AOTW: Artie Butler, "Have You Met Miss Jones?"

If you've owned or heard this album, how would you rate it?

• * * * * * (Best)

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • * * * (Average)

• * (Worst)

• Haven't heard this album.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
ARTIE BUTLER
HAVE YOU MET MISS JONES?
SP3007 (Released 1968)

Vinyl, R-to-R, Cassette and 4 & 8 Track

Produced by Creed Taylor
Engineered by Rudy Van Gelder at Van Gelder Studios
Recorded on Jan 8, 15, 17 and Feb 28, 1968
Arranged & Conducted by Artie Butler
Liner Notes by Joel Vance
Cover Photos by Pete Turner
Album Design by Sam Antupit

Piano & Ondioline: Artie Butler

1. Track Listing:
  2. The Loop (Hardy) 2:00
  3. The Whiffenpoof Song (Galloway/Minnigerode/Pomeroy) 3:15
  4. A Trumpeter's Lullabye (Anderson) 3:00
  5. April Showers (DeSylva/Silvers) 2:20
  6. Max's Brazilian What (Hardy) 2:30
  7. Have You Met Miss Jones? (Rodgers/Hart) 3:25
  8. Music For Night People (Moorhouse/Rees) 2:33
  9. When I'm 64 (Lennon/McCartney) 3:00
  10. Camelot (Lerner/Leowe) 2:40
  11. In The Heat Of The Night (Jones) 3:10
  12. Something Stupid (Carson) 3:45

-= N =-

sp3008.jpg

Captain Bacardi

ARTIE BUTLER
HAVE YOU MET MISS JONES?
SP3007 (Released 1968)

I've never seen this album before, but I am curious as to how this sounds. The track listing looks interesting.

sp3008.jpg

Are we getting our images mixed up here? :oops:

Capt. Bacardi
...who has met a few Miss Jones over the years... :D

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
I think he means:

sp3007.jpg

Harry
...finder of correct images, online...

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
OK, that looks a little better! :D (Well hey, what do you expect after midnight? Beside Miss Jones, of course...)

-= N =-
...looking for a 32-hour day...

jimac51

With the right artwork,my two cents on this one,since I have owned it for a long time and remember hearing tracks on the radio when it came out. Though not a jazz album by a long shot,this recording is certainly a worthy addition to the A&M catalog-as equally fun as a good Baja Marimba Band album. Artie was responsible for hundreds of arrangements for vocalists,TV,commercials,etc. and it is always interesting to see what someone would do from out of the shadows. "Max's Brazilian What?" is what. Lightweight,breezy and,yes,probably a bit dated from its late'60s sound,I have always enjoyed this guilty pleasure. Still hard to think that this is a VanGelder recording-Neil,your critique about the distorted sound of some of these A&M/CTIs is well founded here.Maybe the problem is a large group in Rudy's studio that usually had small jazz groups within,though it isn't so prevalent on the Verve/Creed Taylors with Oliver Nelson or Lalo Schifrin conducting. This album is probably never going to see domestic CD light of day,but there is nothing here to be ashamed about. Does LP Jim have any stories about Artie with his autographed copy that is in the Rogues Gallery?Mac

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
jimac51 said:
Still hard to think that this is a VanGelder recording-Neil,your critique about the distorted sound of some of these A&M/CTIs is well founded here.Maybe the problem is a large group in Rudy's studio that usually had small jazz groups within,though it isn't so prevalent on the Verve/Creed Taylors with Oliver Nelson or Lalo Schifrin conducting.

I've noticed the same myself: I've heard other recordings from Van Gelder's that are clear as a bell. The A&M/CTi albums, on the whole, seem to have a somewhat muddy, congested sound, with an overly warm mid-bass. If you think about it, on late 60's hi-fi consoles, this probably made them sound just peachy, thanks. The A&M/CTi concept of "jazz for the masses" may have made this a producer decision to make jazz sound warmer, and more like easy listening. It's not just larger groups, either: Tamba 4's Samba Blim has a bit of muck to it. Better on CD, but still has that mid-bass warmth. A slight nudge down with the EQ from about 120Hz to 200Hz really cleans things up. A&M's LP master tapes weren't among the better sounding ones out there, which is why properly remastered CDs regain some of the brightness.

Naturally I'm only guessing, but compared to other Van Gelder recordings, these aren't up to the same level sonically. And it's the only explanation I can think of.

-= N =-

LPJim

Staff member
In March 2000 Singer/Songwriter Jan Ian held a 2-evening symposium for the University of TN's Women's Studies Committee. The first night was a lecture (about her experiences in the music business) with a concert held the following night. I noticed that Artie Butler had played keyboards on her first album -- the 1966 self-titled one with "Society's Child" on it. While getting my LP signed I mentioned the Butler credit. To my astonishment, Janis said she kept in touch with Artie regularly and wrote down my email address to forward to him.
About a week later I got an email from Mr. Butler and shortly thereafter mailed my copy of MISS JONES -- with return postage -- to get signed. Can't imagine how I could have done this without Miss Ian's help; I'm eternally grateful.
About a year later I ran Butler's name through the Ebay search engine and discovered a recent CD from him, CLASSIC BROADWAY by Artie Butler's Hollywood Rainbow Pops. This was released in 1995 on K-Tel International label and is a 10-track collection of pop standards such as "Send in the Clowns" and "All I Ask of You" (from Phantom of the Opera). Adding this nifty item to my collection set me back my $2 winning bid plus an equal amount of postage.
The photo of Mr. Butler at my site is from the CD songsheet. Nice to know he's still active in music.
JB
PS: One of the finest moments on MISS JONES is the driving piano solo at the end of "Music For Night People." It fades out much too quickly IMHO.

jimac51

Jim-Thanks for sharing the memories! Gee,Ms. Ian was in the area recently so I missed what was probably an interesting evening not only of music but performed by a real human. As for Artie's work on his own album,yeah,you would have thought that a little stretching out would have been allowed,at least on one track. That album clocks in at around 33 minutes and I think at the time these CTI/A&Ms were a buck higher in list price-more money/less music,what a concept! At least there is no padding. Mac

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
The extra buck was probably for the Pete Turner or Jim McCrary photos. :wink:

-= N =-

Mr Bill

Gentlemanly Curmudgeon
Staff member
Rudy said:
The extra buck was probably for the Pete Turner or Jim McCrary photos. :wink:

...and the extra cardboard (plus printing ink) necessary for the gatefold sleeve!

--Mr B

William

jimac51 said:
"Max's Brazilian What?" is what. Lightweight,breezy and,yes,probably a bit dated from its late'60s sound,I have always enjoyed this guilty pleasure.

I've never heard this album, but with a recommendation like that, I find it surprising that our Japanese friends haven't put "Jones" out on CD yet. Sounds like something they (and I :D) would get a kick out of.

- William

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom