🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - JUST YOU AND ME (SP-4591)

What Is Your Favorite Song?

• Promenade

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Musique

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Just You And Me

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Grandpa Lou

• Aria

• Yankee Doodle

• Spanish Nights

• One Night Lover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Lady Needs Romance

• The Day Will Come

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
The most expensive copy in Discogs right now is $19.99, plus shipping. 83 copies total. Many are rated Near Mint. Seeing the album wasn't all that popular, my guess is that copies will be less worn than other titles.

Some of those third party Amazon sellers are waiting for a sucker to come along and spend that kind of money on it...

I noticed that my promo copy didn't match the one up on Discogs. Theirs was a Monarch pressing and mine is not, so I just did some scans and entered my version.

My other copy is a stock copy that looks brand new.

I think one of mine is a promo. The most recent (and one used for the needle drop) was the sealed copy I got rather inexpensively. The third copy is the one I got originally when it came out, and let's just say the condition of it is...lacking. 😁

There are some pretty heavy hitters playing with Herb here, also Herb gets piano credit, didn't have Julius on vibes because this was a true new solo effort, he used Emil Richards, one of the best. Furthermore he wrote every song other than the "Yankee Doodle" nod to the bicentennial. Such an underrated album...

When Herb and company were working on the reissues, I suppose there were 3 main considerations:

Availability of the masters
Commercial potential
DId Herb actually like the record and want it out there?

I would guess that he probably likes JYAM as an album, considering it's his most personal work. He released other records that he's said were painful to make or were commercial failures, among other comments. JYAM was most likely his lowest seller, so maybe they didn't find the masters for it and decided it wasn't going to be a good investment. The fact that none of the songs have ever turned up anywhere else is another indicator that the masters are lost to time.

Herb has all his master tapes, including many of which that we don't even know. So, that issue ruled out, it likely did not pass muster in any other criteria.

The fact that none of the songs have ever turned up anywhere else
And as I've often said, every track from JYAM sounds like it belongs to that album, and no track could be thought of as coming from anywhere else. It's a unified whole.

As Steve said, grab an LP and play it or dub it from your turntable if you want it. Make your own CD if that's your favored format.

IMG_4077.JPG

And as I've often said, every track from JYAM sounds like it belongs to that album, and no track could be thought of as coming from anywhere else. It's a unified whole.

As Steve said, grab an LP and play it or dub it from your turntable if you want it. Make your own CD if that's your favored format.

IMG_4077.JPG
Wow Great Job creating your own CD version I did a similar thing for mine except not quite as fancy as this nevertheless im forever thankful I have this and absolutely everything else in my collection

Something funny to look back on. Prior to the Shout Factory reissues, a lot of visitors complained about there being almost no TJB/Alpert recordings on CD, especially the TJB. Some even came across as demanding that Herb release those titles. How things have changed! 😁 Thankfully with the ability to do needle drops, or even find this album on YouTube, it can be heard again.

Something funny to look back on. Prior to the Shout Factory reissues, a lot of visitors complained about there being almost no TJB/Alpert recordings on CD, especially the TJB. Some even came across as demanding that Herb release those titles. How things have changed! 😁 Thankfully with the ability to do needle drops, or even find this album on YouTube, it can be heard again.
Very true I for one am extremely thankful that I have what I have and the vast resources available to me and I seen some of those old post that were made long before I ever arrived I admit I kind of felt the same but I didn't know Herb Got his masters back until the shout factory Reissues came which answered almost everything for me I still have many recordings CD AND vinyl that have not been digitally reissued or reissued since their original runs all ripped to my devices for which I'm also thankful for. Including my needle drop of JYAM

Prior to the Shout Factory reissues, a lot of visitors complained about there being almost no TJB/Alpert recordings on CD, especially the TJB.

For sure. I have a lot of very vivid memories of TJB reissue-related "milestones."

- The time I used a record search service to find a "near mint" LP copy of Warm (and paid $41 for it)
- When I first saw the track-list for Herb's Definitive Hits release and quickly scanned it, hoping "The Sea Is My Soil" would be there (it wasn't).
- Listening to the said Definitive Hits and hearing those tape dropouts on Tijuana Taxi
- Receiving a phone call from Universal A&R executive Mike Ragogna (in response to a post on the Corner, I guess) telling my why the TJB albums hadn't been released on CD but agreeing that they needed to be released.
- The amazement I felt when holding actual, official CD copies of SRO, Sounds Like, and Herb Alpert's Ninth in my hands for the first time... and others later
- The giddy feeling I got when I read, right here on the Corner, that Volume 2, Warm and The Brass Are Comin' were all released as downloads

There are probably others but those are highlights that spring to mind.

For those who have NOT heard the song by the group, Chicago "Just You 'N' Me" (from 1973 "Chicago VI") (audio only) Sorry about that Herb.

- The amazement I felt when holding actual, official CD copies of SRO, Sounds Like, and Herb Alpert's Ninth in my hands for the first time... and others later
That Shout Factory moment for me was driving to the nearest record store and buying the first three CDs--Lonely Bull, South of the Border, and Lost Treasures. I remember that a year or two prior to the reissues, there was a lot of buzz online (elsewhere) that Herb was re-recording his trumpet parts. Yet it turned out he did that only for Lost Treasures, especially for tracks that were not quite complete (as found on the original tapes.) I never believed that gossip, but none of us at the time even imagined Lost Treasures.

Prior to that, circa 1988, I remember seeing the original album reissues appear in the stores, and that was some excitement also. I'd picked up everything except What Now My Love and Beat of the Brass. I figured they would be around and would buy them later. I found the latter in the late 90s at a used record store, but never did find the former. The only solo Herb CD I never picked up during release week was Blow Your Own Horn--never cared for the record, but a Corner regular (many years ago) was selling one, so I bought it just to complete the series. (Spoiler--still haven't listened to it. 🤣)

Another Herb moment was hearing "Rise" on our local funk/R&B/dance radio station. Bought the 45, then saw the 12-inch single a couple of weeks later right when it came out. Then the album. And watched the single climb the charts.

When I started getting CDs, I think the only things out there for the Tijuana Brass were CHRISTMAS ALBUM, and a few comps like GREATEST HITS and FOURSIDER. Then came SOLID BRASS and GH 2, I think, plus the purple CLASSICS disc.

It was in a newfangled CD-only store that I saw two Japanese TJB album - WHIPPED CREAM and S.R.O. and I snapped them up right away. It seemed like only a short time later that the first six and BEAT OF THE BRASS showed up en masse and I bought them all on the spot (except WHIPPED CREAM since I already had the Japanese version).

It was truly a delight to have LONELY BULL through SRO, and then BEAT OF THE BRASS all on the new Compact Disc format. As I didn't have a car CD player then, I used to use these CDs to make cassette tapes for in-car listening. The compilations served to fill in the holes digitally for SOUNDS LIKE and NINTH where possible, and onward to WARM and BRASS ARE COMIN' tracks.

Back in the 70s, I remember being in a downtown Philly record store that seemed to cater to the R&B crowd. I was just browsing around lunchtime and was surprised to hear tracks from the Herb & Hugh album playing loudly through the stores system. That "Herb moment" gave me the impetus to further listen to the HERB ALPERT•HUGH MASEKELA album that I'd sort of filed away as "not my style". The more I listened to that, the more I loved it. Still do.

It was after logging in here in around 1997, that I learned that:
- my SRO from Japan was a rarity
- even BEAT OF THE BRASS and WHAT NOW MY LOVE had been deleted earlier than some of the others
- BRASS ARE COMIN' had been released in Japan too, but I missed that one

I hadn't bothered much with JUST YOU AND ME at all. It was just something I brought home from work, gave a quick listen to and filed it away. Like the HERB/HUGH album, more listening got me into the album and it remains a favorite too. I can understand why it will not be reissued. There are very few of us who appreciate it.

The Classics Vol 1 CD was one of those moments also--it was the first time I'd seen the TJB's catalog on CD, beyond the Xmas album (import) I'd found at an audiophile store a couple of years prior.

I don't remember where I'd heard about Herb/Hugh, but I bought it and liked it right away, as I was listening to funk/R&B and jazz on the radio around that time, so it fit right in. One of my friends commented that it was the first time they'd heard an album by Herb that wasn't "old man music." 🤣

I remember getting most of the the late 80's A & M releases of the TJB albums in a special import store in Oslo around 1988. I remember seeing and missing out on the solo albums like Fandango and Magic Man. I later chased them down and purchased them on eBay along with the Herb/Hugh CD and some of the original compilations; Solid Brass, GH2 and Foursider. I never found S.R.O but at one point I actually payed $150 for a Japanese CD with The Brass Are Coming. That was many years before the HAP released it of course, but I still like seeing them together on the shelf.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

Wasn’t there a moment—-maybe just a few weeks—-where DEFINITIVE HITS was the only thing commercially available?
It might have been. I recall that the compilation was the consolation prize to Universal since Herb took control of his own masters (in other words, allowing Universal to have only this final Herb title in print, and nothing else). And this was prior to the Shout Factory series so, aside from any stragglers available in store stock, it's all that would have been available.

I think my oldtimer neighbors even have a copy of it. I overheard it when they were playing cards with some other neighbors one evening. 😁

Yeah, it seems to me that when DEFINITIVE HITS was released, there were just a few other titles that were at least "commonly" available. WHIPPED CREAM AND OTHER DELIGHTS, though not in print at that time, had so many releases around the world that it was still pretty readily available, even though it wasn't technically in print. Another couple of titles that remained easy to get were THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT as a Canadian or UK release, and a German GOLD SERIES release (green cover).

For fun, here's a typical old thread from 2004 that ponders the fate of Herb's music on CD:

...and one of our early threads on DEFINITIVE HITS as part of this forum's software:

Back
Top Bottom