the action to spotlight a famous figure skater on a rink that, we are left to assume, has always simply existed on the host’s property.)"

Source:
    www.marieclaire.com/culture/a25347263/best-celebrity-holiday-specials/

no1kandrfan and Carpe diem like this.
  3. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

The Carpenters hit that list twice with The Carpenters At Christmas (1977) at #7.

leadmister likes this.
  4. Carpe diem

Carpe diem Well-Known Member

Such a great program; Karen singing It's Impossible, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, and her reaction to Perry singing Yesterday Once More are "priceless". I don't think she ever looked more beautiful. You can't blame Perry for stealing a kiss from her at the end!

leadmister likes this.
  5. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

And if memory serves me correctly she kissed him right on the lips!

no1kandrfan likes this.
  6. leadmister

You could tell there was a great deal of admiration there, the way she looked at Perry the whole time they were doing their duets together.

7. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

I’ll always remember watching the Perry Como special for the first time on CBS. It was such a rare treat to see Carpenters on TV at the time, and it was aired about a week before Christmas. I had bought a BASF cassette audio tape to capture the sound with mic propped up to the TV speaker.

The tree and decorations in the family room were all lit up, and I was getting to see Karen on TV. I was 12 years old and in pure heaven.

You had one shot to see the show in those days and that was it! Still have the audio tape and it still sounds good. Anyway, I loved every second of it and still do today. Karen never looked or sounded better and they really stole the show.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    goodjeans, GaryAlan and no1kandrfan like this.
  8. newvillefan

Absolutely agree with this - the best she ever looked.

Greg, goodjeans and GaryAlan like this.
  9. GaryAlan

Not only did Karen look fantastic, I believe her voice,
    from late 1974 to early 1975
    was at an unparalleled richness.
    Listening to Horizon, or Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again,
    reveals such an unparalleled depth to her voice-- at that point in time.
    I watched the Como Special a few nights ago and still loved the entire Special.

Greg, goodjeans and newvillefan like this.
  10. newvillefan

How that track lost out to some of the other ballads included on Horizon is beyond me.

11. leadmister

I don't get it either. That track blows me away every time, and I get goosebumps every time I hear that page turn and am reminded that this was an unrehearsed sight reading.

newvillefan likes this.
  12. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Well-Known Member

Well it was lost because someone forgot to label the tape, so the only song that was thought to be on that tape was “Only Yesterday”.

13. Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Rick-An Ordinary Fool Well-Known Member

FL
    I absolutely adore the little bit of strings that we get on this track. Every time I get to that part I immediately hit the backward button to start the song again because I wanna hear it over and over. It would have made a fantastic track for the RPO.

14. Mark-T

Mark-T Well-Known Member

I"m in the minority, but I'm glad Tryin' didn't replace a different track on Horizon.

leadmister likes this.
  15. leadmister

Agreed. It would be hard to imagine Horizon being anything different than what it is. I just wish there was some way to have released it as a single, if nothing else. I believe it would have gone over HUGE.

goodjeans likes this.
  16. GaryAlan

Buddy Holly to The Beach Boys: The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    bring hits with strings attached. "The RPO is the hottest chart act in the country,
    outselling Stormzy and Rita Ora, with new orchestrations added to rock legend vocals..."
    "Carpenters, next. This week The Carpenters get the Royal treatment with Richard Carpenter
    creating fresh orchestral arrangements, recorded at Abbey Road, for sister Karen’s voice."
    "Carpenters Close to You ‘improved,’ Richard Carpenter said the updated versions improved on the duo’s original recordings of their timeless songs. "Close to You" called for a sparse string arrangement," he said.
    "In the second and third verses, it sounded a bit thin, because there are only 10 violins playing it.
    Now, we’ve quadrupled that. It’s the same line, but it’s richer, because there are so many more players."

Source:
    https://inews.co.uk/culture/buddy-h...c-orchestra-bring-hits-with-strings-attached/