Anyone read this?

Birthday Tributes Continue at The Palm with Karen Carpenter
The very successful “Happy Birthday” series at The Palm Cabaret and Bar returns for their monthly tribute. In this case, the celebration centers around the late Karen Carpenter, vocalist and drummer for the legendary pop duo The Carpenters.
“Happy Birthday, Karen Carpenter!” will take place on Sunday, March 1, at 4 pm, for one performance, only.
Richard and Karen Carpenter produced a distinctive pop musical style during the early 70s,
later becoming one of the best-selling music artists of all time during their 14-year career.
Karen’s untimely death in 1983, brought media attention to anorexia nervosa, encouraging celebrities to go public about their eating disorders.
Also participating in “Happy Birthday, Karen Carpenter!” will be The Kinsey Sicks, “America’s Favorite Dragapella Beautyshop Quartet.” They are renowned for performing both original music and lyrics, as well as parodies of well-known songs a cappella.
Finally, local artist Kathy Overly will enlighten the audiences performing her oboe, a wind instrument that was a staple in many of The Carpenters’ hits, such as “For All We Know,” “Superstar,” and “I Know I Need to Be in Love.”

- See more at: http://www.vallartadaily.com/birthday-tributes-continue-palm-karen-carpenter/#sthash.WsagcRbQ.dpuf

Taboo Star Will Explore Carpenters Canon in NYC Concerts
By Andrew Gans
02 Mar 2015

Euan Morton, a Tony nominee for his performance in Taboo, will perform the songs made famous by Richard and Karen Carpenter in June at 54 Below.
Titled I ❤ The Carpenters, performances at the intimate venue are scheduled for June 1 at 7 PM, June 8 at 9:30 PM and June 15 at 7 PM. Morton will be backed by the newly formed Downey CA Collective, performing songs penned by Burt Bacharach andHal David, Paul Williams, Roger Nichols, Leon Russell, John Bettis and Richard Carpenter himself.
Among Carpenters hits were "We've Only Just Begun," "Close To You," "Rainy Days and Mondays" and "Top of the World."
"My youth was scored with the music of the world-famous, brother and sister duo the Carpenters," stated Morton. "With my ear pressed to a speaker, I’d listen to the velvet beauty of Karen's voice coupled with the genius of Richard's arrangements and compositions. That lonely boy discovered a kindred spirit – and learned how to sing – through that music. This series of concerts at 54 Below is the realization of a long-time dream of performing an evening of Carpenters songs. It's a project which aims to introduce this timeless music into our lives using a fresh, modern outlook which will prove that Richard and Karen’s musical legacy is as important and vibrant today as it was nearly fifty years ago. It couldn't be closer to my heart."
54 Below is located at 254 West 54th Street. Tickets are $45 with a $25 food/beverage minimum. Tickets will be available online at www.54Below.com.

Source:
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/taboo-star-will-explore-carpenters-canon-in-nyc-concerts-343079

Carpenters/Bettis mentioned:
MAR 2, 2015:
"Crazy for You" Turns 30: Madonna's First Hit Ballad
Madonna, however, was a little known artist when she signed on to sing "Crazy for You."
The song, recorded in 1983, was part of the soundtrack for Vision Quest.
This coming-of-age sports drama was then delayed for more than a year, which meant Madonna's second album, Like a Virgin,
hit record stores months before the film made it to the theaters.
Madonna's record company didn't want "Crazy for You" released as a single.
John Bettis and Jon Lind co-wrote "Crazy for You."
Both were seasoned songwriters before making "Crazy for You."
Bettis is best known for his work with The Carpenters, having written such hits as "Top of the World" and "Yesterday Once More."
He later received an Academy Award nomination for the song "Promise Me You'll Remember"
from The Godfather, Part III and Emmy Award nominations for his work on the family sitcom Growing Pains.
Lind explained that he and Bettis wrote the song "in one long day."

Source:
http://www.biography.com/news/madonna-crazy-for-you

Bettis is best known for his work with The Carpenters, having written such hits as "Top of the World" and "Yesterday Once More."

There's another Carpenters/Madonna link that springs to mind: Madonna donated the royalties of her single 'This Used To Be My Playground' to The Karen Carpenter Memorial Foundation (later renamed the Carpenter Family Foundation).

How about a 1978 Timeline as gleaned from Fan Club Newsletters:
#57 January: "Richard's stay in the hospital that you read about recently was a very brief one. He was just plain
exhausted from too much work and not enough sleep, so he decided a few days in the hospital away from all work
and telephones would help him get the rest he needed."
#58 March: "..keep bugging your local DJ's for the Carpenters latest releases..."
"Sweet ,Sweet Smile is doing exceptionally well on the Country/Western Charts."
#59 May : "TV Taping is Completed for latest special Space Encounters, which will air May 17th.
Peter Knight arranged and orchestrated the selections..They will fly to Germany for rehearsal May 10th, taping May 11th for Star Parade.'
There will be a Christmas Album this year. At the present time they are busy Mixing this long-awaited album."
#60 July 1978: "Appearance on Tonight Show June 27th. The Christmas Album is Completed. At the present time, back in Studio working
on their next Album. They met group Abba while in Germany for Star Parade. Christmas TV Special this year.
#61 September: Relaxing in Hawaii for a week, joined by Olivia Newton-John. No confirmation on Title or release date of next Single."
#62: November :" Christmas Portrait has been delivered to all record outlets. New Single "I Believe You" was released October 20th."
A&M in London Compiling another Singles Album 1974-1978 for release towards the end of this year. ASCAP awarded "Sweet, Sweet Smile" for
chart action."
December/No Newsletter.

MAR 2, 2015:
Madonna, however, was a little known artist when she signed on to sing "Crazy for You."
The song, recorded in 1983, was part of the soundtrack for Vision Quest.
This coming-of-age sports drama was then delayed for more than a year, which meant Madonna's second album, Like a Virgin,
hit record stores months before the film made it to the theaters.
Madonna's record company didn't want "Crazy for You" released as a single.
John Bettis and Jon Lind co-wrote "Crazy for You."
Both were seasoned songwriters before making "Crazy for You."
He later received an Academy Award nomination for the song "Promise Me You'll Remember"
from The Godfather, Part III and Emmy Award nominations for his work on the family sitcom Growing Pains.
Lind explained that he and Bettis wrote the song "in one long day."

Source:
http://www.biography.com/news/madonna-crazy-for-you
I knew there was a reason I liked "Crazy For You". It's a John Bettis song!

Worth Revisiting:
Published: January 31, 2013 – Volume 11 – Issue 42
The Downey Patriot
Karen Carpenter: All She Needed Was Love
Thirty Years After Her Death, Karen Carpenter's Life Remains An Enigma.
Elton John: “She has one of the greatest voices of our lifetime.”
Paul McCartney: “The best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive.”
Madonna: “Karen Carpenter had the clearest, purest voice. I’m completely influenced by her harmonic sensibility.”
Gwen Stefani: “It doesn’t matter how many times you hear it; you’ll still get goose bumps when you hear her sing.”
Robert Hilburn (former Los Angeles Times pop music critic): “The attraction for me was the intimacy and warmth of
Karen’s singing-a strange but seductive blend of innocence and melancholia.”
(And Hilburn was one of those who didn’t even like the Carpenters!)

Complete Here:
http://www.thedowneypatriot.com/article/karen-carpenter-all-she-needed-was-love/

Elton John: “She has one of the greatest voices of our lifetime.”
Paul McCartney: “The best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive.”
Madonna: “Karen Carpenter had the clearest, purest voice. I’m completely influenced by her harmonic sensibility.”
Gwen Stefani: “It doesn’t matter how many times you hear it; you’ll still get goose bumps when you hear her sing.”
Robert Hilburn (former Los Angeles Times pop music critic): “The attraction for me was the intimacy and warmth of
Karen’s singing-a strange but seductive blend of innocence and melancholia.”

I was thinking about Karen today when I saw a clip about Julie Andrews and how she lost the ability to sing after throat surgery in 1997. She described how she would have gone on singing for many years, into her sixties and beyond, had she retained the ability to perform.

Barbara Walters: "I think of Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett. Sinatra, from the time he was in his sixties to eighties, sang and matured [in voice]".
Julie Andrews: "One's voice always warms and thickens a little as you get older but it doesn't stop you from singing or the ability to sing. So you transpose a key or something like that, but it doesn't stop you from being able to sing".

Karen had a warm, thick sound to her voice in her twenties! Can you imagine how good she would have sounded now, today, at 65 years old? It boggles the mind.

I'm of similar mind Stephan. Had Karen seen her 65th, the maturity and abilities presented therein would be a musical triumph, a stratospheric concession to the artists innate brilliance. Her reputation established in the short recording career she had has her listed as gifted at the very least. I be boggled too~

As I've posted in the 1978 Timeline, taken from Fan Club Newsletters,
One vexing question remains:
The Christmas Portrait album was being Mixed in May 1978, and Completed by July.
Thus, if the 'chorale' parts for Ave Maria were misplaced, or lost--or, whatever the
now-given reason--Why was it still not recorded and included on the Vinyl release of that year.
There was plenty of time.
I, in this one instance, do not believe the description as put forth in the 40th Liner Notes.
The addition of the Choral parts could have made it onto the 1978 album, if that was the original intent.
Richard Carpenter simply changed his mind, later, when time came for the CD incarnation.
I do not often go out on a limb, but something does not add up, in the extant documentation.

Timeline, as reported in
Newsletters, 1977:
January, February....no Newsletters.
#52 March: ...."Richard has been spending most of his time researching songs for another album.
It will be a while before another album is released."
April...no Newsletter.
#53 May:..."It is with much regret that in order for Karen and Richard to complete their new album
they have been compelled to cancel tours for the month of June."
June,no Newsletter.
#54 July:..."next album to be released soon...Four TV Stations there to film footage of the recording sessions for the evening news,
There will be a TV Special this year...Tour Schedule,Oct 12-21 Japan,Nov.2&3 Manila, Nov.5-17 Australia,Nov.24&25 Hawaii."
August, no Newsletter.
#55 September:"All Japan,Manila,Australia and two Hawaii Concerts have been cancelled.
New album scheduled for release September 23rd, watch for 'Passage' in record stores."
October, no Newsletter.
#56 November: "Staff were given a sneak preview of the Christmas TV Special. All the songs were chosen and arranged by Richard, and
he made a terrific selection. Promotional Film for 'Occupants' will be shown worldwide,except the US. Karen and Richard were
recent guests of Don Steel on LA's radio station 10Q. Later this week they will be hosted by Wink Martindale on KMPC, another
great Los Angeles radio station. Richard gave a reluctant negative answer to write music for Disney's 'The Rescuers'.
1978 holds no promise of a tour, only Las Vegas. A TV Taping is scheduled for March, no other details available at this time."
December, no Newsletter.

Timeline, as reported in
Newsletters, 1977:
January, February....no Newsletters.
#52 March: ...."Richard has been spending most of his time researching songs for another album.
It will be a while before another album is released."
April...no Newsletter.
#53 May:..."It is with much regret that in order for Karen and Richard to complete their new album
they have been compelled to cancel tours for the month of June."
June,no Newsletter.
#54 July:..."next album to be released soon...Four TV Stations there to film footage of the recording sessions for the evening news,
There will be a TV Special this year...Tour Schedule,Oct 12-21 Japan,Nov.2&3 Manila, Nov.5-17 Australia,Nov.24&25 Hawaii."
August, no Newsletter.
#55 September:"All Japan,Manila,Australia and two Hawaii Concerts have been cancelled.
New album scheduled for release September 23rd, watch for 'Passage' in record stores."
October, no Newsletter.
#56 November: "Staff were given a sneak preview of the Christmas TV Special. All the songs were chosen and arranged by Richard, and
he made a terrific selection. Promotional Film for 'Occupants' will be shown worldwide,except the US. Karen and Richard were
recent guests of Don Steel on LA's radio station 10Q. Later this week they will be hosted by Wink Martindale on KMPC, another
great Los Angeles radio station. Richard gave a reluctant negative answer to write music for Disney's 'The Rescuers'.
1978 holds no promise of a tour, only Las Vegas. A TV Taping is scheduled for March, no other details available at this time."
December, no Newsletter.

It's only when you see the individual newsletters stacked up in order like this that it reveals the steady decline of the duo that was by now in progress...two lots of tours cancelled, album postponed, Richard turning down Disney etc.

On a different note, has any of the footage of the filming of Passage ever been posted anywhere online? I don't ever recall seeing it but would love to!

Last edited:
Well said, Stephen.
I re-read the Newsletters, and a palpable feeling of sorrow arises as those years progress.
Yet, Jerry Weintraub was not only Management Three, but Concerts West Promotions.
He had the clout to keep up the return of the duo to ABC Television, but not concert promotions?
One would believe the concerts to be too physically demanding, however, Karen and Richard point
out in Interviews that those Television specials took a great deal of time and effort.

Here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...P3MsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qvoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5727,393049
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...FI0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=20YEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5099,1479956
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...uEbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=klEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4516,1262484

Well said, Stephen.
I re-read the Newsletters, and a palpable feeling of sorrow arises as those years progress.
Yet, Jerry Weintraub was not only Management Three, but Concerts West Promotions.
He had the clout to keep up the return of the duo to ABC Television, but not concert promotions?
One would believe the concerts to be too physically demanding, however, Karen and Richard point
out in Interviews that those Television specials took a great deal of time and effort.

Here:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...P3MsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=qvoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5727,393049
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...FI0AAAAIBAJ&sjid=20YEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5099,1479956
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...uEbAAAAIBAJ&sjid=klEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4516,1262484
The differences between who is on Space Encounters and who is on Olivia's special are staggering! :sad:

The differences between who is on Space Encounters and who is on Olivia's special are staggering! :sad:

For the most part, I think the Carpenters suffered from having terrible Z-list celebrities on their shows and the blame for that lies with Jerry Weintraub who in part was looking after the interests of the other artists who were on his books. The only exceptions would be John Denver ("hot as a pistol at the time", according to Richard), Ella Fitzgerald and Gene Kelly, but the latter two were old-fashioned performers for the time. They should have had more guests like John Denver.

By contrast, Olivia's special just sizzled, especially the extended medley performance with full band and orchestra, plus the piece where she, ABBA and Andy Gibb all sang and played instruments in a circle with the kids around them.

Re-reading the Fan Club Newsletters is rather fascinating---and, I am transcribing exact wording:
October 1971: "..Arguments between them are very rare..."
November 1971: "...First of all, a special message from Richard. He sends thank you for cards and gifts for his Birthday."
January 1972:"Richard and Karen wish all of you a Big Happy New Year..Plans in the making for a Carpenter TV Special."
February 1972: "All arrangements are 'Richard Originals'. A&M destroyed remaining Offering Covers."
May 1972: "Q--Is anyone singing besides you? A: Definitely Not, the only voices you hear are Karen and Richard,even
when it sounds like a choir."
September 1972: "Q--Has Richard ever thought of doing a solo piano album? A--Yes, he is considering it."
December 1972: " Richard sends thanks for gifts and card you all bestowed upon him."
January 1973: Richard and Karen thanks for Holiday Cards and gifts."
Febraury 1973: "The only voices you hear on the records is Karen and Richard."
March 1973: "A Great Big thank you from Richard for all the get well cards and gifts.."
May 1973: "Taping of their own TV special postponed temporarily."
October 1973: "Richard and Karen spent the past three weeks getting together an album of their greatest hits."
November 1973: "Richard conveys his warm appreciation for the lovely Birthday Cards."
April 1974: Many thanks from Karen and Mom for the cards and letters that poured in for their birthdays."

Re-reading the Fan Club Newsletters is rather fascinating---and, I am transcribing exact wording:
October 1971: "..Arguments between them are very rare..."
November 1971: "...First of all, a special message from Richard. He sends thank you for cards and gifts for his Birthday."
January 1972:"Richard and Karen wish all of you a Big Happy New Year..Plans in the making for a Carpenter TV Special."
February 1972: "All arrangements are 'Richard Originals'. A&M destroyed remaining Offering Covers."
May 1972: "Q--Is anyone singing besides you? A: Definitely Not, the only voices you hear are Karen and Richard,even
when it sounds like a choir."
September 1972: "Q--Has Richard ever thought of doing a solo piano album? A--Yes, he is considering it."
December 1972: " Richard sends thanks for gifts and card you all bestowed upon him."
January 1973: Richard and Karen thanks for Holiday Cards and gifts."
Febraury 1973: "The only voices you hear on the records is Karen and Richard."
March 1973: "A Great Big thank you from Richard for all the get well cards and gifts.."
May 1973: "Taping of their own TV special postponed temporarily."
October 1973: "Richard and Karen spent the past three weeks getting together an album of their greatest hits."
November 1973: "Richard conveys his warm appreciation for the lovely Birthday Cards."
April 1974: Many thanks from Karen and Mom for the cards and letters that poured in for their birthdays."

A little off topic but can you, or anyone, tell me where to get those newsletters. I used to see them on karencarpenter.com but that website seems to have gone kaput and I can't find them anywhere else.

MissK, I am unable to locate an online source for all of the Newsletters..but, surely I will keep looking!
In the meanwhile:
Newsletter#59 May 1978 :
" Richard has passed on the information relating to numerous inquiries concerning the songs he and Karen
recorded on the Magic Lamp Label. Karen recorded Looking For Love, I'll Be Yours, Parting of Our Ways, and one
other. The only record of Karen's released was Looking For Love/I'll Be Yours in the Summer of 1966.
The musicians on that record were Richard at Piano, Karen on Drums, Joe Osborn on Electric Bass and Wes Jacobs
on stand up Bass. Richard's favorite is Looking For Love.
Most people who heard the record preferred I'll Be Yours, which Richard didn't like as much, because it was a variation
of another tune he wrote, You'll Love Me--which he liked more. Approximately 500 records were pressed."

Julie Andrews: "One's voice always warms and thickens a little as you get older but it doesn't stop you from singing or the ability to sing. So you transpose a key or something like that, but it doesn't stop you from being able to sing".

Karen had a warm, thick sound to her voice in her twenties! Can you imagine how good she would have sounded now, today, at 65 years old? It boggles the mind.

[/QUOTE]
Especially since Karen did not abuse her voice like Joni Mitchell or Adele or Whitney Houston.

Back
Top Bottom