Anyone read this?

In the event that this may be of some interest here:
From Japan Oricon Music Charts:sad:Source Japanese Charts on ukmix.org)
CD-singles release dates and copies sold
I Need to Be in Love (released 1995) (542,050)
Top of the World(released 1996) (11,070)
The Rainbow Connection (released 2001) (14,170)
CD-dates and copies sold
Yesterday Once More (Reissue 1993) (273,270)
Yesterday Once More (Reissue 1994) (320,490)
The Best of (22 Hits of the Carpenters) (2,300,834)
The Best of (22 Hits of the Carpenters) (1997 limited edition) (16,130)
The Best of (22 Hits of the Carpenters) (Reissue 1999) (9,110)
The Best of (22 Hits of the Carpenters) (Reissue 2003 with DVD) (11,185)
As Time Goes By (74,210)Carpenters Gold (55,212)
Carpenters Gold (Reissue 2005) (798)
40/40 (113,802)
Carpenters 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition (15CDs+DVD) (660)
The Singles: 1969–1981 (Reissue 2010) (16,476)
The Singles: 1969–1981 (Reissue 2012) (6,944)
[LP] 1974/10/25 GEM III[Japan Only] # 13 , 29 weeks, 98,660
[LP] 1975/10/05 GEM IV[Japan Only] # 16 , 28 weeks, 91,550
[LP] 1976/10/25 GEM V[Japan Only] # 42 , 22 weeks, 37,920

CD-singles release dates and copies sold
I Need to Be in Love (released 1995) (542,050)

Wow! This really was one popular single with the Japanese record buying public wasn't it?! This has sold almost as well as some of the lesser selling Carpenters studio albums :laugh:

While channel-surfing recently, I heard Karen's name on the TV. It was on a show called "Braxton Family Values", and one of Toni Braxton's sisters was releasing a Christmas album and making reference to our favorite duo. The guy had no idea who she was talking about, although she was praising them. I found the link to the episode, the mention is from 20:00-22:15, although she refers to them once as "Karen and her brother Carpenter"....!

She apparently recorded "Merry Christmas, Darling....here's a "Who Sings it Best" article with video links....

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2013/12/merry_christmas_darling_who_si.html

"Steven Van Zandt, like any music lover, finds a lot to be surprised or even offended by in the rankings, and Rolling Stone
was good enough to just let him run with it.
The point he seemed most genuinely troubled by was how The Carpenters managed to slip into the top 200. It must seem a cruel twist of fate that the group would fare so well in a survey administered by Rolling Stone,
once the paper of record for the counter-cultural ethos The Carpenters were so obviously hostile toward."

I for one, find the assertion "...obviously hostile toward" without merit.
Richard, more than once, emphasized his many musical tastes and his appreciation for rock music (Zappa, for instance).

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say Rolling Stone was "obviously hostile toward" the Carpenters?

The aforementioned article (from that author Van Zandt for Rolling Stone) is trying to stake the claim
that the Carpenters were "obviously hostile" toward rock music. But, absolutely, I believe Rolling Stone guilty of that very charge!
So, Jeff you "hit the nail on the head"!
Which gives one pause, how did they get to be "on the cover of the Rolling Stone" .
Somebody thought something of them, as of July 1974!

...But, absolutely, I believe Rolling Stone guilty of that very charge!...Which gives one pause, how did they get to be "on the cover of the Rolling Stone" .
Does anyone here know if Rolling Stone has a mission statement or similar? I'd love to know the exact wording. Therein may lie the answer as to whether Carpenters deserve any place in this particular musical institution.

Rolling Stone also did NO write-up on Karen's death in 1983. That was the ultimate slap in the face. They did print a small blurb saying she had passed, and that there would be a full article in the next issue. Nothing ever surfaced.

That aside, they DID make the cover in 1974, and the article was an excellent one that 'read' Karen better than any other at the time. So, I guess we need to take the good with the bad.

The truth is Jann Wenner and most of the writers of RS are so concerned with being hip and relevant that they end up spending most of their time on planet Ur-anus.

The aforementioned article (from that author Van Zandt for Rolling Stone) is trying to stake the claim
that the Carpenters were "obviously hostile" toward rock music. But, absolutely, I believe Rolling Stone guilty of that very charge!
So, Jeff you "hit the nail on the head"!
Which gives one pause, how did they get to be "on the cover of the Rolling Stone" .
Somebody thought something of them, as of July 1974!
I don't know that K&R were necessarily "hostile" toward rock music-but I did read some information(can't confirm where) that Karen was upset when A&M started signing alot of rock-oriented artists to the label in the late 70's,and she apparently voiced her displeasure about it to A&M. What started out as a jazz/easy-listening boutique label was morphing into a predominantly pop/rock major label.

I remember the article suggesting that other veteran A&M artists weren't happy about it ,either. And,curiously,it was right around that time that several artists left the label:Captain & Tennille,Gato Barbieri,Gino Vanelli & others.

As far as their personal music collections,Karen had no interest in Rock- and Richard interest in Rock was limited.

http://www.mpacorn.com/news/2014-04-10/Community/Oaks_Christian_gala_brings_in_big_bucks.html
Here is another news article reporting Richard Carpenter's activities for education:
"The evening was titled “We’ve Just Begun,” and the entertainment included a performance
by OCS parent Richard Carpenter— half of the 1970s Grammywinning duo, The Carpenters—
who played his hit song, “We’ve Only Just Begun” on piano while student Garianna Geiselman sang the vocals"

http://www.mpacorn.com/news/2014-04-10/Community/Oaks_Christian_gala_brings_in_big_bucks.html
Here is another news article reporting Richard Carpenter's activities for education:
"The evening was titled “We’ve Just Begun,” and the entertainment included a performance
by OCS parent Richard Carpenter— half of the 1970s Grammywinning duo, The Carpenters—
who played his hit song, “We’ve Only Just Begun” on piano while student Garianna Geiselman sang the vocals"
I think that's the school Taylor Carpenter attends. She must not be interested in singing publicly like Mindi. :)

This is from the uk (thehindu.com entitled:Lured by Classics April 14,2014):
UK-based singer Melinda James talks about her love for music and performing in India
It was Karen Carpenter’s voice that inspired her to pursue singing. Today, with over a decade’s experience of singing at various hotels and cruises across the world, Melinda James still likes to croon Carpenters’ numbers. Over the next three months, the singer will perform at Taj Krishna with a selection of some classics.
The singer who had worked in Mumbai for eight months is happy to be back in India after a gap of four years. “India’s probably my favourite place to work in. There’s something about this country; it’s probably got to do with the fact that the people are really nice and there’s a nice feel to this place. I would say that my earlier stint in Mumbai prompted me to come back to India and this time to experience a new city,” she smiles, adding that the while her first visit to India did come as a culture shock, now she is more used to it.
She has been in the city for about a month now and is looking forward to catching some tourist attractions soon. “I’m settled in now and would like to experience the real Hyderabad.”
Melinda, who will perform at Seasons bar every night from Tuesday to Saturday and during brunch on Sundays, will croon covers from popular bands like Carpenters, Abba, Beatles etc. “I also like to sing Carole King, Norah Jones. I sing covers and although I have written a couple of songs it is not where I want to go. I’m happier singing covers,” she admits.
“As a kid I was learning dancing. But when I heard songs by Carpenters I was hooked. Since the age of 13 singing took over dancing for me. I had some music lessons when I was younger and then went to a performing arts college before joining a music school,” she elaborates . As a established singer, Melinda has been on the move constantly, performing in countries like Japan, Cyprus, Turkey and Spain, apart from a lot of cruises. “That is also the best part about my job; I get to travel a lot and experience different cultures. The only downside to this is that I have to stay away from my family a lot,” sighs the UK-based singer.

Just re-read the "when i was 16" interview above. Makes me appreciate Karen's perspective. I think she did have moments of happiness. It think she got pleasure out of making others happy. I think it was meaningful for her. Been listening to flat baroque and heather recently. Love the early stuff that sometimes gets forgotten.

This musicologist has written a book, here is his view on Karen Carpenter:
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/ucla-musicologist-defends-singers-246459

I:You extensively analyze Karen Carpenter, but if you had to describe the essence of her appeal, what would it be?

She had a beautiful voice, and she was an incredibly talented singer. That, we can just stipulate. But what was really interesting is how her voice was positioned within the envelope of the sound. She was miked very close. You don’t hear just pitches. You hear all of the noise produced when the mechanics of your face work to make sound. You hear breaths. You hear those weird little noises that the mouth makes when it’s just trying to form words. There are only two contexts in which you hear those sounds -- during nurturing when you’re a child and during physical intimacy. That’s the only time that people’s mouths are that close to your ear. So, in effect, every Karen Carpenter performance is a profoundly intimate kind of thing.

Here is a 2002 Press Release:

Entertainment Editors & Music/Retail Writers

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 23, 2002

Musical honesty was the not-so-secret ingredient which made the Carpenters one of the most beloved and successful artists of the Baby Boomer generation -- and beyond. Brother and sister Richard and Karen delivered songs that directly and simply connected to every listener. It is that same personal connection that separates several other "best of" compilations from "The Best Of Carpenters" edition of "20th Century Masters/The Millennium Collection" (A&M/UME), released September 17, 2002.
Produced and compiled by Richard Carpenter, the 12 digitally remastered selections on "The Best Of Carpenters" represent his choices as to the duo's best, regardless of sales figures, critical acclaim, radio popularity or fan favoritism. The result is a unique, and very personal, tracklisting.
Three of the duo's 10 gold singles are included: "Yesterday Once More" (#2, from the 1973 album "Now And Then"), their cover of "Please Mr. Postman" (#1, from the 1975 album "Horizon") and "Top Of The World" (#1, from the 1972 album "A Song For You"). Also heard are two of their other nine pop Top 10s: "Only Yesterday" (#4, from "Horizon") and "Goodbye To Love," which features one of the first fuzz guitar solos ever recorded for a ballad (#7, from "A Song For You").
The remaining selections are less obvious and thus more intriguing. Also taken from "Close To You" are "Love Is Surrender" and "Maybe It's You." Culled as well from "A Song For You" is the Oscar-nominated movie theme "Bless The Beast And The Children." Another track from "Now And Then" is a cover of Leon Russell's "This Masquerade." Carpenter also chose "I Just Fall In Love Again" (from 1977's "Passage") and the hit "I Believe You" (heard on the 1981 album "Made In America").
A lower Top 40 charter on "The Best Of Carpenters" is "I Need To Be In Love" (from 1976's "A Kind Of Hush"). Nineteen years later, and a dozen years after Karen's passing, "I Need To Be In Love" was a hit once more, in Japan after being featured there in a 1995 TV series. It was proof again of the timelessness of the Carpenters' sound, sentiment and sincerity.
Putting aside three Grammy Awards, commercial success (more than 100 million records sold worldwide) and significance (the Carpenters helped usher in the adult contemporary genre), "The Best Of Carpenters" spotlights what Richard Carpenter considers their personal best.

