🎵 AotW AOTW: Evie Sands ANY WAY THAT YOU WANT ME (A&M SP 4239)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
sp4239.jpg

There's freedom here. It's not the kind that men join armies to protect. It's something that every man feels ... the kid no one can take away. It's universal as laughter, wild as wind, more subtle than a pastel landscape., brighter than a thousand dawns.
To feel this freedom is to be really alive, to be aware and profoundly conscience of being; to take one long bicycle ride and end up in everywhere land.
To know this freedom is to dive right smack in the middle of life and never be afraid of drowning; to face a hundred decisions and revise each one with a smile; to kow that as a flower dies it becomes the food for another spring.
Oh yes there's freedom here ... rare, undiluted and in remarkable form.

Side One: **Crazy Annie (inspired by "Midnight Cowboy") 3:15/ But You Know I Love You 2:54/** I'll Never Be alone Again 3:03/** Any Way that you Want Me 3:40/** Close Your Eyes, Cross Your Fingers 4:00/ *It's this I am 4:08.
Side Two: **Shadow of the Evening 4:11/ ***Take me for a little While 2:41/** Until it's time for you to Go 2:56/** I'll Hold out my Hand 3:23/** Carolina in my Mind 0:40/*One Fine Summer Morning 3:22.

Produced by Chip Taylor and Al Gorgoni for Taylor-Gorgoni Productions/ Arranged by Lee Holdridge*, Al Gorgoni** and Trade Martin ***/ recorded at Century Sound Recording Studios, New York with the exception of I'll Hold Out My Hand and One Fine Summer Morning - recorded at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, California/ Engineer Brooks Arthur/ Art direction and cover photography by Tom Wilkes/ Back liner photo by Tom Wilkes and Guy Webster.

CD availability: recently released as a Japan import with "Maybe Tomorrow" from JOHN & MARY (SP 4230) Soundtrack as a bonus.

JB

For information on Evie's recent recording activity, visit www.trainwreckrecords.com

LP Jim said:
There's freedom here. It's not the kind that men join armies to protect. It's something that every man feels ... the kid no one can take away. It's universal as laughter, wild as wind, more subtle than a pastel landscape., brighter than a thousand dawns.
To feel this freedom is to be really alive, to be aware and profoundly conscience of being; to take one long bicycle ride and end up in everywhere land.
To know this freedom is to dive right smack in the middle of life and never be afraid of drowning; to face a hundred decisions and revise each one with a smile; to know that as a flower dies, it becomes the food for another spring.
Oh yes there's freedom here ... rare, undiluted and in remarkable form.

Side One: **Crazy Annie (inspired by "Midnight Cowboy") 3:15/ But You Know I Love You 2:54/** I'll Never Be Alone Again 3:03/** Any Way That You Want Me 3:40/** Close Your Eyes, Cross Your Fingers 4:00/ *It's This I Am 4:08.
Side Two: **Shadow of the Evening 4:11/ ***Take Me For A Little While 2:41/** Until It's Time For You To Go 2:56/** I'll Hold Out My Hand 3:23/** Carolina On My Mind 0:40/*One Fine Summer Morning 3:22.

Produced by Chip Taylor and Al Gorgoni for Taylor-Gorgoni Productions/ Arranged by Lee Holdridge*, Al Gorgoni** and Trade Martin ***/ recorded at Century Sound Recording Studios, New York with the exception of I'll Hold Out My Hand and One Fine Summer Morning - recorded at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, California/ Engineer Brooks Arthur/ Art direction and cover photography by Tom Wilkes/ Back liner photo by Tom Wilkes and Guy Webster.

CD availability: recently released as a Japan import with "Maybe Tomorrow" from JOHN & MARY (SP 4230) Soundtrack as a bonus.

JB

I still have my CD reissue with The JOHN & MARY Theme "Maybe Tomorrow"; usually play that one first. A failed picture, but a top notch theme, Evie sings well. Just like the would be MIDNIGHT COWBOY number, "Crazy Annie", which should have been part of its Soundtrack, but heard as patr of the instrumental score in the movie.

I would have liked to hear a whole "Carolina On My Mind", as opposed to just a 40-second excerpt. There's a bit of "Louie, Louie" played on the piano, inserted near the end of "Anyway That You Want Me", which is one of my favorite cuts as is, "One Fine Summer Morning", "I'll Hold Out My Hand", "It's This I Am I Find" and "Close Your Eyes, Cross Your Fingers". And even an otherwise ordinary, "Until It's Time For You To Go", Evie also makes good on.

Glad the CD also included the new liner notes and musician credits. Evie Sands is still a truly great and under-rated singer.

Dave

...in rare, undiluted and remarkable form, too... :laugh:

The only Evie Sands I have is the Harvest LP called ESTATE OF MIND. It was produced by Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter and has their soul/rock sound. How does this album compare soundwise?

I don't have E.O.M. but do have her recent release, WOMEN IN PRISON, on the Trainwreck label. Chip Taylor, producer of SP 4239, participated, and the disc has a country-soul-blues orientation.
Taylor, along with Violinist Carrie Rodrigues, also record for Trainwreck and I've seen them perform live a few times.
JB

Mike Blakesley said:
The only Evie Sands I have is the Harvest LP called ESTATE OF MIND. It was produced by Dennis Lambert & Brian Potter and has their soul/rock sound. How does this album compare soundwise?

Well, I've got ESTATE OF MIND, myself. And her RCA album, SUSPENDED ANIMATION, too; produced by We Five's Michael Stewart.

As for ANY WAY's sound...You Have To Hear It To Believe It!!!!

Really, it's a good mixture of Country, Rock, Pop, Soul, R&B and maybe some Jazz (weelll, "Maybe Tomorrow", seems to be that "hint" of it, not exactly Billie Holiday, though). :wink:

Oh, and it's HAVEN, not Harvest, that Evie did ESTATE OF MIND on... :twitchy:

Lambert & Potter may even be owners of that Capitol subsidiary, too.

Dave

I've never owned any Evie Sands, but stumbled onto a track from ANY WAY THAT YOU WANT ME tonight on YouTube. It intrigued me enough to look into the album further and I see that Revola Records reissued it in the UK. http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola-exd.asp?id=2527

It's interesting enough that I ordered a copy.

Harry

Just read via facebook Evie will be opening for Jeremy Spencer, formerly of Fleetwood Mac, on his west coast tour later this year. Maybe she can find out what happened to the unreleased Children of God album, THIS IS OUR TIME (SP 4231) in which he was supposed to participate.
JB

"I'll Hold Out My Hand" was done by The Clique and a Dunhill/ABC band, Smith...

"But You Know I Love You" was by Kenny Rogers & The 1st Edition...

Quite a lot of good songwriters & songs offered here & for a time it was fairly easy to map out & get nearly all of, in the Golden Age of Hard Copy Media...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom