🎵 AotW AOTW: Gato Barbieri - CALIENTE! (SP-4597)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Gato Barbieri
CALIENTE!

A&M SP-4597

sp4597.jpg

Released 1976
Peaked at #4 on the Jazz Album charts (1976) and #75 on the Pop Album charts (1977)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Herb Alpert
Associate Producer: Michelle Barbieri

Songs:
  • 1. Fireflies (Gato Barbieri) - 5:28
    2. Fiesta (Gato Barbieri) - 5:07
    3. Europa (Earth's Cry Heaven's Smile) (Devadip Carlos Santana/Tom Coster) - 4:07
    4. Don't Cry Rochelle (Gato Barbieri) - 4:55
    5. Adios - Part I (Gato Barbieri) - :33
    6. I Want You (Leon Ware/Arthur Ross) - 5:53
    7. Behind The Rain (Herb Alpert) - 5:37
    8. Los Desperados (Gato Barbieri) - 6:15
    9. Adios - Part II (Gato Barbieri) - :59

Arranged by Gato Barbieri
    Orchestrations Arranged & Conducted by Jay Chattaway

Musicians:
Gato Barbieri - Tenor Sax
Lenny White - Drums
Gary King - Bass
Eric Gale - Guitar
David Spinozza - Guitar
Joe Beck - Guitar
Eddy Martinez - Keyboards
Don Grolnick - Keyboards and Synthesizer
Ralph MacDonald - Percussion
Cachete Maldonado - Percussion
Mtume - Percussion
Trumpets: Marvin Stamm, Bernie Glow, Randy Brecker, Irvin Markowitz
Trombones: Wayne Andre, David Taylor, Paul Faulise
Strings: Alfred Brown, David Nadien, Charles McCracken, Theodore Israel, Matthew Raimondi, Harry Cykman, Harry Glickman, Alan Shulman, Max Ellen, Harold Kohon, Max Pollikoff, Harry Lookofsky, Paul Gershman

Recorded at A&R Studios RI, New York
Engineer: Don Hahn
Assistant Engineers: Tom Bush and Dave Smith
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman, A&M Studios, Hollywood, California

Art Directions: Roland Young
Album Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Bill King
Fire Eater Photo: Raul Vega
Liner notes: Gato Barbieri

Capt. Bacardi

Does the album say that only Carlos Santana wrote "Europa"? It was actually co-written by Carlos and Tom Coster, Santana's keyboardist at the time....more trivia for you all....

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
Does the album say that only Carlos Santana wrote "Europa"? It was actually co-written by Carlos and Tom Coster, Santana's keyboardist at the time....more trivia for you all....

The CD I have lists Tom Coster as co-composer. The cassette I have predictably lists co composers - and I don't own an LP of CALIENTE.

Harry

Man, does this album bring back many beautiful memories for me. I bought this album in late '84 at my friend's uncle's record shop, and was automatically hooked! But admittedly,(at least for me) Gato is an acquired taste. I was 18 years old when I first got this album, and the music was a bit overwhelming( I'm translating this back into that period in my life), but I guess by now that I would call it overwhelmingly beautiful. I guess that was used to more 'light' jazz at that time, and Gato's music was a little too 'heavy' for me, so for a while, I stopped listening to it.

However, as I matured, and listened to more types of music, and different types of jazz, I came back to Gato's music, and this album in particular. I honestly have to say that every cut on this album is truly a winner! Like Tony said, this is Gato's finest hour! From the brooding beginnings of 'Fireflies' to the absolute joyous salsa of 'Fiesta' to the hauntingly beautiful 'Don't Cry Rochelle'( I read Erik Estrada's autobiography, and he also said that this was his favorite album, and his particular favorite was the aforementioned 'Rochelle' cut.) to the horn and strings workout of Marvin Gaye's 'I Want You', to Gato's reading of producer Herb Alpert's 'Behind The Rain' to lastly the action movie like theme music of 'Los Desperados';every cut is a winner.

I would mention 'Earth's Cry,Heaven's Smile'(Europa), but I've heard it sooo many times,on smooth jazz radio it is practically a staple, on commercials,-even on an episode of 'Miami Vice', so much that by now it is kind of boring.No matter-it is still a beautiful song.(One of my co-workers,Deidra digs the tune,so that should tell you something about the power of this song after 30 something years.)

In 1976,DOWNBEAT magazine reviewed the album, and it said that the album works because of...Herb Alpert!! They went on to say that Herb brought out something in Gato's performance with the addition of horns,strings,electric keyboards to envelope Gato's already powerful sound. Yep, to quote Tony again, this is/was Gato's finest hour.

P.S.:DOWNBEAT gave !CALIENTE!, I believe three and a half stars. That's practically great for them!!

jazzdre said:
I would mention 'Earth's Cry,Heaven's Smile'(Europa), but I've heard it sooo many times,on smooth jazz radio it is practically a staple, on commercials,-even on an episode of 'Miami Vice',

Boy do I remember that one! :D I never really got into Gato, but had "Europa" on one of the CTi audiophile samplers in the 80s and grew to like it. When I heard it on Miami Vice, of course I took notice...especially since it involved a t-shirt, a water bottle, a blonde and a lot of imagination. :D

I like it better than Santana's own version. Gato's is more lusty.

As far as a commercial effort this is an exceptional album. It's amazing how "Europa" still holds up today 34 years later. I recall an interview Herb did about this recording on how Gato opened his eyes on how to produce a jazz record. Gato's attitude was "I'll keep playing it until you like it", which Herb didn't care for at first, but then he realized that's how a jazz musican is. He simply had to give Gato his space to do what he wanted over the backdrop that Herb and Jay Chattaway had provided. It seemed to work.

Capt. Bacardi

I never tire of this album. Along with the "Last Tango In Paris" soundtrack it remains a favorite to this day. Lenny White's drumming is superb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom