Anyone read this?

This kind of press is what made some of us shyer fans become closet fans, in our teens. Being fans of Carpenters, ABBA, ONJ, etc just wasn't cool. I didn't care about cool, I actually cared about good music (not shock music), so I listened to good music. But I wasn't going to ask for bullying. :cool:

As all are aware, Karen Carpenter had intended to help others to overcome Anorexia.
Below I have included a link, with graphs and details, showing increased awareness and funding, since 1983.
Then follows a newer research note from 2002.
Proof, if any were needed, that Karen Carpenter has saved countless lives.
http://edbites.com/2013/02/weve-only-just-begun-30-years-of-ed-after-karen-carpenter/

A genetic link to anorexia
(Source: http://www.apa.org/monitor/mar02/genetic.aspx)

Groundbreaking research supports the theory that anorexia is more than a psychosocial illness: genes are likely responsible, too
By Tori DeAngelis
March 2002, Vol 33, No. 3

Researchers have discovered biological evidence of a genetic underpinning to anorexia nervosa: genetic linkage on chromosome 1 for the complex psychiatric disorder.
"This is the first genetic linkage finding we have in anorexia, so we're quite excited," notes the study's first author, Dorothy Grice, MD, of the University of Pennsylvania's department of psychiatry and Center for Neurobiology and Behavior.
Linkage refers to the greater-than-chance likelihood that two separate DNA sequences will be close to one another on the same chromosome, supplying biological evidence for a genetic trait if seen among two or more family members.
The findings, reported in this month's issue of the American Journal of Human Genetics, support data from twin and family studies suggesting that biology does indeed account, at least in part, for the disorder.
The findings add a new dimension to a field that has posited mainly psychological, family and sociocultural roots to the disorder, notes University of Pittsburgh psychiatrist Walter Kaye, MD, who heads the large international multisite project on the genetics of eating disorders, of which the study is a part.
"Anorexia and bulimia are considered disorders that are psychosocial in origin," Kaye says. "Recently, there's been accumulating evidence for contributory biological, family and genetic components. I suspect we're going down the path we did with schizophrenia and autism 20 years ago"--that is, that anorexia, like these other psychiatric disorders, appears to have genetic susceptibilities.
It's likely that several genes predispose people to the disorder, points out Cynthia Bulik, PhD, a Virginia Commonwealth University psychologist who is a leading investigator of eating disorders. She and other researchers hope the finding will lead to new treatments for the condition, which although it has a low incidence in the general population, has the highest mortality rate of any mental health disorder.
A GENETIC PREDISPOSITION
Using genetic linkage analysis, the study compared DNA samples of people suffering from anorexia nervosa with those of family members who also have an eating disorder, noting where on a person's "genetic map" certain genetic markers aggregated.
In a first round of the study, the team analyzed DNA of individuals from 192 family groupings. At least one of the family members had to have a diagnosis of anorexia nervosa, while one or more other family members had to display some kind of disordered eating, though not necessarily anorexia nervosa.
The analysis of the entire sample did not reveal strong potential genetic similarities among the tested relatives. However, when researchers pared the sample down to 37 families in which two or more relatives had restricting anorexia nervosa--the "classic" form marked by severe food restriction without accompanying binge-eating and purging--they found strong evidence for the possibility of a susceptibility gene or genes on chromosome 1.
The findings do not mean that the researchers have actually located a gene for anorexia nervosa, emphasizes University of Pittsburgh's Kaye.
"When you have markers in common, as some members of these 37 families do, that means a particular chromosome is more likely to contain areas of interest," Kaye notes. "If trying to identify the responsible gene is like trying to find a person in the world, then we may have located the city the person lives in. It gives you some clue that you're in the right area."
Indeed, most likely there won't be a single gene that "causes" anorexia nervosa, but rather a number of genes that dispose someone to it, adds psychologist Bulik of Virginia Commonwealth University, who was part of the research team. These genes may include ones for personality variables such as anxiety, perfectionism or perseverance, for example, or for hormonal, metabolic and appetite factors.
"This is a complex disorder," says Bulik. "All kinds of different domains might play a role. A number of genes are probably involved, each with small but modest effects."
After years of studying the disorder, Bulik agrees that focusing solely on sociocultural factors provides a limited view of the disorder.
"Sociocultural factors are only important in that they might elicit an expression of someone's pre-existing genetic predisposition," she says. The next step for investigators, says Kaye, is to narrow down which genes in the localized area of chromosome 1 may play a role and to test for those genes. In addition, the team wants to replicate the finding in a larger number of families that have two or more individuals with anorexia nervosa. (Those who want to learn more about the study, or who know families who might want to participate, can visit the project's Web site at www.anbn.org.)
TREATMENT IMPLICATIONS
Although it may take years to develop a genetic profile for anorexia nervosa, Bulik believes the new development should ultimately be seen in terms of its potential for prevention and therapy.
"Right now, our blanket approaches have not been terribly effective in preventing eating disorders," Bulik says. "If we could use an individual's genetic profile to indicate level of risk, we could develop focused and tailored prevention packages for those most susceptible to developing an eating disorder."
Gene-replacement therapy itself may also be a possibility, she adds, though that's even further down the road.
It's important to keep at such investigations, Bulik adds, because the illness is so serious.
"It's still five or six years before people start getting better--and that's with treatment," says Bulik. "If a doctor told me it was going to take me five years to get better from some illness, I'd have a hard time accepting that. If we can figure out what genes contribute to this disorder, we might be more effective in alleviating the suffering of people who experience it."
Tori DeAngelis is a writer in Syracuse, N.Y.

July 23rd, 1975, New Haven Morning Record: The Carpenters Concert
"..The night belongs to the Carpenters..Karen Carpenter has endless energy to go with her talent...
Routine included, among others, Only Yesterday, Any Day Now, Please Mr. Postman....
Oakdale was filled again on opening night...I enjoyed it and so should you"

Complete Article Here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...aRHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ff8MAAAAIBAJ&pg=3053,2739425

I found this great article online, with some amazing observations that echo what a lot of people have said on the various 'Official Review' threads of Carpenters' albums. The link can be found here but I picked out some of the most insightful comments below:

On 'Offering': The best track, "Turn Away," recalls Richard Wright's Pink Floyd composition "Summer '68," only check the chords and tempo changes, it's far more creative, groovier, too.

On 'Carpenters': "Let Me Be the One," also written by Paul Williams and Roger Nichols, has great kick; check the original by Jack Jones to appreciate how Richard Carpenter declutters the core of the composition.

On 'A Kind Of Hush': A Kind of Hush' is a tired band's tired album. Supposedly Karen Carpenter first-taked "Superstar"; the tracks here all sound like take 30.

On 'Passage': 'Passage' is the artistic successor to Now & Then; perhaps it's a bit hipper. By '77, the prog dinosaurs couldn't pull this sort of indulgence off, but in the "easy listening" universe, this stuff was radical. A career high.

On 'Made In America': Peter Knight's playful 50s arrangement of Bacharach and Bayer-Sager's "Somebody's Been Lyin'" to provide the album's standout.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/carpenters.html

I saw Wendy Roberts and Phil Aldridge twice - their show was amazing and the stand out tracks were 'Calling Occupants' and 'We've Only Just Begun', the latter used to open the second part of their show with Wendy singing from the drums.

Concert Review From Eugene-Register Guard, July 1974:

"...medley of oldies but goodies was one of the few times that the group seemed to graduate from simple, slick
professionalism to an actual performance, and a genuinely sharing of something with the audience.
And,
there is no way Miss Carpenter's voice can be denied-welling up from some mysterious depths, achieving a caliper-
like precision and a bell-like clarity and occasionally an enormous ache, that simply has to be heard to be believed."

Source:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...6NVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=OOADAAAAIBAJ&pg=5469,2329497

there is no way Miss Carpenter's voice can be denied-welling up from some mysterious depths, achieving a caliper-
like precision and a bell-like clarity and occasionally an enormous ache, that simply has to be heard to be believed."

It kills me to think that so many of us missed out on the opportunity to hear Karen sing live. I've heard many, many amazing reports that it was an unbelievable experience to hear that voice reverberating around an auditorium, sitting high above the backing band and harmonies supporting her. Seeing videos of their live concerts just doesn't do it justice.

It was amazing, in fact. Saw then in 1976 (twice), 1978 (twice) and the Christmas concert at CSULB (1978).
Her voice was so warm and inviting. I wish someone had recorded her live version of "When I Fall in Love". Gorgeous.

I wish someone had recorded her live version of "When I Fall in Love". Gorgeous.

Going by the set lists I have, to my knowledge she never sang that live. Care to elaborate the concert at which she sang that song?

Last edited:
Sure. Las Vegas at the MGM 1978. Right after the opening, "Hush", and "I Need to Be in Love". There was also a "taste" of the forthcoming Christmas Portrait. There was also one other song that was unreleased. I think it may have been "Thank You for the Music". I'll see if I can find my original post (long ago!) on this. My memory is fuzzy a bit, but I know for a fact she sang it live.

Sorry, newvillefan. I guess the history of posts doesn't go that far back. It was one of the first posts I ever wrote here.

I remember her singing it because I was thrilled later with my tape of MMM in 1980 that included it. Even more thrilled when it was released on Lovelines.

Sure. Las Vegas at the MGM 1978. Right after the opening, "Hush", and "I Need to Be in Love". There was also a "taste" of the forthcoming Christmas Portrait. There was also one other song that was unreleased. I think it may have been "Thank You for the Music". I'll see if I can find my original post (long ago!) on this. My memory is fuzzy a bit, but I know for a fact she sang it live.

Interesting stuff, I'd never heard of that song being performed live until you mentioned it. I guess if it was a late 1978 concert, they would have already recorded it earlier in the year for possible inclusion in 'Space Encounters', so maybe wanted to try it out on the audience.

Awesome Mstaft ! Thanks for recounting those performances.
What a thrill it must have been to hear a live version of "I Just Fall In Love Again",
I have heard a digital copy of Karen singing "Evita" from a Live Las Vegas show, from 1978 .
I wonder if those were the only two Passage songs done Live?
You are, indeed , lucky to have been witness to those Live Performances.
When you listen to the recorded songs, do they evoke the memories of those concerts?

Mark, how close were you to the stage and no cassette tape recorder? :wink:

The last Olivia concert I attended I brought a pocket size digital cam with me with the intension of getting some video of my icon, then I realized my seat was on the far end and of course my seat had to be right next to mr security man, so I just let it run in my seat to capture the entire audio, no u tube stuff here folks this was for my own pleasure. I have it on my iPod and every time I hear it, just gives me goosebumps and takes me back to that exact time and place. From the opening of "Pearls on a Chain" to the close of "I Honesty Love You" and everything in between she gets me every time.

I really couldn't tell you fan reaction as I was riveted on Karen.
Karen definitely had this magnetic effect that drew you in during her live performances, it's a strange and wonderful feeling seeing your idol on stage.

It was in Las Vegas, so I was off center about what would be twenty rows back. But it was seating at tables instead. No recorder as I never even thought of it. I met K&R unexpectedly afterwards in 1976, but my camera was dead! Major bummer. (BTW- the song was When I Fall in Love, the old standard, not I Just Fall in Love Again.) The Palladium album is as close as it gets to what I saw in 1978. It was exactly the same in 76, though. Yes, every time I hear the opening number after Richards introduction, I am immediately taken back.

I'd love to see a set list from the 1978 show. As far as I know, that's never turned up.

As I've mentioned here on several occasions, I sat 6 rows from the stage on 4/21/73. I brought my tape recorder with me, but my brother dropped it outside the auditorium just as Skiles and Henderson were warming up the crowd. :sad: And it just flat out would NOT work.

Big OOPS....but I'm still grateful to him for taking me, as I was only 11 in 1973, and I had no other way of getting there. I already had all the singles and albums, and was as devoted a fan as anyone else there that night. It was also my first concert. I'll never forget it.

Chris, thanks for reading and commenting on the linked newspaper article.
I, too, still get disgusted when I find those archival news links, from 1983 especially,
wherein Karen Carpenter is not given her due.
It still gets under my skin, after all of these years.
At the time, the headlines should have included "Greatest Female Vocalist" .
And, I do not know about everyone's hometown news, but if Karen Carpenter was not on the Front Page,
then it was not good enough!
Radio Station WROK in Rockford, Illinois had an hour devoted to Carpenters' music that night (4th) and put together an
awesome multi-hour tribute later that month. The Rockford Register Star Newspaper did quite honorably, also.
So, there were those who knew that this was quite a loss to humanity and music.
(Although, I never understood why the Grammy Awards made no mention).

From same paper:

"'Sophie's Choice' didn't collect overwhelmingly favorable reviews and will be ignored."

:wink:

In other news- thank you so much, GaryAlan, for posting all of these articles. I love going through Google News, EBSCOHost, etc. for Carpenters-related articles too!

Back
Top Bottom