🎵 AotW AOTW: Herb Alpert & the T.J.B. - CONEY ISLAND (SP-4521)

What Is Your Favorite Song?

• Coney Island

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • I Have Dreamed

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Señor Mouse

• Mickey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sweet Georgia Brown

• Ratatouille

• Catfish

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • This Masquerade

• Carmine

• The Crave

• Vento Bravo

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I Belong

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry said:
But the big question is whether or not the albums would get full re-release treatment, or be included as part of a LOST TREASURES II... Herb somehow considered these tracks, and perhaps the whole album as "lost"... It all goes back to that sinking feeling we all had when the LOST TREASURES track listing was released: "Uh-oh - why are these tracks considered 'lost'?"

I would agree, but the optimist in me retains hope in the fact that "Last Tango In Paris," "Fox Hunt," "Save The Sunlight" and "Coney Island" did manage to nudge into the charts and they were excluded from the initial Lost Treasures... Besides, if Midnight Sun (my least favorite of the A&M era solo LPs) is getting the Signature Series treatment, then why not hold out hope that the mid 70's LPs (including the Masekela collaborations*) get the same?

--Mr Bill
*Main Event Live deserves to have the live versions of the studio LP tracks included as bonus tracks, even if the best track "African Summer" wasn't performed live. (After all, it was the only track that didn't feature Hugh Masekela)...

I read Harry's last post, and was planning to write a response, but then I read Mr. Bill's post and he said exactly what I wanted to say.

Maybe Herb plans a CONEY ISLAND issue with the remaining T.J.B. tracks from YOU SMILE as bonus tracks. That way he'd have a "new" album containing two more chart singles.

I recently purchased a vinyl copy of "Coney Island". It was one of those RCA Music Service maunfactured ones. I haven't listened to it yet but do intend to. I also got vinyl copies of "Beyond" and "Magic Man". My mom listened to a little bit of "Beyond" with me. I also got another Tijuana Brass album "The Brass Are Comin'"

Again I agree with Harry, also with Rudy!! Coney Island and Vento Bravo are my favorites. CI is a great Julious Wechter track. Fortunately my CI and YSATSB vinyl copies are white label promos and very clean!!

I just found (on Gemm) a "mint-minus" copy of this album and have been listening to the resulting needle-drop CD this weekend. It sounds really good compared to my old LP, which was trashed. There's a bit of distortion on the louder parts of "I Belong" but nothing compared to the old groove wear my old copy has.

I finally got around to voting for my favorite tune and finally went with "Catfish," although I will probably wish I'd voted for "I Belong" at some point too...they're neck and neck on my list.

Since I have never had a good CD of this to listen to until now, I'm discovering more of this album's good stuff. While it still doesn't grab me as much as the older TJB albums did, I am liking it more with each listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom