🎵 AotW AOTW: Chuck Mangione - CHASE THE CLOUDS AWAY (SP-4518)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Chuck Mangione
CHASE THE CLOUDS AWAY

A&M SP-4518

sp4518.jpg

Released 1975
Peaked at #6 on the Jazz Charts (1975)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Chuck Mangione

Songs:
  • 1. Song Of The New Moon - 6:36
    2. Can't We Do This All Night - 5:27
    3. He Was A Friend Of Mine - 6:26
    4. Echano - 8:33
    5. Chase The Clouds Away - 4:53
    6. Soft - 3:31

All selections composed and arranged by Chuck Mangione and published by Gates Music Inc. (BMI)
Musicians:
Chuck Mangione - Conductor, Yamaha Flugelhorn, Fender Rhodes Electric Piano
Gerry Niewood - Soprano and Tenor Saxophones, C Flute, Alto Flute
Joe LaBarbera - Drums
Chip Jackson - Bass
Esther Satterfield - Vocals (6)
Gerald Vinci - Concertmaster
Vincent DeRosa - Principal French Horn
Bill Reichenbach, Jr. - Trombone Solo (3)
Kathy Moses - Piccolo & Flute Solos (4, 5)
Edgar Lustgarten: Cello Solo (5)

Engineer: Mick Guzauski
Assistant Engineers: David Iveland and Ellis Sorkin
Recorded at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California
Orchestra Personnel - Kai Winding
Personal Manager - Tom Iannaccone

Art Direction - Roland Young
Photography - Harry Mittman, Girard Mouton III
Design - Phil Shima
Liner Notes - Chuck Mangione

Note: This album was recorded "live" in the studio without overdubs or additional instrumentation.

This album is dedicated to the memory of Bill Givens - a great man and special friend.

Capt. Bacardi

My second favorite A&M album by Mangione (after Main Squeeze). This was a tight band. Joe LaBarbera had things hopping with his drumming and Gerry Niewood was lights out. Some of Mangione's better compositions are here. My favorites are "Song Of The New Moon" and "Echano". I even love the orchestrations on the title track. The only downer was the vocals of Esther Satterfield on "Soft". It just didn't fit this album.

Capt. Bacardi

Yeah, Echano is a monster cut --- the late Niewood's solo (as all of his solos) is a model of construction and swing -- He was a GREAT player -- Loved his soprano. You are right , "Soft" does not quite fit the program, but the orchestral cuts are superb. I like this album, but I would rate the following "Bellavia" a notch higher.

Beautifully done, well orchestrated and ample duets between Mangione & Niewood (enough that one would think that they both deserve equal billing in the project) and aside from Esther Satterfield's vocal on "Soft" (which is a pretty song, though it belongs on one of her albums) this is one of the later-Chuck Mangione's (and this time on a "breezy theme") most cohesive, consistent and conceptual...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom