🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - JUST YOU AND ME (SP-4591)

What Is Your Favorite Song?

• Promenade

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Musique

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Just You And Me

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Grandpa Lou

• Aria

• Yankee Doodle

• Spanish Nights

• One Night Lover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Lady Needs Romance

• The Day Will Come

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
Randy "Badazz" told me on Facebook that this might be the last one to be released. Randy said that it might never come out on CD.:shake: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I also like this album a lot.

Wasn't it released around the time of Herb's father's passing and dedicated to him? If so, may hold too many sad memories for Herb
to consider for reissue during his own lifetime.

Wasn't it released around the time of Herb's father's passing

I don't know about when his father died (maybe there's a dedication in the liner notes? I don't remember and don't have it in front of me), but the song "Grandpa Lou" is in tribute to him.

I recall reading that somewhere, but these days I can barely remember to change my socks! :D Good luck on me trying to remember...

I thought the original innersleeve mentioned it but I'd have to check when I get back home.

I don't know about when his father died (maybe there's a dedication in the liner notes? I don't remember and don't have it in front of me), but the song "Grandpa Lou" is in tribute to him.
There is a dedication in the liner notes at the very bottom i have the LP and i think its a nice and touching tribute.

I remember hearing Promenade getting plenty of airplay on AM radio station WNEW at the time of release when I was a young boy living in Brooklyn, New York.

All but one are HA compositions including gems like Spanish Nights, Musique et al; HA playing playing trumpet and piano and singing. I rest my case for its reissue on CD.

From what I can see (though I stand to be corrected) this is the only album not part of the CD re-issue series.
is there reason for that, or is it coming eventually?

Well, it would appear many of the later albums are also not on the Herb Alpert Presents label (yet) but this one sticks out due to it's age, everything else from that time frame has been done

I don't know, but my guess is that this album stands as the lowest seller in Herb's catalog, so there is probably no huge rush to get it out. Plus, the original multitracks might be lost.

If they find the elements, they could do a "Lost Treasures" two-disk set, and include the original LT as Disk 1, and then put gems from this album and a few other unreleased gems (we all know what they are) on Disk 2.

Yep, "Just You And Me" did NOT chart on Billboard Top 200 Album Charts OR the Billboard's Bubbling Under The Top 200 (201 - 225) Charts. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There is no indication that anything is lost. If you have the stereo master, then you don't really need the multi-tracks. The only thing that is known for sure is that it didn't chart.
There have been very few albums that originally didn't chart but got reissued and hit the chart albeit on the low end of the hot 200 The Monkees final album Changes. Released in 1970 didn't chart in its first run and was deleted shortly afterwards but when it was reissued in 1986 it charted at #157 or somewhere in that vicinity if my memory is correct and it was during their first Reunion revival. So you never know JYAM Just might come back one more time We Can only hope and Think positive.

Also Herb Alpert/Hugh Masekela "Main Event Live" (1978) also did NOT chart in Billboard Top 200 Album Charts or Bubbling Under The Top 200 Charts either. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I am going to redo my needle drop of this one later in the year, as 1) my equipment has taken a huge jump in recent years (with another change or two on the way), 2) I can clean it way better with the ultrasonic and vacuum treatment, and 3) I actually lost my original WAV files I'd made back around 2003 or so. I still have a CD I burned of the album. Somewhere.

I am going to redo my needle drop of this one later in the year, as 1) my equipment has taken a huge jump in recent years (with another change or two on the way), 2) I can clean it way better with the ultrasonic and vacuum treatment, and 3) I actually lost my original WAV files I'd made back around 2003 or so. I still have a CD I burned of the album. Somewhere.
I wish you the very best results on that and congrats on your equipment upgrades your needledrops will sound Even Better than ever as long as you have the original vinyl source in Very Good condition ( I still have mine) you can fill the void and DIY even if JYAM never gets reissued.

It seems to me that all of JUST YOU AND ME belongs together. None of the songs could be mistaken for being from any other album.

I found another copy recently, a cheap sealed copy. The only odd thing about it is that it came in a plain white innersleeve, vs. the dark maroon sleeve my other two copies came in.

Back
Top Bottom