The series "20th Century Masters/The Millennium Collection" features new "best of" albums from the most significant music artists of the past century.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Business Wire

From the Fan Club Newsletter#75, June 1982
A favored quote of Karen and Richard's (by Edwin Markham):
"There is a destiny which makes us brothers,
None goes on his way alone,
All that we send into the lives of others,
Comes back into our own."

Noticed a newly published book (April 2014):
Women Drummers: A History from Rock and Jazz to Blues and Country
by Angela Smith (Author)
Karen Carpenter is the subject of Chapter 12 :Awesome Time Two
"The idea for the book was inspired by my editor, who reminded me of the too often ignored drumming skills of Karen Carpenter."

Huffington Post mentions Carpenters,today (5/13/21014):
(partial)"The beautifully written Roger Nichols and Paul Williams song, We've Only Just Begun, was made famous in the early 1970s by brother-sister act, The Carpenters. And even though the song had originally been written as a jingle for a bank (Paul Williams sang it for the jingle), it was Richard Carpenter's inspired arrangement and Karen Carpenter's velvet voice that turned that song into a timeless classic. Today it is still one of the most revered wedding songs, usually played sometime during the ceremony, or as the wedding couple shares their first dance."

Complete Story:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tricia-spencer/unusual-musical-instrumen_b_5317954.html

This week itunes:
Carpenters Worldwide iTunes Performance | Last update: 2014-05-14
Carpenters: Gold - Greatest Hits
#39 Philippines
#64 Paraguay
#122 Singapore
#134 Cambodia
#139 Taiwan
#144 Vietnam
#154 Hong Kong
#166 Malaysia
#184 Ireland
#189 Sri Lanka
#258 Japan
#265 Thailand
#268 United Arab Emirates
#272 United Kingdom
#296 Zimbabwe
#326 Cape Verde
#352 Barbados
#355 Argentina
#360 New Zealand
#386 India

This musicologist has written a book, here is his view on Karen Carpenter:
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/ucla-musicologist-defends-singers-246459

I:You extensively analyze Karen Carpenter, but if you had to describe the essence of her appeal, what would it be?

She had a beautiful voice, and she was an incredibly talented singer. That, we can just stipulate. But what was really interesting is how her voice was positioned within the envelope of the sound. She was miked very close. You don’t hear just pitches. You hear all of the noise produced when the mechanics of your face work to make sound. You hear breaths. You hear those weird little noises that the mouth makes when it’s just trying to form words. There are only two contexts in which you hear those sounds -- during nurturing when you’re a child and during physical intimacy. That’s the only time that people’s mouths are that close to your ear. So, in effect, every Karen Carpenter performance is a profoundly intimate kind of thing.

Thank you for sharing this, Gary! I've tried to describe this before and fell so short in doing so. This is perfect! No wonder we all sit gah gah eared when we listen...each time!

I love when science supports evidence. For years, like I said, I have tried to explain to others why she was so good. The obvious was her voice. The science was the fact that she sang on top of the mike and inadvertently created this intimate musical experience every time someone listens.

Love it!!!

Transcript of interview with Herb Alpert: http://www.wnyc.org/story/193354-herb-alpert/transcript/

"Herb Alpert:When I signed the Carpenters in 1970, they had an album that didn’t sell. I mean, the first album was zero.
Alec Baldwin: Describe the first album. Why was it zero? Was it too reliant on Richard Carpenter?
Herb Alpert: No. It had Karen but it was very soft. It was very delicate. It wasn’t really radio-friendly.'
Alec Baldwin: Got it.
Herb Alpert: So a year later, I gave them "Close To You." They recorded it and it was really light again. I said, 'We need a little bit more energy on this one.' Karen thought she was a drummer, and she played drums and she was good. But she wanted to record and when I listened to the recording I said, 'No. It’s a little too light. We need some more oomph.' They recorded it again and it still wasn’t quite there, so finally we got the Wrecking Crew. I don’t know if you know that name. Those are the guys that did most of the sessions in L.A. – Hal Blaine on drums, Tommy Tedesco on guitar, and Carol Kaye. The third recording was the charm."

Back
Top Bottom