ANYTHING GOES - Reviews and comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gameenjoyer, you and I share many views and opinions, FWIW. And, I am a veteran Herb Alpert/TJB fan and listener AND a veteran trumpet player myself.

Lani Hall is truly an excellent singer with superior vocal control, tone, and style. She was pretty much "the voice" of the A&M group Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66.

At the same time, for every track featuring Lani Hall (and thus Sergio, et.al.) that I have listened to, I have listened to Alpert tracks hundreds and hundreds of times.

So, it comes down to what we as individuals spin the most.

Both of them are wonderful artists. Which we listen to is a matter of purely personal preference.

I found the Advance CD at a used CD shop yesterday (in mint condition :)). Has anyone compared the Advance CD to the standard U.S. disc? Are the tracks identical? I know that the song titles are indentical, but do the two discs have identical versions throughout? The track times listed on Amazon and on the Advance CD differ for a few songs, but that may not mean anything.

Hi Keith.

I'm unaware of any differences between the advance Cd and the regular stock issue for ANYTHING GOES.

I know there was a minor difference between the advance CD and regular CD for the REWHIPPED disc.

Lifted from an old ReWHIPPED thread, details about the two different versions of the rewhipped "Bittersweet Samba", one found on the advance promo CD:

Captain Bacardi wrote:
For those of you who have the advanced copy of the CD: Notice that there's a difference on "Bittersweet Samba" in that there is a muted trumpet part at the beginning and in the middle on the actual release. This is missing on the advanced copy!
Capt. Bacardi

There are some interesting differences in the two "Bittersweet Samba" tracks.

The Advance CD starts with a cymbal crash leading to a push-and-pull Brazilian samba rhythm. Herb's initial trumpet note hits at the :09 mark.

The stock CD starts with a fade-up with a straighter rhythm, not as much push-and-pull. Herb's initial trumpet hits at the :07 mark.

I think there may be other differences as well. It's definitely a different "mix".

Harry

That kind of thing always makes me wonder which was supposed to be the real "final" mix. (I still think we aren't hearing the REAL final mix of "Brasilia" on the WHAT NOW MY LOVE CDs!)

KeithH said:
I found the Advance CD at a used CD shop yesterday (in mint condition :)).

The best $6 you ever spent! :D I don't yet have my standard copy of this one--when I get it, we'll have to give a listen to both and see if there are any differences.

BTW, I forgot to mention...I realized I have the Sting 12" among my pile. And we just drove past your place a few hours ago...

Harry said:
Hi Keith.

I'm unaware of any differences between the advance Cd and the regular stock issue for ANYTHING GOES.

I know there was a minor difference between the advance CD and regular CD for the REWHIPPED disc.

Lifted from an old ReWHIPPED thread, details about the two different versions of the rewhipped "Bittersweet Samba", one found on the advance promo CD:

Captain Bacardi wrote:
For those of you who have the advanced copy of the CD: Notice that there's a difference on "Bittersweet Samba" in that there is a muted trumpet part at the beginning and in the middle on the actual release. This is missing on the advanced copy!
Capt. Bacardi

There are some interesting differences in the two "Bittersweet Samba" tracks.

The Advance CD starts with a cymbal crash leading to a push-and-pull Brazilian samba rhythm. Herb's initial trumpet note hits at the :09 mark.

The stock CD starts with a fade-up with a straighter rhythm, not as much push-and-pull. Herb's initial trumpet hits at the :07 mark.

I think there may be other differences as well. It's definitely a different "mix".

Harry

Thanks, Harry! I remember the differences on Rewhipped and have both the regular and advance versions. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to comparing them yet. :sad:

Rudy said:
KeithH said:
I found the Advance CD at a used CD shop yesterday (in mint condition :)).

The best $6 you ever spent! :D I don't yet have my standard copy of this one--when I get it, we'll have to give a listen to both and see if there are any differences.

BTW, I forgot to mention...I realized I have the Sting 12" among my pile. And we just drove past your place a few hours ago...

Hey, Rudy! Yes, the best use of $6 I've found yet. :D Even if the Advance CD is identical to the regular issue content-wise, I have a jewel case with the Advance CD. I've never warmed up to digipaks.

Thanks for reminding me about the Sting 12" single. I completely forgot about it when I left the other day. Don't go off selling it for a mint now. :D

KeithH said:
Hey, Rudy! Yes, the best use of $6 I've found yet. :D Even if the Advance CD is identical to the regular issue content-wise, I have a jewel case with the Advance CD. I've never warmed up to digipaks.

Not crazy about them myself--the only reason I really want it that way is because it is the "official" version. I mentioned last Tuesday, also, that my TJB "Christmas Album" is in a jewel case (from YourMusic.com), and they squished the digipak's art to fit a square jewel case booklet, and it looks horrible. I still need the official version of that one.

Long story, but I may be getting my copy of "Anything Goes" this Sunday if I meet my Canadian friends up in Port Huron. (I had an Amazon.ca order sent there a few months ago, with a few other items.) If not, it'll be the end of January when they swing by en route to Florida.

KeithH said:
Thanks for reminding me about the Sting 12" single. I completely forgot about it when I left the other day. Don't go off selling it for a mint now. :D

Well actually, I don't have a promo of that one... :D Then again, it beats the cover image on the original 12" single. :wink:

Finally heard the CD last night. The song "Besame Mucho" is my favorite which I also heard talking at the beginning of the song. Lani's "Morning Coffee" is also a good song. I also liked "It's Only A Paper Moon" as well. As Herb said at the end of the CD "Thank you very much". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There are other vocal groups where someone other than the lead singer gets top billing, such as Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes (Teddy Pendergrass? hello?)....Sergio was truly the group leader, arranger, the whole thing was his baby - plus he's Brazilian. Lani's a nice Jewish girl from Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom