Anyone read this?

Harry Langdon's photo wrongly captioned, Another Song wrongly dated, and the choices ... BUT, all the comments! The British people are still so fond of Carpenters, it's heart-warming to see :)
Speaking of that photo:

I’ve never gotten the love for that particular Harry Langdon shot with Karen’s satin jumpsuit and Richard’s ‘stars’ shirt. There are so many pictures from other photo sessions that are just infinitely better and don’t SCREAM 1977.

Speaking of that photo:

I’ve never gotten the love for that particular Harry Langdon shot with Karen’s satin jumpsuit and Richard’s ‘stars’ shirt. There are so many pictures from other photo sessions that are just infinitely better and don’t SCREAM 1977.
It's probably one of my least favorite photo sessions.

"The Carpenters’ 20 greatest songs – ranked:​

"As their self-titled, third album and biggest hit turns 50, we pick their best work
by Alexis Petridis..."

1. Goodbye to Love (1972)​

"Such was the Carpenters’ saccharine image that the distorted guitar solo that plays over Goodbye to Love’s
closing burst of harmonies was considered a risky move. But then, Goodbye to Love itself seems like a risky move.
Much of the Carpenters’ appeal came from wrapping sadness in super-smooth arrangements, but the sheer despondency of Goodbye to Love’s lyric would have given Joy Division pause: “No one ever cared if I should live or die … all I know of love is how to live without it.”
Karen’s vocal is a masterclass in restraint, its eerie calmness only amplifying the song’s emotional punch.
Scoff about easy listening at your peril: this is an awesome record."

More:

Sad that BJ Thomas has died. I go for almost all genres of music and what you might call Easy Listening is an area that I love. How delicious all those songs were - ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On my Head’, ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll Lullaby’, ‘Hooked On a Feeling’, ‘Mama’, ‘Hey, Won’t You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song?’, ‘Whatever Happened to Old Fashioned Love?’, ‘Mighty Clouds of Joy’, ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’...... the list of great BJ songs goes on and on. And what a voice!

Sad that BJ Thomas has died. I go for almost all genres of music and what you might call Easy Listening is an area that I love. How delicious all those songs were - ‘Raindrops Keep Falling On my Head’, ‘Rock ‘n’ Roll Lullaby’, ‘Hooked On a Feeling’, ‘Mama’, ‘Hey, Won’t You Play Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song?’, ‘Whatever Happened to Old Fashioned Love?’, ‘Mighty Clouds of Joy’, ‘I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry’...... the list of great BJ songs goes on and on. And what a voice!
He was a tremendous talent. One of a kind voice.

Jimmy Brown has impeccable taste and I'll be happy to see the removal of the word "guilty" in the future when disclosing an individual's appreciation for the Carpenters :cool:

Jimmy Brown has impeccable taste and I'll be happy to see the removal of the word "guilty" in the future when disclosing an individual's appreciation for the Carpenters :cool:
Of course, he seems to be hypocrite when he talks about just streaming his music so that he can help save the environment:

Streaming creates more pollution that CD's, vinyl and cassettes (even chromium cassettes, which were discontinued due to toxic by-products of the chromium particles manufacture).

You are entirely right about the recurrent corruption of the word "guilty" in qualifying a person's fondness for the Carpenters and/or their music. How could there be any "guilt" in appreciating good music? It has simply sunk to the level of a canard from repeated misuse. Employing the term reflects a form of psychological deficiency, indicating the user simply lacks the courage of their convictions and inordinate submission to convention.

Tom Dunne's Music & Me: How 1971 gave us Joni, Bowie, Marvin and so many more​

It's 50 years since what was arguably the greatest year for popular music.
David Hepworth's book takes us behind the scenes on some of the classic albums it produced...

"Picture the scene: A&M’s recording studios in LA on corner of Sunset and La Brea. It’s a sunny mid-morning in January 1971.
There are actually three studios, the main one, Studio A and two smaller, but no less impressive studios either side.
All are in use. The main studio is today housing The Carpenters who are recording their third album. "
"...this year, as classic album after classic album celebrated its 50th anniversary I had to go back...1971 was a pivotal year in music is irrefutable."

More:

Tom Dunne's Music & Me: How 1971 gave us Joni, Bowie, Marvin and so many more​

It's 50 years since what was arguably the greatest year for popular music.
David Hepworth's book takes us behind the scenes on some of the classic albums it produced...

"Picture the scene: A&M’s recording studios in LA on corner of Sunset and La Brea. It’s a sunny mid-morning in January 1971.
There are actually three studios, the main one, Studio A and two smaller, but no less impressive studios either side.
All are in use. The main studio is today housing The Carpenters who are recording their third album. "
"...this year, as classic album after classic album celebrated its 50th anniversary I had to go back...1971 was a pivotal year in music is irrefutable."

More:
Speaking of which, were the Carpenters ever mentioned in the "1971" documentary? (They should be, of course, but I'm not getting my hopes up).

Let's (Soft) Rock: 60 Fun Facts for the Adult Contemporary Chart's 60th Anniversary​

The list premiered in the July 17, 1961 Billboard issue.​

The Carpenters dominated the 1970s with 14 Number 1's

Source:

Something which they failed to mention, is that when you look at the decades, the Carpenters 14 stand as the most AC #1’s in any decade.

The second is Lionel Richie in the 80’s with 11 #1’s, followed by Celine Dion in the 90’s with 10, the Frank Sinatra in the 60’s and Taylor Swift in the 2010’s with six, and then Josh Groban with 5 in the 2000’s.

The interesting thing about the previous article about the 60th Anniversary of Billboard's Easy Listening chart history is
that today, that is July 20, 2021 The Carpenters have the Number One Easy Listening cd on Amazon, Gold.
Here:

Additional chart action today:

Back
Top Bottom