1. The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available for preorder! Use this link to preorder, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

Anyone read this?

Discussion in 'A Song For You: The Carpenters Forum' started by ullalume, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about the music video by
    Red Kross, Yesterday Once More (1994, IIWAC),
    until I read this article:

" downey is named after the Southern California city where Nogueiras spent most of his childhood.
    “It’s a good representation of where I come from, and it’s nostalgic for certain elements of the past
    while still being sad about them,” Nogueiras explains in a statement.
    The new album isn’t entirely about reflecting on days gone by, however, as it also features a healthy
    dose of hope for the future and new life chapters."
    ----
    "Red Kross performing The Carpenters! There are a bunch of very cool, very 1994 shots in this video
    that play with gravity and an apparently endlessly rotating camera. "

If interested, watch the video Here:
    NO WIN announce debut album, downey, detail Origins of new song “Vision”: Stream

2. newvillefan

newvillefan Well-Known Member

Glenn Berger is referenced in this article and a forum member mentioned on another thread that he was an engineer on Karen’s solo album. His name didn’t ring a bell to me but he’s listed in the liner notes on her album and he’s also been a record producer. This comment stood out to me:

Berger agreed the disco tracks were terrible but said that Simon's 'insensitivity was stunning.'”

Paul Simon's former producer claimed he bullied anorexic Karen Carpenter | Daily Mail Online

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. ullalume

ullalume Well-Known Member Thread Starter

nehhh. Daily Mail innit. . .tory tosh.

4. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

I would like to think they are referencing more of the unrealesed like Truly You, Keep The Lovelight Burning, Don’t Try To Win Me Back Again, which I feel should never be heard and left off for good reason. The ones that have been released along with Love Making Love To You are quite good. From the solo work, the light Jazz, rhythm and blues numbers are actually very good and among the best: I Guess I Just Lost My Head, Still Crazy After All These Years, Last One Singing The Blues, I Have You, If We Try, and Make Believe It’s Your First Time. I feel if they focused more on these styles, it would have fit better into the Carpenters canon. With what they had, if they lowered the key to Jimmy Mack, and added only Love Makin Love To You and My Body Keeps Changing My Mind, and Love In the Afternoon that these ten songs are the strongest songs and would have made a better product. However, the last few were sexual for this period of music and could have hurt record sales, so I can see why A&M gave feedback to this direction. The album was ahead of its time in many ways. Today, these songs are very mild in sexual tone.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Geographer likes this.
  5. GaryAlan

GaryAlan Well-Known Member

^^ I agree with the line, above:
    "The album was ahead of its time in many ways."

AnnaSock likes this.
  6. AnnaSock

AnnaSock Member

UK
    Me too!

7. A&M Retro

A&M Retro Well-Known Member

Me, three! There’s a lot of very interesting things happening on that album both vocally and instrumentally. The arrangements were right on the money and several tracks were outstanding. It was ultimately shelved due to A&M’s loyalty to Carpenters as a unit. Karen’s efforts and feelings towards the project were unfairly glossed over, and off they went to ABC to dive into ‘Music, Music, Music’. And then another full YEAR of no new releases after the special aired. Truly unwise decision on A&M’s part.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    AnnaSock, Kacfan, Carpe diem and 2 others like this.
  8. newvillefan

A heads up for UK fans that the dramatised documentary Karen Carpenter: Goodbye To Love is airing again this Friday on Channel 5 at 10pm.

AnnaSock and Sue like this.
  9. CraigGA

CraigGA Well-Known Member

Who knows about the dramatic presentation being accurate, but it’s nice to see the Carpenters in action. All of these documentaries keep us hoping for a possible alternate ending.

10. Portlander

Portlander Active Member

There was some entertainment value to the documentary and it's great to see the Carpenters getting attention again. Royalty fees/permission must have led to the very limited the amount of Carpenter recordings played throughout the feature. Karen's documented angry confrontation with Richard in the mall parking lot with their Jags was changed to the recording studio with Karen pounding on the glass to get Richard's attention. Agnes and Tom Burris were portrayed in a very poor light and the writers were not very kind to Richard either.

newvillefan likes this.
  11. newvillefan

Given that the producer knew their story well, I’m surprised they didn’t just go with a re-enactment of that actual scene. The banging on the window scene came across as false to me.

Portlander likes this.
  12. Portlander

Portlander Active Member

^ Agree, they also portrayed Herb Alpert in a non complimentary way in my opinion. Was also surprised to see no clips or interviews from their band members, Olivia Newton John or John Bettis. Would have been nice if the producers added some facts concerning their legacy such as the amount of records sold, their Grammy and American Music Awards, 20 Top 40 singles, 15 #1 AC hits and recognition as the top American born recording artists of the 70's to name just a few!