🎵 AotW AOTW: Gap Mangione - GAP MANGIONE! (SP-4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gap Mangione
GAP MANGIONE!

A&M SP-4621

sp4621.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl

Produced by Gap Mangione
Executive Producer: Chuck Mangione
Musical Coordinator/Production Assistance: Steve Gadd

Songs:
  • 1. Theme From Picnic (G.W. Duning) - 4:17
    2. "The Graduate" Medley: [list:3ba0c55ee0]a) Scarborough Fair/Canticle (Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel) - 1:21
    b) The Sound Of Silence (Paul Simon) - 1:42
    c) Mrs. Robinson (Paul Simon) - 3:43
3. Laughter In The Rain (N. Sedaka/P. Cody) - 4:26
4. Little Lady, Little Man (Gap Mangione) - 1:29
5. Hill Where The Lord Hides (Chuck Mangione) - 5:45
6. Legacy (Main Theme) (Chuck Mangione) - 5:08
7. I Won't Last A Day Without You (P. Williams/R. Nichols) - 6:36

"Little Lady, Little Man" is for Ardis and Jason Mangione, with love.[/list:u:3ba0c55ee0]

Musicians:
Gap Mangione - Rhodes Electric Piano, Acoustic Piano, Hammond Organ and ARP Soloist Synthesizer ("trombone" and "flute" sounds)
Tony Levin - Electric Bass and Stick
Steve Gadd - Drums and Percussion
Rubens Bassini - Percussion

Recorded and Mixed September, 1976 at: Criteria Studios, Miami, Florida; P.C.I. Studios, Rochester, New York and A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, California
Engineered by Mick Guzauski
Mastered at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California
Mastering Engineer: Frank DeLuna

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Photography: Harry Mittman
Painting and Calligraphy: Brian Hagiwara

Special thanks to Tony Levin and Steve Gadd for making our 4th reunion so creative, exciting and a real joy. And to Reubens Bassini for joing in. Also, thanks to Jeanne Townsend.

This album is dedicated to Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, a beautiful man and a friend, who gave Chuck and me our FIRST record date.

Capt. Bacardi

This record starts off in a unique & promising way "Theme From "PICNIC" (Moonglow)", but instantly goes full-tilt...

"The Graduate Medley", done earlier on Diane In The Autumn Wind, Gap's first album, goes on a good run on a chug-chug beat, before quickly, too, it runs out of steam...

The covers of "Laughter In The Rain" and "I Won't Last A Day Without You" sound uninspired, as if they'd been over-done (& better recorded elsewhere)...

The Chuck Mangione compositions, "Hill Where The Lord Hides" and "Legacy (Main Theme)" also sound tired and not likely make his legacy any easier to live up to, either... (And with the way they were better-done on Mercury (even on the over-blown Double-LP sets), by 'Brother Chuck, why bother?)

Any mystery why Gap never got his dues in the "Mangione musical family legacy" gets revealed here: 'Brother Chuck...

"Nice try..."

Dave

Outside of "Legacy" this was easily one of the most horrible albums I have in my collection. Too bad considering the musicians on this date.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
...Outside of "Legacy"...

Capt. Bacardi

The resurrection of both, "Legacy (Main Theme)" and "Hill Where The Lord Hides" are nothing more than cold, leaden, boring prose...

In fact, where these two songs were originally represented by a full-orchestra, the backing besides "the high-caliber trio", are only augmented by the "trombone" and "flute" sounds Gap is able to coax out over this barren, bleak, minimalistic framework...

Even the one-and-a-half-minutes spent on "Little Lady, Little Man" are put to more redeeming use...

Stick w/ She & I (also issued as ...And The Kids Call It "Boogie"), Gap's previous A&M-effort (the latter issued on Sangoma) as there is a more stronger appeal, even in this same type of setting, owed to better arrangements & more workable compositions...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom