🎵 AotW AOTW: Joan Baez DIAMONDS & RUST (A&M SP 4527)

LPJim

Staff member
Joan Baez
DIAMONDS & RUST

A&M SP4527

sp4527.jpg

SIDE ONE
1 - Diamonds & Rust (Joan Baez) Chandos Music ASCAP 4:44
2 - Fountain of Sorrow (Jackson Browne) Benchmark Music ASCAP 4:31
3 - Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer (Stevie Wonder- Syreeta Wright) Jobete Music Co. Inc. ASCAP 2:45
4 - Children & All That Jazz (Joan Baez) Chandos Music ASCAP 3:07
5 - Simple Twist of Fate (Bob Dylan) Ram's Horn Music ASCAP 4:46.

SIDE TWO
1 - Blue Sky (Richard Betts) No Exit Music Co. Inc. BMI 2:54
2 - Hello in There (John Prine) Cotillion Music Inc./ Sour Grapes Music BMI 3:04
3 - Jesse (Janis Ian) Frank Music Corp. ASCAP 4:28
4 - Winds of the Old Days (Joan Baez) Chandos Music ASCAP 3:53
5 - Dida (Joan Baez) Chandos Music ASCAP 3:20
6 - I Dream of Jeannie* - Danny Boy** Medley (*Stephen Foster, Joan Baez arr. Chandos Music ASCAP) (** Fred Weatherly, Boosey & Hawkes Inc. ASCAP) 4:13

Produced by David Kershenbaum and Joan Baez for JCB Procductions

Executive Producer Bernard Gelb

Reissued on CD individually and as part of a box set containing all her A&M recordings

DIAMONDS & RUST entered the Billboard Top 200 on May 17, 1975 and reached # 11, remaining in the charts for 46 weeks, according to Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums."

JB

Joan In Hollywood...!!! Multiple Electric Guitar Set-Up's... Synthesizers Arranged, Programmed and Played by Malcom Cecil and Robert Margo-Leefaaaayyyy... "THE SID SHARP STRING SECTION, featuring our Concertmaster--: SID SHARP..." The Hollywood Horns... :nut:

You'd think given the irony of most compilations, that the LIVE version of "Diamonds & Rust" (which I like a bit better) would go on Hits, Greatest and Others, when she moved onto Portrait, after this and a couple more A&M's, including her Double-Live Set...

Dave

I had bought this LP just to hear how Joan did "Dida" (which, of course, was on Herb Alpert & TJB's You Smile - The Song Begins album). But I was floored when I heard the song "Diamonds And Rust" - it's a classic tune. It was a perfect fit for the mid-70's when I was going through my own "what is the meaning of life" phase (okay, so there was a lot of reefer inhaling going on back then). I still spin this LP every once in a while.

Capt. Bacardi

I liked the title song a lot and still like it, but I can't remember anything about the rest of this album at all, so I guess it didn't do much for me. I do remember that I hated the cover.

Today I'm needle-dropping DIAMONDS & RUST. I've had the LP since it was a current and it hasn't seen a ton of play since then. I've always loved the title track, and the rest of the album ain't bad either. Joan Baez' voice is not my usual cup of tea, but for some reason, this album was quite palatable.

Back
Top Bottom