Anything Goes - Herb & Lani's New Release - AUG. 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word yet on a potential release date for this CD? Lani's presence or not, I'll still give the CD a chance.

Now, let me make myself perfectly clear:

1. I realize that Alpert and Hall are married.

2. I realize that they tour together.

Those things said though, when I listen to an Alpert album, I am listening to it because I want a relaxing instrumental recording to listen to. Even if Alpert did a duet with an old master tape of Elvis Presley's, Gene Pitney's, or Lesley Gore's (these are my three favorite vocal artists), I'd probably still refer to the album as being "sullied by vocals." That statement was by no means meant as a personal attack on Lani Hall since I have no idea what she sounds like.

Let's not forget, after all, that the TJB song that most people consider the worst of the bunch, "Talk to the Animals" was a vocal track. Let's not forget that tijuanabrass.com says that the two clunkers on Warm are the two vocal tracks (although I personally don't think "Without Her" is actually that atrociously bad). My point, and my personal opinion (although I do respect those of you who do not share it) is this:

Alpert's trumpet + vocals < Alpert's trumpet - vocals

I have now said my piece for the time being. I still am excited that Alpert is releasing something new and look forward to hearing it.

I am excited to hear the new release, but I'll go in knowing it's not my kind of music. (Freeform jazz - not my fave.) Still, it'll be fun to hear, even if it doesn't make "heavy rotation" status in my collection.

gameenjoyer,

FWIW..I tend to share your views and opinions, so you can find, shall we say, a "kindred spirit" here.

I like your little "formula" as regards vocals or lack thereof.

I don't usually like to listen to sound samples but since I have a feeling I won't like this album much, I went ahead and listened...and now I'm thinking I might like it better than I had thought. :thumbsup:

I too tend to shy away from online samples. I let one play through its 30 seconds or so, and it sounded a good deal like the live show I saw at Joe's Pub, so that's a good thing.

Any official release date yet, or have I missed that?

Harry

Regret that I probably will not be able to see the concerts in thr NYC ares as my wife will be convalescing from surgery. I'm happy to have seen them last year in DC - I mean, they walked right by me at the bar (as If I was receiving line - who knew?), and gave a very nice evening of music. I left not knowing they met with folks afterward, but just as well - they're entitled to privacy. I'll be happy with a new CD (and wonder "what if" in terms of getting it signed, lol) or, since I am a stdt aid administrator for a college, wondering if I can entreat them to further their terrific support of higher education and the arts...

So I don't care about any label it's on....although maybe could put our pennies together and create the Lonely Bull label? lol

Steve Sidoruk said:
Go to www.herbalpert.com for a new page with info about "Anything Goes."

It's great to hear Herb relaxing and having fun with these tunes and Lani so spot-on with the vocals. Tell me, can any Herb/TJB/Brasil '66 fan justify not buying this album? What more do you want?

Mike A.

Exactly! Time to let go for those waiting for more sounds like the Tijuana Brass. Herb & Lani have never sounded better! Not only that, catch them live if they get to a venue near you. After the show, wait for the "meet & greet" - they'll likely pose for pix and give autographs, too. For the fans, you'll walk away with memories never to forget! :D

Steve Sidoruk said:
Not only that, catch them live if they get to a venue near you.

I'll be at the Philadelphia show on April 17th, hoping to relive some of the magic that happened up at Joe's Pub in New York last May (I'm still getting weekly emails from Joe's Pub!).

Herb hasn't played in Philly in a long time - I think it might have been the BULLISH tour, which I missed. The last time I saw him locally was at the now-gone Valley Forge Music Fair with Lani and the '70's T.J.B.

Harry

Second+Wind+07+copy.jpg

Second Wind Tour - May 17, 1996
Theatre of the Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA

Steve Sidoruk said:
Second+Wind+07+copy.jpg

Second Wind Tour - May 17, 1996
Theatre of the Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA

Yeah - forgot that one too, since I missed it!

harry

They'll be in Iowa City in November. If they don't come near here in Texas then I'll probably go north in September to see them. Right now it looks like I'll try to see them in both Brookfield, WI (just outside of Milwaukee) then to Naperville (just outside of Chicago). Hopefully, I'd be able to also catch a Cubs playoff game and a Bears game while up there at the same time. :thumbsup:

Capt. Bacardi
...planning a dream vacation online...

BTW, the CD cover (which you can download from Herb's site) makes a really cool desktop background for your PC monitor. :thumbsup:

Capt. Bacardi

There are three black & white hi-res photos there too, two of which show Herb and then Lani seated in a window.

2009_HerbAlpert_Window_HiRes.jpg

2009_LaniHall_Window_720.JPG

As I looked at both of these I realized that one of them must be backwards, since the ladder or fire escape slopes the other way, and the latch on the window goes the other way.

Harry

The flip may have been intentional, since the position of their bodies "bookend" each other when the images are compared. Also, notice how the direction of the fire escape ladder leads the eye to the subject in each photo. This is really a very nice example of photographic technique and composition.

Dan

Harry said:
As I looked at both of these I realized that one of them must be backwards, since the ladder or fire escape slopes the other way, and the latch on the window goes the other way.
Lani's is reversed, since Herb's trumpet has all the slides on the correct sides.

Stephen Vakil said:
Lani's pose echoes the cover of Albany Park, I think.........

ALBANY PARK...and CLASSICS VOL 19:

sp4898.jpg
sp2517.jpg

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom