🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert - RISE (SP-4790)

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
RISE
A&M SP-4790
sp4790.jpg
Released 1979​
Peaked at #1 on the Jazz Album chart and #6 on the Pop Album and R&B Album chart (1979)

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD​

Produced by Herb Alpert and Randy Badazz​
Associate Producer: Andy Armer​

Songs:​

• 1. 1980 (Herb Alpert) - 2:25
    2. Rise (Andy Armer/Randy Badazz) - 7:37
    3. Behind The Rain (Herb Alpert) - 5:34
    4. Rotation (Andy Armer/Randy Badazz) - 5:12
    5. Street Life (Joe Sample/Will Jennings) - 5:01
    6. Love Is (Bill Withers/Paul Smith) - 4:28
    7. Angelina (Pete Sinfield/Gary Brooker) - 4:13
    8. Aranjuez (Mon Amour) (Joaquin Rodrigo) - 6:42
Musicians:​
Herb Alpert - Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Vocals, Orchestration (1, 8 )​
Steve Schaeffer - Drums and Percussion​
Harvey Mason - Drums​
Abe Laboriel - Bass, Acoustic Guitar (8 )​
James Jamerson, Jr. - Bass​
Louis Johnson - Bass (6)​
Jerry Knight - Bass (8 )​
Tim May - Guitar​
Chris Pinnick - Guitar​
Carlos Rios - Guitar​
Manolo Badrena - Percussion​
Julius Wechter - Marimba​
Andy Armer - Acoustic Piano, Rhodes, Clavinet and Synthesizers​
Joe Sample - Acoustic Piano​
Randy Badazz - Percussion, Tavia, Moog Drums, Drums and Insanities​
Mike Lang - Fender Rhodes Piano​
Michel Colombier - Piano (1, 8 ), Synthesized Bass (1), Orchestration (1)​
Bob Magnusson - Acoustic Bass (1)​
Bob Findley - Trumpet on 'fanfare' (1)​
William Reichenbach - Alto Trombone on 'fanfare' (1)​
Michael Boddicker - Synthesizer Program (1)​
Tom-Tom 84 - Orchestrations (1, 8 )​
Paul Shure - Concertmaster (1, 8 )​
Ben Barrett - String Concertmaster (1, 8 )​
Jay Dee Maness - Slide Steel Guitar (7)​
Emil Richards - Percussion (8 )​
John Bergamo - Percussion (8 )​
Tom Tedesco - Lute and Balalaika (8 )​
Tom Scott - Lyricon (8 )​
Pete Jolly - Accordion (8 )​
Gene Page - Orchestration (8 )​
Harry Bluestone - Concertmaster (8 )​

Recorded at A&M Recording Studios, Studio D, Hollywood, CA​
Engineers: Don Hahn (1, 2, 8 )​
Assisted by: Don Koldon​
All Others Engineered by: Mark Smith​
Assisted by: Skip Cottrell and Steve Katz​
Re-mixed by: Don Hahn​
Mastered by: Bernie Grundman​

All tunes except "1980" were recorded on the 3M-32 track digital machine and transferred to analog for editing.​

Art Direction: Roland Young​
Design: Amy Nagasawa​
Photography: Barry McKinley​

Special Thanks...Bill "Rotation" Earl; Bob Findley and Bill Reichenbach for fanfare ideas on "1980" and to Don Ohlmeyer "NBC Sports" for the inspiration to write it.

Thanks to Randy and Andy for helping to show me another color in my rainbow. - Herb Alpert (I Love You Lani)

Capt. Bacardi​

As time passes, "Aranjuez" becomes more and more a favorite, but really this whole album is great.

Harry

I've appreciated the tour de force of "Aranjuez (Mon Amour)" although I prefer the much slower version Gabor Szabo (sounding a bit like "Autumn Leaves") did, myself! The dance floor ooompah of "Rise"..., the techno wizardry of "Rotation"..., the romping balladry of "Love Is"..., the urban serenade of "Street Life"..., the decadent prelude of "1980"..., the melancholy meanders, though squarely focused functionality of "Behind The Rain"..., and the fun and compelling confection of "Angelina"...! All favorites!

Nice how out of nowhere the album burst upon the scene as a credible comeback for Herb Alpert, and "Rise" became a run-away hit...! (And a mini-reunion of Herb & Julius, w/ Mr. Wechter offering a bit of marimba,--and knowing the song would be hit, "because disliked that constant incessant beat"...!) :laugh:

-- Dave

As time passes, "Aranjuez" becomes more and more a favorite, but really this whole album is great.

I was surprised to hear this on the single (which I had before the album came out), as I was more familiar with "Aranjuez" in its classical renditions.

I mentioned it awhile ago, but on Bill Withers' album 'Bout Love, the trumpet on "Love Is" is reminiscent of Herb's style. It came out before the version on Rise, of course.

Neat to hear Joe Sample playing on his own "Street Life." :D Although I have to admit, the version that works for me is the original 11 minute version from the same-titled Crusaders album (featuring Randy Crawford on vocals).

I had the 12" single of "Rise" with the stripped down version of "Aranjuez" on the flip side before the LP came out. I remember being a bit worried about the disco feel of "Aranjuez". But once the album came out I was blown away by the arrangement overall and especially by Herb's trumpet solo. Herb's horn was a true highlight throughout the entire album. I really dug his solos on "Behind The Rain" and especially "Rotation", my favorite track. "1980" was a perfect opener for the album, full of excitement and electricity. I was used to Gato Barbieri's version of "Behind The Rain" so it was really cool hearing Herb do his own version. That guitar solo rocked!

When this album came out I had been in headphone mode for most albums that I listened to. This album has a lot of neat little things going on in the background that I didn't notice at first until I listened to it with headphones.

I also must say that with the reissue from a couple of years ago I really like the new sequencing of songs for the second half of the album.

Rudy mentioned the Bill Withers album that has "Love Is" on it and I finally picked up a copy a year or two ago. The horn styles on that is very Herb-like, though clearly not him.

Ok, I know it may be trivial to ask, but where on the A&M lot was the cover photo taken? I love that mural! And when? In every video promo and photo still of Herb from that era, Herb's hair was understandably longer (hey, it was the SEVENTIES, for crying out loud!), but on the RISE cover, he looked like he did in that shot back in January of 72 with Richard and Karen Carpenter. LOOONNNNNNGGGG hair!
Just wondering...

I remember talking with Randy about that photo. The mural is similar to one of the album sleeves (Music....Man's Best Friend) and they thought it would be a good idea to have Herb pose in front of it. Can't say where on the lot it was at. As for the hair...I guess it was just long at the time.

alpertcement.jpg

Capt. Bacardi

Don't forget, there are two more A&M formats for the RISE album: SPJ-4790 RISE AUDIOPHILE (pressed in Japan and released by A&M Canada) and SPX-3714 RISE dbx Encoded Disc. A&M also licensed RISE to Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFSL 1-053, which is also audiophile quality - Original Master Recording.

The funny part is that SPJ-4790 and MFSL 1-053 were both pressed at the same JVC plant in Japan, on the same vinyl compound. It would be interesting to compare the run-out grooves to see if the stampers are different. I can tell from the initials who mastered the discs: for example, "SR/2" is Stan Ricker. I don't have the MFSL version yet.

I was one of the lucky kids in my block to have this album given to me as a gift at time. I was 12 and already a diehard tjb and bmb fan i was very happy to hear rise in the radio. And to refute my classmates claim that Herb alpert wasn't cool this album silenced them but good. I liked the opening track 1980 . That fanfare was inspirational and behind the rain really rocks even today. I remember as a student in my school band playing trumpet myself at home i would try to play along with Herb from the records angelina was very easy for me to play. And i heard Herb's version of street life 5 years before i heard the crusaders original version and aranjuez was a nice dramatic closing track i also loved "love is" with Herb singing i also noticed the numerous audiophile versions of rise on lp around thru the years i have the first cd version a&m cd 3274 as well as the shout factory deluxe edition with the bonus tracks . And both are to be savored and i think either cd version of rise sounds much better than say mobile fidelitys vinyl version i actually heard an mobile fidelity cd version of a supertramp album which i had the regular cd version of and i prefered the a&m original because it was better sounding the mo-fi version sounded like the volume had to be cranked up full blast to even be audible nevertheless as for rise in my opinion was one of the very best albums of 1979 an excellent comeback album for Herb Alpert . By the way if Herb ever reads this i would like to say " Thank you for recording this wonderful album".

The mural was painted around the upper part of the main A&M studio building . So Herb is standing on the first floor roof and the mural is on the taller part of the structure...

In this picture, taken after the Henson Co. moved in, the upper part to the right (now re-painted and grown over with ivy) is where the mural was located and on all four sides of the building... The wall visible here is on the western face (LaBrea Ave). Judging by the shadows on the Rise cover, the image was taken with Herb against this wall shortly after noon or along the southern wall earlier in the morning (and you can't rule out the northern wall on an afternoon in late Summer, either)...

1234743049_6b8dd70e4f_z.jpg

I know the feeling. My love for this album [admittedly] bordered on 'obsession'. Check out my photo of all formats of this album I've acquired over the years. I call it "Rise In Shrine".
http://toeknee4bz.minus.com/mbUsEj0fD

Did you ever find the Mobile Fidelity version or the A&M Audiophile version? I have the latter but have never gotten the former.

Our stores never carried the clear "Beyond" 12" single. I would know--I hit Harmony House twice a week in those days, scouring every inch of the 12" bins at the time...

Did you ever find the Mobile Fidelity version or the A&M Audiophile version? I have the latter but have never gotten the former.

I've seen the Mobile Fidelity copy before, although I never sprang for it because it wasn't an 'official A&M' copy. As for the AudioMasterPlus, etc., I never knew of any in existence.

Ya know what's weird? I was so in love with MAIN EVENT LIVE when RISE came out, it took me a while to catch up. I like it ok now, but MAIN EVENT LIVE was a very tough act to follow. I liked hearing "Rotation" on the radio more than "Rise." I'm hangin' on to my old copy of the A&M CD.

Back
Top Bottom