🎷 AotW: Horizon HERB ALPERT/HUGH MASEKELA (SP-728)

Horizon label releases.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 5 38.5%

Votes: 5 38.5%

Votes: 2 15.4%

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oh, and BTW: I have never found out the true name of the song "Lobo," which was written by Edu Lobo. I'd like to find it on whatever album Edu may have had it on.

Yeah, "Main Event" was better. The track "She-Been" off that album got a lot of FM airplay when that came out and I always wondered why that was not a hit single for the guys.

Our thought was that the song "Lobo" probably wasn't originally actually titled "Lobo" and that it was given that title by Herb for inclusion on the album. It's not without precedent that a song has multiple titles on different albums by different artists. My guess is that the song really had no other title, was given to Herb by Edu Lobo, and that no-one else of note has managed to record it.

Here's a banner ad that was used to promote the first Alpert/Masekela album. Note that the design of the ad preceeded and foretold the artwork style for the MAIN EVENT LIVE album.

HerbHughBannerAd.jpg

Harry

Last edited:
Main Event is great. Love Besame Mucho on it. Love hearing Jonas Gwangwa. Caiphus Semenya has composed some beautiful tunes. See Masekel'a recording of Ziph'nkomo. It's lovely. Really hope Mr Alpert does indeed re-release both Herb/Hugh cd's - they could do it on one cd and I'd be perfectly happy...

thesmedman said:
. Really hope Mr Alpert does indeed re-release both Herb/Hugh cd's - they could do it on one cd and I'd be perfectly happy...

What would be even better is if they released more of the live gigs this album was made from. IIRC, they had performed some other songs in concert also. Probably plenty to fill out an 80 minute CD if not more.

I read somewhere this song was the inspiration for African Summer. It does have similar licks.

PS The Herb/Hugh forum threads are closed to comments so I hope this is newsworthy for a new thread.

I posted this in another thread, but this is the source of the track "Lobo" from the album. It's the title track of Edu Lobo's Limite das Águas album (1976).

Back
Top Bottom