AOTW: Jack Daugherty - THE CLASS OF 1971 (SP-3038)

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 2 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Jack Daugherty
JACK DAUGHERTY AND THE CLASS OF NINETEEN HUNDRED AND SEVENTY ONE

A&M SP-3038

sp3038.jpg

Released 1971

Format: Vinyl/8-Track

Produced by Jack Daugherty

Songs:
  • 1. Getting Up - 3:55
    Trumpet Solo by Chuck Findley

2. Someone To Love - 3:28
    Vibraphone Solo by Milt Jackson

3. Feel So Good - 3:50
    Guitar Solo by Mike Deasy

4. (I Fell In Love With You) The Day We Met - 4:00

5. Brothers And Sisters - 3:32
    Flute Solo by Jim Horn/Guitar Solo by Louie Shelton

6. Number Nine - 3:07
    Trombone Solo by David Dahlsten

7. The Strip - 4:23
    Trombone Solo by David Dahlsten

8. La Costa Drive - 3:00
    Tenor Solo by Ron Starr

9. You Got It - 3:00
    Trumpet Solo by Chuck Findley

10. Theme For Susan - 2:36
    Alto Solo by Marshall Royal/Trumpet Solo by Chuck Findley

All selections composed and arranged by Jack Daugherty and published by Orange Tree Music (ASCAP)

Musicians:
Jack Daugherty - Piano
Trumpets: Chuck Findley, Ollie Mitchell, Ron Gorow, Paul Hubinon, John Audino
Trombones: David Dahlsten, Charlie Loper, Tommy Shepard, Dick McQuarry, Don Waldrop, Dick Hyde
Saxophones: Ron Starr, Alan Beutler, Don Menza, Marshall Royal
Flute: Jim Horn
Drums: Jeff Porcaro, Jim Keltner, Hal Blaine, Paul Humphrey
Bass: Max Bennett, Joe Osborn, Ray Brown
Guitars: Louie Shelton, Larry Carlton, Dennis Budimir, Joe Pass
French Horns: Marnie Johnson, Alan Robinson, Dave Duke
Percussion: Bobby Torres, Gary Coleman
Vocalists: Ron Hicklin, Gene Morford, Clydie King, Venetta Fields, Jackie Ward
Violins: Erno Neufeld (Concertmaster), Jerry Reisler, George Kast, Bill Nuttycombe, Nate Ross, Gerri Vinci, Arnold Belnick, Marshall Sosson, Paul Shure, Marilyn Baker, Bernie Kundell, Israel Baker
Violas: Sam Boghossian, Garey Nuttycombe, Alan Harshman, Virginia Majewski
Cellos: Ed Lustgarten, Fred Seykora, Jackie Lustgarten, Ray Kelley

Engineer: Ray Gerhardt
Assistant Engineer: Robert Appére
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman
Orchestra Manager: Jules Chaiken
Album Coordinator: Noel Woodman
Art Direction: Roland Young
Album Design: Chuck Beeson
Front Cover Illustration: Lanning Stern
Photography: Jim McCrary
Front Cover: Al Kramer
Liner Notes: Dan Clements

Capt. Bacardi

Talk about a who's who of studio talent on this one! Have never heard it though.

Is this the same Jack Daugherty who produced the first Carpenters records?

Isn't there also a "Yearbook" showing photos of some of these musicians who played on the album? With my copy long-gone, I wonder who's pictures appear in the gatefold?

Not ALL of the musicians do, but SOME are pictures (along with their instruments) and I wish there was an "*" next to their names to indicate which ones... :twitchy:

Dave

I've owned this album for over thirty years. You'd think I'd have gotten around to listening to it by now. But no...

Harry

Dave said:
Isn't there also a "Yearbook" showing photos of some of these musicians who played on the album? With my copy long-gone, I wonder who's pictures appear in the gatefold?

Yes, all of the musicians are in a a high school yearbook photo format, many with their axes as well (or in Hal Blaine's case, just his drumsticks). It's actually a little weird to see Larry Carlton with a full head of hair and a beard, whereas today he's very thin on top. :D

Capt. Bacardi

Being the Big-Band Music lover I am, this was one I used to play a lot! Sadly, I lost this one when a former wife "destroyed" my record, cassette, open reel, and cd collection! (We can hate, just as intensely as we can love...but I have digressed....:)
PS: I'm still in the arduo$ and co$tly proce$$ of re-building that collection, yet it shall never be the same! The same thing that can make you laugh, can make you cry! Ha ha ha....

PartyRico said:
...Sadly, I lost this one when a former wife "destroyed" my record, cassette, open reel, and cd collection...! (We can hate, just as intensely as we can love, but I have digressed...)

...I'm still in the arduo$ and co$tly proce$$ of re-building that collection, yet it shall never be the same...! ...The same thing that can make you laugh, can make you cry! Ha ha ha...

Yeah, man, I'm in the same boat wit'cha! :mad:

A lot of destructive relationships (--Actually I only had ONE...!) and gals I was just dating intending to form such have kind'a led to my collection having to be "torn down", then "rebuilt"... (Mostly because I couldn't find one who understood this kind'a stuff or appreciated it as I did...) [read: Who didn't call my music Sorry $#%^*!...]

In the case of Girls VS. Records, I found it hard to decide which was more important, though one certainly gives you better "Bragging Rights" than the other... :wink:

If only I was good at "obtaining" the former as I was the latter, though...! :oops:

Hence, I did manage to save covers of stuff, including this one, and surely someone who found my W/L Promo Vinyl at a Salvation Army or Goodwill or St. Vincent, managed to happily find a replacement copy for his beat-up wax, while it was clear the COVERS-Sans Vinyl, should've gone in the record rack, as my room got ravaged by a flood and that strong torrent of water after drenching everything seemed to render it unsalvagable even in the "drying process"... :cry:

Dave

OK, from memory I can recall the following musicians having their mugs (and instruments) on the "Yearbook Pages"...:

Jack Daugherty

Chuck Findley, Ollie Mitchell, Paul Hubinon

David Dahlsten, Charlie Loper, Tommy Shepard, Dick McQuarry, Don Waldrop, Dick Hyde

Don Menza, Marshall Royal

Jim Horn

Jeff Porcaro, Jim Keltner, Hal Blaine, Paul Humphrey

Max Bennett, Joe Osborn, Ray Brown

Louie Shelton, Larry Carlton, Dennis Budimir, Joe Pass

Marnie Johnson, Dave Duke

Bobby Torres, Gary Coleman

Was Erno Neufeld (Concertmaster) pictured? I'm trying to remember him (along with his fiddle) photo'd... :help:

I don't think any of the other String Section personnel are pictured, nor any of the vocalists... Being the String Section fanatic I am, I'm sorry I lost a lot of LP's whose "orchestras" are photographed, while trying to match those "names & faces"... :|

Dave

This has always been an interesting album to listen to. A nice mixture of styles, although the second side of the LP is a lot more jazzier than the first. Chuck Findley gets in some nice blowing space on "Getting Up" and "You Got It". My favorite tune is the bluesy "The Strip", with a nice trombone solo by David Dahlsten. "La Costa Drive" is a very hip swinger. Not an earth shattering album, but still nice to listen to. 3 & 1/2 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom