🎵 AotW JOHN & MARY Soundtrack (Quincy Jones and others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Side One: Maybe Tomorrow (vocal by Evie Sands) 3:10/ Bump in the Night 1:58/ Lost in Space (vocal by Jeff Bridges) 3:15/ Silent Movies 2:11/ Maybe Tomorrow (features the Morgan Ames Singers) 4:18.
Side Two: Main Title 2:48/ J.S. Bach (22nd Fugue for well-tempered Clavichord) 1:31/ Wolfgang Mozart (Rondo No. 1) 1:58/ Mendelssohn (Opus 54, Variations Serieuses) 2:05/ Handel (Allegro From Royal Fireworks Suite) 3:05/ Maybe Tomorrow 3:58.

Producer: Quincy Jones/ Last 4 tracks of side two featuring the John & Mary Brass Ensemble conducted by Quincy Jones/ first song on side one produced by Taylor-Gorgoni Productions/ Art director Tom Wilkes.

A 20th Century Fox production/ Produced by Ben Kadish/ Directed by Peter Yates/ Screenplay by John Mortimer/ based on the novel by Mervyn Jones.

"John and Mary" is a "Love Story" clone starring Dustin Hoffman and Mia Farrow.
JB
CD: no reissue; however Evie Sands' "Maybe Tomorrow" was included as a bonus track on the reissue of SP 4239 ANY WAY THAT YOU WANT ME.

I have one single related to the soundtrack: "Maybe Tomorrow," b/w "Killer Joe" (from album SP-3023), issued on A&M #1163S in early 1970. Interestingly (to me, at least), the lacquer for "Maybe Tomorrow" was cut at the A&M studios, while Van Gelder contributed the lacquer for "Killer Joe."

LPJim said:
first song on side one produced by Taylor-Gorgoni Productions
I assume the Gorgoni of that partnership is Albert Gorgoni, a New York-based arranger who was involved with several Verve albums around 1968-70, mostly in association with Brooks Arthur. Who's the Taylor? Surely not Creed?

- William

Creed Taylor isn't a bizarre pairing if you think about it, especially w/ the Quincy Jones involvement.

But who knows? I've found next to nothing about this album anywhere on the 'net. :confused:

-= N =-

To answer my own question--it's apparently Chip Taylor, who I've never heard of.

(Creed would've made sense though, with connections via Quincy and Verve/MGM.)

- William

Chip Taylor sounds slightly familiar (as a production credit), but heck if I know where I've seen the name before! :confused:

-= N =-

Chip Taylor wrote the pop song "Angel Of The Morning" that was a hit for both Merilee Rush and Juice Newton. It's also recently surfaced as a hit for Shaggy.

I seem to remember Chip Taylor as a performer on a record or two back in the late 60s/early 70s, but can't recall anything specific. He probably tried his hand at performing as well as composing and producing.

Harry
NP: YE-ME-LE, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66

William said:
LPJim said:
first song on side one produced by Taylor-Gorgoni Productions
I assume the Gorgoni of that partnership is Albert Gorgoni, a New York-based arranger who was involved with several Verve albums around 1968-70, mostly in association with Brooks Arthur. Who's the Taylor? Surely not Creed?

- William
+

Actually, the Taylor in this case is Chip Taylor, composer of such standards as “Wild Thing” and “Angel of the Morning.” And who, by the way, also happens to be the uncle of actress Angelina Jolie. Alas, Chip is of no relation whatsoever to Creed. But you are right about Al Gorgoni.

Harry said:
I seem to remember Chip Taylor as a performer on a record or two back in the late 60s/early 70s, but can't recall anything specific. He probably tried his hand at performing as well as composing and producing.

You're on to something here. I do recall that Mr. Taylor put out a single, "It's Such a Lonely Time of Year," in 1968 on Columbia. That same record, a year later, was re-released on Epic.

Harry said:
Chip Taylor wrote the pop song "Angel Of The Morning" that was a hit for both Merilee Rush and Juice Newton. It's also recently surfaced as a hit for Shaggy.

I have Juice Newton's version. It's been years since I've played those old LPs!

-= N =-
...also remembering "Queen of Hearts"...

I read somewhere that Chip Taylor is also involved with Mannheim Steamroller and recorded "Convoy" under the name C.W. McCall... Just can't recall where I read or heard that, though...

--Mr B
back in the US of A

Bill-That is probably Chip Davis with the Steamroller. Yes,the Steamroller musicians were the same group behind the C.W. McCall records. They were advertising musicians who took a fictional truck driver used in bread commercials and made Billboard success in the pop and country fields during the CD radio craze of the late '70s. More info available at Mr. Davis' label web address-www2.amgram.com. There are some similarities between Mr. Davis and Mr. Alpert,especially the founding of an independent record label based on instrumental music. There are,as I have been told by someone who has lived out there, immense differences. Mac

Thanks for straightening that out!

--Mr Bill
getting his chips mixed up (which is why he doesn't gamble)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom