A&M SP-3038

sp3038.jpg

Formats: Vinyl, 4-track Tape
Released 1971

Tracks:
  • 1. Getting Up (3:55)
    2. Someone To Love (3:28 )
    3. Feel So Good (3:50)
    4. (I Fell In Love With You) The Day We Met (4:00)
    5. Brothers And Sisters (3:32)
    6. Number Nine (3:07)
    7. The Strip (4:23)
    8. La Costa Drive (3:00)
    9. You Got It (3:00)
    10. Theme For Susan (2:36)

All songs composed, arranged and produced by Jack Daugherty

Musicians:
Piano:
Jack Daugherty
Trumpets: Chuck Findley, Ollie Mitchell, Ron Gorow, Paul Hubinon, John Audino
Trombones: David Dahlsten, Charlie Loper, Tommy Shepard, Dick McQuarry, Don Waldrop, Dick "Slyde" Hyde
Woodwinds: Ron Starr, Jim Horn, Alan Beutler, Don Menza, Marshall Royal
Drums: Jeff Porcaro, Jim Keltner, Hal Blaine, Paul Humphrey
Bass: Max Bennett, Joe Osborn, Ray Brown
Guitar: Louie Shelton, Larry Carlton, Dennis Budimir, Joe Pass, Mike Deasy
French Horns: Marnie Johnson, Alan Robinson, Dave Duke
Percussion: Bobby Torres, Gary Coleman
Vibes: Milt Jackson
Vocalists: Ron Hicklin, Gene Morford, Clydie King, Venetta Fields, Jackie Ward
Violins: Erno Neufeld (Concertmaster), Jerry Reisler, George Kast, Bill Nuttycombe, Nate Ross, Gerri Vinci, Arnold Belnick, Marshall Sosson, Paul Shure, Marilyn Baker, Bernie Kundell, Israel Baker
Violas: Sam Boghossian, Garey Nuttycombe, Alan Harshman, Virginia Majewski
Cellos: Ed Lustgarten, Fred Seykora, Jackie Lustgarten, Ray Kelley

Liner Notes: Dan Clements
Engineer: Ray Gerhardt
Assistant Engineer: Robert Appere
Orchestra Manager: Jules Chaikin

Capt. Bacardi

This is kind of a neat album, somewhat of a contemporary big band sound of the time. Nice writing, fairly nice solos, great shouting trumpet section highlighted by Chuck Findley, and a very mellow alto solo by Marshall Royal on "Theme For Susan". A bit of a Basie sound on "The Strip", which works fairly well. My one gripe on this album is the fade-out during the sax solo on "La Costa Drive". The band was in such a great groove that it just didn't sound right when it faded out. I also could've done without the vocals on this album, but I guess he was going for the big production. I'd give this album 3-and-a-half stars myself.

Capt. Bacardi

I love this album. My first exposure was a promo single of "Brothers and Sisters" (b/w I think "Getting Up"). AFter that I found the LP and fell inlove with not only the music but the swell package design, modelled after a school yearbook (withy pictures of all the musicians and selected production personnel).

A follow up album I picked up called Carmel (I may be wrong on the title as I am 9,893 miles from my collection at the moment) was rather disappointing in comparison.

--Mr Bill

What does it say about A&M's support (or lack of it) that this was released in only one tape format....FOUR-track?

---Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty said:
What does it say about A&M's support (or lack of it) that this was released in only one tape format....FOUR-track?

---Michael Hagerty

Either that or they were referring to stereo 2-sided reel-to-reel...?

I know in the early days, there were a couple of different "endless cartridge" tape formats. This could have been a one-off release before 8-track became the standard.

Just a guess...

8-Tracks started eating 4-tracks' lunch about '67 or '68. Near as I can tell from sources on the web, the last 4-track was made in 1971...the same year as this album. So why make the only alternative to vinyl a dead format?

---Michael Hagerty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom